Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Soldato
Same Fiskars combo as myself. Very comfortable and easy to sharpen with a whetstone or a file depending how badly you ding them up.

The X7 is a very handy field axe for taking off small limbs and branches that aren’t worth attacking with a chainsaw.

Soldato
I've got a Fiskers X27 for splitting duties as well.

Coming home from a walk on Saturday we got talking to a guy chain sawing a tree which had fallen down over the lane to his house overnight (said it scared the bejesus out of him at 5.30am!). He's moving soon, so said I was could help myself to a big pile of logs. Even better, he didn't want anything in return but I've said I'll drop in some beers to say thanks. I got two car loads in the afternoon (hopefully more next weekend), so I need to cut and split it for next winter.

I don't have a chainsaw, so smaller saw I can saw or use my mitre saw on - mitre works well, even if you have to make a cut from each side to get through. Some of the bigger stuff I got won't fit under the mitre, so need to do it by hand. I do have a 30" Bahco bow saw, plus a regular 20" hand saw but having done one log this afternoon, it's going to be slow work. I now find myself looking at crosscut saws which aren't cheap but I found what looks to be the last company making them in Sheffield , Finn Garlick

https://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acatalog/LARGE-CROSSCUT-SAWS.html

The 3ft crosscut is £92 inc VAT. Has anyone got one of these? Will they get through the logs quicker than my bow saw?

Soldato
Chris5

I live just down the road from you figeratively speaking so you are welcome to borrow my Electric chainsaw.
I have used a chop saw and it's hard work.
Trust me if you are interested.
Will be out between 2.00- 3.00 for the jab

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@{SAS}TB how much was the X7 in B&Q?
I am keen for one.

I was stupid a year back and bought an x25 on offer thinking it be long enough as I am only 173cm/62KG - Was doing some cutting yesterday and the lad splitting for us had x27 so I had a few shots and it's way handier than the x25. x25 is a cracking axe, does the job, but x27 nicer in the hand for sure.

Soldato
Chris5

I live just down the road from you figeratively speaking so you are welcome to borrow my Electric chainsaw.
I have used a chop saw and it's hard work.
Trust me if you are interested.
Will be out between 2.00- 3.00 for the jab

Sorry, forgot to check back on the thread. Thanks for the offer DXP, very generous to offer your tools out. I have splashed out £20 on a new saw though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001IX6RA

Gave it a quick try last night and it was like a hot knife through butter compared to either of my existing saws. It went through a 10" thick log in probably a couple of minutes. My old handsaw would have me taking a breather due to arm ache!

Soldato
Good job you are young :)

The saw doesn't get much use now since most of my logs I buy cut to length -just need to cut odd one here and there. If you get tired just send a message.

Caporegime
Anyone had a chimney relined? Looking for an idea on costs.

We currently have an existing woodburner but the install seems a little odd. The flu goes through the closure plate into what we assumed was a lined chimney. This winter we've had creosote leaking out the closure plate down the back wall of the fire place. This means either the chimney isn't lined and should have a register plate rather than a closure plate or the liner is knackered.

Had a well reviewed local company have a look and they've quoted 2k to remove the existing setup and reline. This seems on the upper end of the scale I think, anyone got any experience?

Soldato
We had the chimney lined when we moved in / installed the log burner in this house.

It's a bungalow, so only single storey, but awkward roof so needed scaffold. From memory it was ~£800 for the liner / cowl / terminations,. scaffolding and fixings etc

Caporegime
We had the chimney lined when we moved in / installed the log burner in this house.

It's a bungalow, so only single storey, but awkward roof so needed scaffold. From memory it was ~£800 for the liner / cowl / terminations,. scaffolding and fixings etc

Thanks. I'll get a second quote and go from there.

FMF

FMF

Associate
Can anyone comment on Woodwarm log burners?

One company we are looking at only installs them so looking for some reviews if possible.

Thanks

Soldato
@Minstadave ours was £995 below is quoted from invoice

To supply and install a 6” (20 year guarantee) Stainless steel flexible chimney liner and all necessary pipe work,
fittings, register plate and cowl to your chosen stove (stove quoted separately). Includes all fittings, labour and
HETAS certification.
(904 grade chimney liner with 35 year guarantee is available for extra £200, which is recommended if burning
coal)

Caporegime
@Minstadave ours was £995 below is quoted from invoice

To supply and install a 6” (20 year guarantee) Stainless steel flexible chimney liner and all necessary pipe work,
fittings, register plate and cowl to your chosen stove (stove quoted separately). Includes all fittings, labour and
HETAS certification.
(904 grade chimney liner with 35 year guarantee is available for extra £200, which is recommended if burning
coal)

Appreciate that, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom