• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen 4" thread (inc AM5/APU discussion) ***

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Rumours suggest that these are going to be monstrous, not to anyone's surprise..

Soldato
didnt see this thread earlier although i was on the phone and only went back 1 page.

29% ipc is mad difference. back in the day my nehalem cpu lasted 10 years and was still going strong till i switched to zen1. now zen4 planning to make my cpu look like an intel atom lol. big leaps in ipc will deffo make the upgrade itch all the more scratchier.

Caporegime
didnt see this thread earlier although i was on the phone and only went back 1 page.

29% ipc is mad difference. back in the day my nehalem cpu lasted 10 years and was still going strong till i switched to zen1. now zen4 planning to make my cpu look like an intel atom lol. big leaps in ipc will deffo make the upgrade itch all the more scratchier.

A 5800X is already 35% faster per clock and clocks 25% higher. :)

An Octa core Zen 4 would make your 1700 octa core look like a quad core :D

Who said Moore's law was dead?

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Currently on a 2600, I think Zen4 may be the perfect time to upgrade. The difference in performance will be staggering.

AMD truly are doing wonders, I'm so happy. Not only have the caused intel to pick up the slack (which imo is a good thing, because competition) but I think once software catches up with the power of this hardware, we can make huge strides in just about everything

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

excellent. if ipc continues to increase at this rate then i will be back to dual core cpu come 2025.

I get that the IPC gains have been tremendous, but dual core? Nobody should be using less than 4 cores in 2021, even in a laptop let alone a desktop

Soldato
Currently on a 2600, I think Zen4 may be the perfect time to upgrade. The difference in performance will be staggering.

AMD truly are doing wonders, I'm so happy. Not only have the caused intel to pick up the slack (which imo is a good thing, because competition) but I think once software catches up with the power of this hardware, we can make huge strides in just about everything
While I think Zen 4 will be good I can also foresee teething issues similar to when Zen arrived so I think Zen 5 will be the right time to make the jump once the early adopters have ironed out the bugs.

Soldato
I get that the IPC gains have been tremendous, but dual core? Nobody should be using less than 4 cores in 2021, even in a laptop let alone a desktop

Technically in homogenous CPU designs the only reason you ever need or want more than one core is that you've hit a wall on your IPC. e.g. assuming same clocks, 1 core at 2x IPC is always better than 2 cores at 1x IPC. 1 core at 4x IPC is always better than 4 cores at 1x IPC, etc...

Soldato
Zen 2 and 3 did have amazing IPC gains but this 29% is pretty incredible.... real or wccftech clickbait?

The source is garbage. But even that garbage source clarified that what they meant was that a Genoa ES was 29% faster a Milan at similar clocks.

so yeah, BS and everyone went ahead with it.

Permabanned
OP
Technically in homogenous CPU designs the only reason you ever need or want more than one core is that you've hit a wall on your IPC. e.g. assuming same clocks, 1 core at 2x IPC is always better than 2 cores at 1x IPC. 1 core at 4x IPC is always better than 4 cores at 1x IPC, etc...

You can never achieve 100% IPC increase, it's much easier to add cores and scale on it depending on your scaling performance.

Also, the modern CPU cores are so small, that it is virtually impossible to offer only 1 core.
Except if you want your core to be 150 sq mm which is insane.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

While I think Zen 4 will be good I can also foresee teething issues similar to when Zen arrived so I think Zen 5 will be the right time to make the jump once the early adopters have ironed out the bugs.

Fair point, but I'm usually not one to get something on release anyway. I like to wait it out and see if there are any glaring issues, if everything is fine though then I'll happily jump in - if not I'll have to wait for Zen5 which is long, but at the same time I know AMD will have another year of crazy gains so that works too

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

dunno about you but i will take dual core skylake over a q6600 anyday.

Whilst that may be true, still doesnt mean that a skylake dual core isnt hot trash for todays standards.

quad cores with SMT should be the bare minimum imo. Same goes for the 4gb vs 8gb ram argument.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yeah I understand that, but I mean more so in just terms of how much more you generally do on a laptop/pc these days and how programs are becoming beefier and require more power.

Back
Top Bottom