Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Been using this monitor for a few months now and been really happy with it but since last week I've had a really weird issue.

I suspect it's Windows being Windows, but it seems to have night mode filtering enabled only on this monitor. Checked the monitor night mode itself and that's off, so no issue there. When I go into Windows display settings and click graphics settings, clicking back out of this settings to the general display settings turns the night mode off, but as soon as I change my focus off of that settings screen the night mode reverts back.

The actual setting in Windows for night mode is off, but if I enable it it seems to get applied again - so twice on the Iiyama monitor and once on my other monitor. Really frustrating!

Edit: ignore me I'm an idiot. Even though I thought I'd checked that f.lux was disabled to rule that out it was only disabled on one monitor not the other. Classic case of PEBKAC.

Last edited:
Associate
Question for owners, I have this connected to a laptop via hdmi but the max resolution I can see in windows is 2560 x 1440. Is there a way to fix this? I know it might be a bandwidth issue but I’d expect to be able to run at 3440x1440 at 30/50hz. It’s a hp laptop with intel 620 graphics

Edit: Nvm, used CRU set a custom res at 50hz and it works a treat

Last edited:
Associate
I've calibrated mine so thought I'd share my settings (YMMV). I used DisplayCal and the Spyder5 to get it to a colour temp of 6500K, gamma 2.2 and 120cd/m3 brightness. Settings (anything not mentioned was left at default):
Brightness: 23
R: 95
G: 94
B: 99
The icm profile is here: https://gofile.io/d/zYakZU

Overall I'm happy with it since I got it for £325 but I'll be returning mine since, apart from the buttery smooth 144Hz which honestly is eye opening, it's a downgrade from my 34UC98 in every other way. So back to 75Hz land for now while I save up for a 'proper' one.

You still got the ICM profile or does anyone have any settings thanks just received my replacement monitor got two dead pixels

Associate
Just to report my initial impressions after I've had mine for about a week now:
  • No problems with waking up after a device had gone to sleep - HDMI or DP.
  • Input lag and response time are subjectively good. I played a bit of CS:GO which I have 2k+ hours over the last 10 years and I couldn't really feel anything change in any negative way from my previous GB2488HSU-B2 which is a TN 144hz panel. Which I again count as a win. I won't even compare them in terms of colour accuracy as the GB3461WQSU is a different universe.
  • Works fine on 144Hz 1440p with Freesync on my Vega 56 and a normal "8k" DP 1.4 cable (ie < £12).
  • Works fine at 100Hz 1440p with HDMI on my Dell XPS 15 7590 and a normal HDMI 2.0 cable (ie < £10).
  • The colours are really pleasant if not amazing. I have not done any calibration but the hue is pleasant, both pictures and video look natural and in comparison with other IPS screens I have (like the one on the XPS laptop) and an LG B9 OLED, it's not distinctively worse, which I'd say is a win for the money.
  • The monitor isn't too heavy and works great on my up to 12kg rated monitor arm. I haven't tried the included stand but it does look like it would wobble on it.
  • I absolutely love the productivity implications as I work on the monitor for 8+ hours a day at my programming/ops job. Height is really good and even compared to the 16:10 24" monitors I've used before for work (and the 16:9 24" I've used for the past year), I absolutely love the 1440p sharpness and the height is more than enough for a text-heavy workload.
  • Immersiveness in games is not as WOW as I had imagined it would be but it is very pleasant to play RPG and racing games on it and the FPS games I play are not distinctively worse than a 16:9 given that I play with black bars.
  • From the distance I look at the screen, I get colour shift and significant loss of brightness/contrast to the point of it looking grey of the left- and right-most 2 pixels due to the viewing angle that happens. I would say that wouldn't be more than 60 degrees of-centre given that I don't sit closer than 50cm from the screen. I am not sure if it is due to the distance between the screen and panel and the topmost plastic and there is a refraction effect that happens at the edge of the screen as if I move left and right I do see the dark area. This is essentially the only problem I have with the screen so far.
I did pay £399 for it and even though I missed the deals at the end of last year I still am happy with my purchase. Overall, for the flexibility it offers and the performance level, I don't think I can buy a better monitor before I pay at least 2 times more for something like an LG 34GK950F.

Caporegime
OP
^^

Yup that's what makes this screen great, the price. Sure LGs etc. newer ones are good but they sure as hell aren't worth £800+, when you get to that kind of money, just save up a bit more and get an OLED, which will make any LCD monitor look completely worthless.

Have asked for the poll to be removed, should have removed it as sooner as the firmware was released to fix the issues bet hey ho :)

Will also update OP a bit.

I still need to send mine back to get the firmware fix as the issue definitely happens more often with a nvidia GPU.

Caporegime
OP
For those who sent their monitor back to get the firmware done, how did you go about this? Through the etailer you got it from or just via iiyama?

Soldato
my B Grade GB3461WQSU came today it was a bit of a punt as I dont normally like buying B Grade monitors as you never know what you will get but this unit has turned out to be in perfect condition and so far a stonking bargain for the price I got it at. It was definitely opened previously but the box is in good condition none of the bags had been opened apart from the stand. It just fits onto my desk/eyeline had to move the printer forward a bit. The screen had a few hand marks on it but cleaned it. Been looking for dead pixels and cant find any, speakers work and IPS glow cant see any and not noticed any BLB so far its better than my 32" IPS 1440p monitor although that had next to no IPS/BLB too.

Its detected it as G-Sync after changing the setting to Freesync and turning the monitor off/on but I didnt realise when you do HDR is lost. Its either Freesync on or HDR on. Its going to take some getting used to from a 32" screen. Not sure whether I like some of the locations eg on this website I tend to be looking at the left of the screen, same with Outlook. Some websites centre so thats not too bad. Not tried any games yet. Colours etc out of the box are shocking going to try Temi_D's settings first.

Will need to send it of to iiyama to get the latest firmware flashed. Don't get why with monitors we can't do it ourselves via a USB drive or something....

I had a 27" Benq monitor forget which model it was but there was a firmware update to improve the refresh/blur. You had to create a Linux boot disk and download the firmware and tools to the boot disk. Boot it up (I used a laptop) and via a normal VGA cable you updated the firmware on the monitor.

Back
Top Bottom