Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
From what I've seen, most routers don't care if the destination IP address is an RFC1918 address or not, and will just shove it down the default route.

I don't think I've seen one that'll blackhole RFC1918 traffic without a specific policy or rule being put in place.

Most? I suppose it's a relative term and context is everything. Most here is going to be different to the vm forums or r/networking for example. With that in mind, PF - and likely OPN by association - doesn't route RFC1918 to WAN, same with Untangle, you specifically need to add a rule, I gave up caring what Sophos did or didn't do years ago (don't confuse ££££ retail prices with a free product being well maintained/updated), I don't recall testing this on Mikrotik/Unifi. Would be be surprised if ISP supplied stuff or retail products did? Probably not.

Soldato
Well my VM contract was approaching renewal time and I got an email saying they wanted to hike my price from £33 a month for 100mb/phone/basic tv to £62.50 a month for 18 months.

Spent an hour on hold to them only to get a guy who could only drop it to £58 - "that's the best I can do, sorry mate" :rolleyes:. Told him that wasn't good enough and got put on hold again for another hour before I finally managed to wangle a small price increase of only £6 a month! So I got it for £39 a month. I wasn't over the moon at £39 but working from home all day every day we need a reliable connection, and it is at least that.

Can't believe the ridiculous price rise they originally quoted me and the amount of time they expect people to wait on hold. The only thing I can think is that they are price gouging and hoping people don't believe they can get a better deal, so are just willing to put up with paying the vastly inflated prices.

If it wasn't for other people using my connection I'd cancel my home connection every single time contract ended and put up with it possibly going through.

Asking for a new contract or any whinging about price gets you such a weak "deal" compared to what they can find out the back if you put in a disconnect request.

Obviously this is a gamble and if they feel like it they can stop calling people who disconnect but worst case, you get to be a "new" customer after a month.

Associate
If it wasn't for other people using my connection I'd cancel my home connection every single time contract ended and put up with it possibly going through.

Asking for a new contract or any whinging about price gets you such a weak "deal" compared to what they can find out the back if you put in a disconnect request.

Obviously this is a gamble and if they feel like it they can stop calling people who disconnect but worst case, you get to be a "new" customer after a month.

that's my fear, i will not hear back from them. I think if after 20 days i dont hear nothing i will call them back and see if they will give the offer they offered on the phone lol. Dont actually want to leave, just dont want to be paying high price.

Looking online seems "new" customers can get 350mb broadband for £36 a month, granted im getting a sim deal as well for £14 more. But i can get a sim deal with another company for like £4-5 for same data/minutes

Last edited:
Man of Honour
that's my fear, i will not hear back from them. I think if after 20 days i dont hear nothing i will call them back and see if they will give the offer they offered on the phone lol. Dont actually want to leave, just dont want to be paying high price.
It's abundantly clear judging by the previous few pages on here that you will get a callback.

Soldato
usually 12ms on speedtest.net
however iv noticed its slower on fast.com.
something fishy here speedtest.net seems to always connect to a virgin server. i suspect that server is optimised to do speedtests and give priority for virgin users.

speedtest.net seems to hit 380mbit download
fast.com always hits 200 never more.

If you're going to come up with a conspiracy theory, at least try to work it round the facts. VM will choose to run it's own on-network speedtest servers, usually an on-net server will be the default as it has the lowest latency to customers, if it doesn't then you have bigger problems, VM (like any other ISP) only have direct control over its own network and thats where it guarantees speeds. This isn't a conspiracy, just how ISP's function and have since web caching first became a thing. Fast is owned and operated by Netflix, it'll have an on network presence to reduce bandwidth for content and i'd assume also it's speed-test servers, just as other commercial providers do like iPlayer, Amazon, Google etc.

Soldato
Most? I suppose it's a relative term and context is everything. Most here is going to be different to the vm forums or r/networking for example. With that in mind, PF - and likely OPN by association - doesn't route RFC1918 to WAN, same with Untangle, you specifically need to add a rule, I gave up caring what Sophos did or didn't do years ago (don't confuse ££££ retail prices with a free product being well maintained/updated), I don't recall testing this on Mikrotik/Unifi. Would be be surprised if ISP supplied stuff or retail products did? Probably not.

It's ages since I used PF and haven't used Untangle at all (though I'm planning to change that) but I don't remember using a router that cared what the destination IP address was. If it had a suitable route (such as 0.0.0.0/0) then it'd use it.

UniFi (USG-3P in my case) for example will happily try and route something RFC1918 via the default route:
Code:
xxxxx@USG:~$ show ip route 192.168.100.0
Routing entry for 0.0.0.0/0
  Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0, best
  * directly connected, pppoe0

xxxxx@USG:~$ traceroute 192.168.100.1
traceroute to 192.168.100.1 (192.168.100.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  *  *  *
 2  *  *  *
 3  31.55.187.180 (31.55.187.180)  3.616 ms  4.729 ms  31.55.187.176 (31.55.187.176)  3.639 ms
 4  *  *  *
 5  *  *  *
 6  *  *  *
 7  *^C
xxxxx@USG:~$

Fortigate too, this is a 200E. I've heavily reacted it to keep my employers name out of it:
Code:
xxxxxxxxxx-200E-01 # get router info routing-table all | grep 192.168.100.0

xxxxxxxxxx-200E-01 # exec traceroute 192.168.100.1
traceroute to 192.168.100.1 (192.168.100.1), 32 hops max, 3 probe packets per hop, 84 byte packets
 1  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <ptr removed>  2.989 ms  2.946 ms  2.895 ms
 2  xxx.xxx.xx.xx <ptr removed>  3.009 ms  2.951 ms  2.908 ms
 3  * * *
 4  * * *
 5  * * *
 6  * *^C *

So as expected none of the traces completed but both devices did try and route to it even though the destination was an RFC1918 address. They simply followed the default route.

IOS and Meraki (as much as I dislike Meraki) don't care either though I haven't got access to anything right now to grab some data.

I know at least some Netgear, TP-Link, Linksys & Belkin (sorry for swearing) stuff does too. I was last a Virgin Media customer about 8 years ago and used all sorts of different consumer grade routers. All of which allowed me to access the management interface of the SuperHub on 192.168.100.1 without needing any configuration.

I've also spoken to a colleague recently who was trying to access some work stuff by IP address (all RFC1918) but failing. When he sent me a trace it turns out he hadn't connected to the VPN but his Fritz Box was chucking the traffic out of the WAN port.

Edit - The TACACS server decided to play nicely so I grabbed some (reacted) data from a Cisco 927. Looking through the config there's nothing special about how it deals with RFC1918 destinations, here's it's just following the BGP learnt default route:

Code:
xxxxx-xx-xxxx-xxx-xxxxx#sh ip ro 192.168.100.0
% Network not in table
xxxxx-xx-xxxx-xxx-xxxxx#traceroute 192.168.100.1
Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 192.168.100.1
VRF info: (vrf in name/id, vrf out name/id)
  1 xx.xx.xx.xxx 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
  2 xx.xx.xx.xxx [AS xxxx] 0 msec 4 msec 4 msec
  3 xx.xx.xx.xx [AS xxxx] 12 msec 8 msec 8 msec
  4 xx.xx.xx.xx [AS xxxx] 16 msec 12 msec 12 msec
  5  *  *  *
  6  *  *  *
  7  *  *  *
  8  *  *  *
  9  *  *  *
 10  *  *  *

Edit 2 - I got a colleague using whatever the current TalkTalk CPE is to try:
Code:
Tracing route to 192.168.100.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ttrouter [10.0.10.1]
2 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms ae51-ner001.mlk.as13285.net [78.144.1.25]

That doesn't care either and sends it down the default route.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, I thought my connection stability was reducing a bit at times.

Bad enough with the ping spikes to moan to Virgin? Or is this not going to pass the threshold to get them to look at it?

(ignore the big red band on the very left - I was fiddling with my router and had to reboot it during that time so it dropped offline)

Soldato
If you're going to come up with a conspiracy theory, at least try to work it round the facts. VM will choose to run it's own on-network speedtest servers, usually an on-net server will be the default as it has the lowest latency to customers, if it doesn't then you have bigger problems, VM (like any other ISP) only have direct control over its own network and thats where it guarantees speeds. This isn't a conspiracy, just how ISP's function and have since web caching first became a thing. Fast is owned and operated by Netflix, it'll have an on network presence to reduce bandwidth for content and i'd assume also it's speed-test servers, just as other commercial providers do like iPlayer, Amazon, Google etc.

not realy a conspiracy theory as such. just wondering if other isps also do it e.g is you got a bt line and go to speedtest.net will it choose to run from a bt speed test server? fast.com doesnt seem to favour any isp in particular. do others manage to hit higher on fast.com?

Associate
not realy a conspiracy theory as such. just wondering if other isps also do it e.g is you got a bt line and go to speedtest.net will it choose to run from a bt speed test server? fast.com doesnt seem to favour any isp in particular. do others manage to hit higher on fast.com?

You can manually specify servers on Speedtest.net. With my ISP I get the full 600/600mbit to their own servers or there abouts, and it varies to other servers as you would expect. Some servers I see figures at or around 600 in both directions, some 600 down but not up, some significantly less. This is normal.

Associate
Hmm, I thought my connection stability was reducing a bit at times.

Bad enough with the ping spikes to moan to Virgin? Or is this not going to pass the threshold to get them to look at it?

(ignore the big red band on the very left - I was fiddling with my router and had to reboot it during that time so it dropped offline)

haha, your connection looks incredible next to mine.

I get fobbed off constantly and basically told to wait whilst they look into the issues in my area which they've been doing since July.

I've taken a second line out with BT today and informed Virgin i'm leaving, as they are absolutely useless.

3fe740662375bc08810484d33e231d05673b74c2-10-02-2021.png

Associate
is that due to docsis? large interference with something electrical?
Who knows.... They certainly don't, since they keep giving me a new guaranteed resolution date every 2 weeks.

If you look in their forums there's loads of people with BQM's like mine. I think it's just oversubscription and them waiting till utilisation drops off after lockdown.

I've been working at home since March and it has been getting progressively worse in this Lockdown. I need internet access all the time for my job and spend at least half my working day on video calls, usually facilitating so I need a stable connection.

Back
Top Bottom