Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
This is a fairly sweeping statement. I watched a programme (inside the factory maybe) where they were making mattresses. The manufacturer needed a big production unit, various pieces of equipment, dedicated labour for each mattress, plus all the materials required to put one together. After that comes storage and transport of big, bulky items (assuming the mattress isn't rolled).

Of course there'll be a profit margin, but I doubt your £500 mattress turns a £400 profit.

There's lots of evidence of it. Most publicly traded mattress companies have profit margins >50%: https://ycharts.com/companies/TPX/gross_profit_margin.

Then you can read some of the posts on mattress underground that discuss this very topic. The general estimate is at least 50% margin on any mattress you buy - with high end mattresses tending to have much larger margins that come with the brand. On top of this, JR prices have steadily gone up - a similar mattress from JL costs 200 quid more at JR. Their margins must be 60-70% I'd wager. On the other side, they are very open about what they put in the mattress, and the return policy is amazing - so you're paying for the piece of mind, in effect. Anyways, my complaint wasn't about JR specifically, it was more in general that I think mattresses across the board are priced far too high.

Associate
Are there any particular major branded mattresses that the JR Origin 1500 compares to?
I was looking at the Relyon Luxury Pashmina 2350: https://relyon.co.uk/beds/luxury-pashmina-2350/ which to my untrained eye seems definitely on par with JR but a couple of hundered cheaper when you factor in available discounts etc.

They benchmark against vi spring, I believe on some mattresses they tell you which vi spring model compares.

Associate
I finally settled on a mattress, I think. I got the Latex Opulence from latexsense, which is a 18cm dunlop core with 5cm talay topper. Bought it in the winter sale for about 1k. The equivalent JR mattress (Fusion 3/4) costs 1600/1800 in comparison - the only difference being the JR topper is removable as far as I can tell. I've had it for a week or so now, so far it's great. Much, much better than the Emma mattress I had - the latex is a lot denser and I feel better supported. I'll see how I feel after a month's time.

Associate
Seems like a totally legit operation, company director is a "Self-employed builder" and the company posts limited accounts. Not sure how far I trust what you are being sold by them at all.

Come on now. They have a retail shop you can actually visit and try out their mattresses in North London, and have been around for at least 10 years now. They're also official distributors for dunlopillo mattresses, and latex wholesalers as Yanis Foams. John Ryan is also a limited company, I don't see how that is relevant at all to their legitimacy. JR has a prettier website, it doesn't mean anything - you have to ultimately trust what all these manufacturers say. But implying that latexsense is out right lying about the materials they list is quite a claim.

Associate
I said not sure how much I'd trust them.. don't put words in my mouth.

Fair enough. I guess as a smaller operation, their margins are less so the product is cheaper. They seem legit from all the research I've done, but you never know. I spoke to them on the phone beforehand and they were knowledgeable and helpful. I'd still prefer to go to a showroom and pick a mattress but since everything is on lockdown, I took the gamble and so far the mattress quality seems very good.

Soldato
Fair enough. I guess as a smaller operation, their margins are less so the product is cheaper. They seem legit from all the research I've done, but you never know. I spoke to them on the phone beforehand and they were knowledgeable and helpful.

As long as you do the research, and ask them the right questions.

I'd say the main cost saving from the John Ryan product is that the one you have is made of 100% synthetic latex, vs the natural latex made from rubber trees you'll find in the John Ryan product. You can also check this as Latexsnese make no mention of having their products qualified by Oeko-tex, which is a huge deal when dealing with latex.

Associate
As long as you do the research, and ask them the right questions.

I'd say the main cost saving from the John Ryan product is that the one you have is made of 100% synthetic latex, vs the natural latex made from rubber trees you'll find in the John Ryan product. You can also check this as Latexsnese make no mention of having their products qualified by Oeko-tex, which is a huge deal when dealing with latex.

It's not the case, all their latex are Oeko-tex certified and natural. Here's the specs on the opulence:

Specifications
  • Latex technology: Top layer- 5cm 100% Natural Latex made by the Talalay process; Base-18cm 100% Natural Latex made by the Dunlop process
  • Composition: 100% Natural latex - halogen, metal and chemical free
  • OEKO TEX 100 Class 1 certified product. Eurolatex certified product
  • Fire retardant: Complies with BS7177 and BS5852
  • Cover: Easy care zip-off removable Tencel-Purotex cover
  • Latex density:Soft- 65kg per cubic meter, 4.2kPa, Medium- 70kg per cubic meter , 4.8kPa or Firm -80kg per cubic meter, 5.8kPa
  • Comfort zones: 7 comfort zones
  • Firmness rating: Available in Soft, Medium and Firm comfort rating
  • Mattress thickness: Approximately 25cm, 23cm mattress core with deep quited cover
  • Sizes: Available in all standard and custom sizes

Associate
Does the Oeko-tex tag number on the mattress give you the correct product on the website?

https://www.oeko-tex.com/en/label-check

It doesn't have an Oeko-Tex label. But neither do JR fusion mattresses. I think it is unusual to have a label, since I don't think you're allowed to label an entire mattress like that unless the entire thing is Oeko-Tex approved. The latex itself should be approved though. I'll see if they can provide me details on the latex certification. Anyways, thanks for the tips, I'll follow up when I have more information.

edit: see https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk/unde...tex-standard-100-certification-and-labelling/

update: Got the certificates / proof of oeko-tex for the latex and mattress ticking, and double checked the source. All seems good.

Last edited:
Soldato
So after skim reading through the thread and browsing websites for a couple of days now I'm still struggling.

Option #1 would be the premier inn mattress as both my partner and I always stay at premier inn's when we travel, if possible, as they are always comfortable. unfortunately the reviews for the company that supply the mattress are horrific and are at 31% 1 star ratings so I think they are ruled out.

Based on many of the opinions here I'm leaning towards JR but I'm moving in 2 weeks and ideally will have a new bed from day 1, they do have the mattress I am looking at as clearance but still not sure how much I like the idea of a returned mattress especially for such a small saving and there is a good chance its a straight no from my partner. (I appreciate a hotel bed is slept on by 1000's of people in its lifespan but there is something different about buying it for some reason.)

Other current options are to try out something else, out of the delivered mattress options the OTTY seems to be the one that appeals the most or the Inofia mattress from the rainforest as they still offer the 100 night trial and reviews are very positive.

Backup choice is to pick up an mattress from Ikea but only the cheapest HOVAG is available currently, I presume due to the stores being closed.

I'm sure the consensus will be to get the JR but any other advice would be appreciated.

Associate
So after skim reading through the thread and browsing websites for a couple of days now I'm still struggling.

Option #1 would be the premier inn mattress as both my partner and I always stay at premier inn's when we travel, if possible, as they are always comfortable. unfortunately the reviews for the company that supply the mattress are horrific and are at 31% 1 star ratings so I think they are ruled out.

Based on many of the opinions here I'm leaning towards JR but I'm moving in 2 weeks and ideally will have a new bed from day 1, they do have the mattress I am looking at as clearance but still not sure how much I like the idea of a returned mattress especially for such a small saving and there is a good chance its a straight no from my partner. (I appreciate a hotel bed is slept on by 1000's of people in its lifespan but there is something different about buying it for some reason.)

Other current options are to try out something else, out of the delivered mattress options the OTTY seems to be the one that appeals the most or the Inofia mattress from the rainforest as they still offer the 100 night trial and reviews are very positive.

Backup choice is to pick up an mattress from Ikea but only the cheapest HOVAG is available currently, I presume due to the stores being closed.

I'm sure the consensus will be to get the JR but any other advice would be appreciated.

Even if you went for the premier inn bed, I think the lead time on it is well over 4 weeks. Same with a brand new JR bed, you'll be waiting 4-8 weeks, maybe more.

A clearance JR mattress is the only way to get one in 2-3 weeks time. I bought one myself for that reason. I think their grading is overly optimistic - the one I bought was pretty dirty and had black scuff marks all over. I think if I was getting this in a showroom they'd knock 50% of the price off. I did manage to clean off most of the marks but it wasn't what I was expecting for "B" grade. Otherwise the mattress was fine.

Buying a mattress online is pretty hard - I think at some point you just need to go for it and expect a good chance of having to return it. I'd phone up or email JR if I was you and they can give you more advice on what mattress to pick. Me personally, if the shops were open, I'd go to John Lewis and Ikea and try out all the mattresses in person. Once I had a good idea of what kind of mattress I like (foam, latex, inner spring, firmness, and topping), I'd compare it with JR mattresses and choose that way. JR has a really great return policy, so that is why I'd lean towards them, even if I think they are priced a bit higher than other retailers.

If you like the premier inn bed, you might find the JR mattresses tough to get on with initially. Their filling is overstuffed, like other high end mattresses - which means they have these firm bumps all over the top, until it "beds in", which means the filling flattens out. You may need to factor in purchasing a topper to make it feel similar to the premier inn bed. John Lewis sells good quality toppers, both synthetic and more expensive natural fiber ones.

All the foam in a box companies have really high return rates, but they are a risk free option to try. You could go for the OTTY and see if you get on with it. Keep in mind though these foam beds are made from low density foam and just aren't supportive enough unless you're light <80kg. Most people return them for being too soft. John Lewis has the Emma mattress in store so you can try it out beforehand when they reopen.

JR articles are not very positive on Ikea mattress. However lots of people have Ikea mattresses and really like them. I actually have a HOVAG myself for my youngest. It's surprisingly comfortable. But if you look at its construction, by all accounts it should be "terrible" - low spring count, thin topper/filling. It's not particularly luxurious, but at only 180 quid it's not a huge risk either. If not picky about your mattress it might suit you fine. Keep in mind you can't return mattresses to Ikea, only exchange them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I finally settled on a mattress, I think. I got the Latex Opulence from latexsense, which is a 18cm dunlop core with 5cm talay topper. Bought it in the winter sale for about 1k. The equivalent JR mattress (Fusion 3/4) costs 1600/1800 in comparison - the only difference being the JR topper is removable as far as I can tell. I've had it for a week or so now, so far it's great. Much, much better than the Emma mattress I had - the latex is a lot denser and I feel better supported. I'll see how I feel after a month's time.

as you say, at 2/3 price of JR the foam in the bed looks near identical, just the non-damaque covers and detatchable topper, to enable flipping,
and there seems nothing to distinguish the quality of the natural latex.

All the foam in a box companies have really high return rates, but they are a risk free option to try.
it's a lot of hassle ... having to put your old mattress by the side whilst you evaluate the new one.
JL has some simba/bed-in-box mattresses I believe, it woulds be interesting to know how many people buy them after trying in shop. (post covid)

Associate
as you say, at 2/3 price of JR the foam in the bed looks near identical, just the non-damaque covers and detatchable topper, to enable flipping,
and there seems nothing to distinguish the quality of the natural latex.

Yes I think the JR finish is much nicer. But the latex seems identical, so I'm pretty happy with it - I couldn't afford 1600 for the fusion. Not sure I'd want to flip a latex mattress though, these things are super heavy. But it'd be nice to have the option to try and extend its life. Latexsense also sells the dunlop core only mattress and separate talay topper, so that would give the equivalent I suppose.

Soldato
Even if you went for the premier inn bed, I think the lead time on it is well over 4 weeks. Same with a brand new JR bed, you'll be waiting 4-8 weeks, maybe more.

A clearance JR mattress is the only way to get one in 2-3 weeks time. I bought one myself for that reason. I think their grading is overly optimistic - the one I bought was pretty dirty and had black scuff marks all over. I think if I was getting this in a showroom they'd knock 50% of the price off. I did manage to clean off most of the marks but it wasn't what I was expecting for "B" grade. Otherwise the mattress was fine..

You answered it here.. don't get a foam one I got rid of the Emma too hot and became very uncomfortable after a year.

Thanks for the advice, spoke to the girlfriend today and she's done some reading herself too and agreed I'm going to call JR when I wake up this afternoon to sort an order out, going to hold off and wait for the new one to come as the saving for B grade isn't that huge and given we have been waiting for this move for nearly 5 months a few more weeks in our current bed wont be too bad.

Back
Top Bottom