How do I choose a good 4k gaming monitor?

Associate
Hi All,

I want to get a 4k gaming monitor 27"-28"to play latest games on high/ultra settings on my PC and PS5( when it will be possible to get one).

I have AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB which I will be upgrading to RTX 3060 TI 8GB / RTX 3070 8GB / RX 6800 XT 16GB / RTX 3080 10GB just cannot decide which one is better to go for.

So my question is how do I choose a good gaming monitor? What do I need to make sure it has?

Any help and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Gonna sound like a cop-out answer, but at present a high-refresh 1440p model would be my recommendation.
I just had a brief encounter with my first 4k screen (for five minutes before it blew up), and yes, it was impressive. But it didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. Changing it for a 1440p replacement...
Assuming that you are a gamer, 4k is a real effort for a 5700XT, and only a 3090 is really capable of 4k at a decent pace.

4k is still coming on, we'll see high-refresh panels fairly soon, and another year or two we'll hopefully have midrange GPUs which truly can manage 4k without melting.

At 27", 1440p gives a superb image, and for the price of a decent 4k model you can go 144Hz+ with 1440p.

That's my thoughts anyway...

Soldato
3080 would be a requirement for reliable 4K gaming, yet even there you will see some games require tweaking to get a smooth experience. Also worth waiting for higher refresh 4K panels, as 60Hz is too much of a compromise.

4K is great for productivity, no question, but for gaming alone, as above, 1440p is still the sweet spot. The only 4K 'monitor' I'd recommend would be the 48" LG OLED. No monitor will come anywhere near that kind of experience, but it may not be practical for you given its size.

Associate
Take a look at the 27GP950. 160hz 4k 27" HDMI 2.1 (for the PS5)
Coming out fairly soon March/April.
Assuming it will be the same price as the monitor it's replacing (GN950) so £750.

Also you will need, like said above, a 3080/6800xt or above for reliable 4k gaming.

Soldato
I love my Asus Rog Strix XG27UQ the image quality is superb, using a 2070 super it does fairly well at 4k you may have to turn down demanding stuff like shadows/HBAO+/AA for newer games but it's not that noticeable.(Do not really AA at 4k anyway)

I personally though would wait for the new LG coming out as stated above or unless you can get one of these for around £600 or so.(i paid around £700 which was a good deal)

It also doesn't make any noise at all which some Asus monitors can do with built in fans.

Soldato
LG announced at CES that they were doing some smaller (than 48 inch) OLEDS.

But if it has to be a monitor then I'd go for 120+ hz refresh, IPS panel, Freesync G-sync compatible, they get expensive as you get better (supposed) HDR, but you are in OLED territory pricewise then. If you have the room a LGCX48 OLED or wait for the smaller ones to appear. Could be a while though. I use an Acer XV273K with a 3080 - pleased with both. An OLED with VRR and 120+hz would be the icing on the cake as a monitor (less than 48 inch). I think LG mentioned a 43 inch and a 38?

Anything from this recommended list from monitor review guru's TFT Central https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/awards.htm

The 6800XT or 3080 are minimum cards for 4k without dropping too mnay settings. DLSS 2.0 on Nvidia 3000 cards does a good job at 4k also in some games. AMD should be releasing something similar to DLSS too.

Last edited:
Soldato
That would be LG Display, who manufacture the panels for supply to tv and manufacturers, against LG Electronics who are the marketing company that actually sell TV'S..

Soldato
Not much of monitors fitting to that size limit and HDMI 2.1 for console operation requirement and none are available yet.
Besides LG's own 27" 27GP950 there are Innolux panel using 28" Acer XV282K KV and Asus VG28UQL1A.
Though 32" upper limit would only add couple more again not available models.
https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

Associate
OP
Is there a difference between those two cards?
1. link removed
2. link removed

I just don't get why one is cheaper than another

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Thanks.

Thanks for all your replies guys!

You can congratulate me as I have just received a PS5 Console reservation email from Base and ordered PS5 disk version at a normal price :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom