BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
I wonder if you could get TalkTalk G.fast, have Openreach do the install and provide you with the Huawei modem, and then cancel within the 14 day cooling off period. I can't imagine that there's a process to retrieve the modem, and I'm aware this is a bit of a dick move to make.

The alternative is you buy a Draytek Vigor 166 but they are brand new and the firmware is pretty rough.
Is it the Zt Link MT992 modem I need? seem to be for sale on the bay, or alternatively I roll with the Sky hub. I mainly use ethernet so wouldn't massively be fussed by wifi coverage. I can cross that bridge when it comes to it. Who knows, it could take months to complete on this house and maybe Virgin will have dug the road up :p

Associate
The last time I spoke to talk talk retentions they matched the Quidco cash back from moving to plusnet in account credit and added a bit more to match the price. I had already started the switching process though and I was responding to a letter they had sent me.

in other news decided to ditch the Vodafone line, quite slow on ping and didn’t feel as quick as talk talk, talk talk have offered me £20 a month for 18 months plus a £60 credit on the account. Been with talk talk 19 months and it’s been very replicable. Use my own vdsl modem and mesh WiFi but has been pretty good value and everything loads and works. Get about 61mbs in general. Cheers for all info.

Associate
What is BT customer services are like now?

Was looking at Btbroadband trustpilot review and it has a 1.5 star review and is really put off by it.

FTTP has now been available in the area and planning to move to zen for FTTP or bt.

Was first looking at zen first but BT FTTP offering is cheaper than Zen both are 24 month contract.

BT FTTP offer is here https://www.bt.com/broadband/bristol

Caporegime
If you read a lot of Trustpilot reviews it's people ranting incoherently or upset that their Wi-Fi doesn't work at the end of the garden. There's very little value in reviews of products written by people who don't really understand what they're buying.

My experience with BT has been faultless, I've never had a problem so I've never had to use their support. Zen are no doubt better in this regard but I'm not sure I'd see the value in paying extra for it when a short outage can easily be handled by tethering to my phone.

Soldato
Had to use BT customer support once when I was with them, my experiance was fine. Broadband dropped speed + no dial tone. Rang them, told them no dial tone and that was it. No fuss, openreach got sent out and the fault was fixed.

Associate
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I will go with bt, also called plusnet and they even said that they will waive the early cancellation fee if I move to bt which will make the move more cheaper.

Associate
Anyone got any recent experience on how long a new FTTP install takes now.

I was told by the cs that the estimated wait time for the install right now is 2 months, is this the new normal install timeframe now?

Associate

I was told by the cs that the estimated wait time for the install right now is 2 months, is this the new normal install timeframe now?

Organised an install for my Aunt for FTTP June > November for the install however there was confusion as to how to install it due to Openreach having incorrect information.

Associate

I placed an order for FTTP on the 22nd January and the earliest installation date I could get was the 5th March

Soldato
Just renewed my contract with BT and got given the Smart Hub 2 (Replaces the huawei + HH5 set up)

Question with the smart hub 2, Is there a way to split 2.4ghz and 5ghz like I could on the HH5 or am I crossing my fingers and relying on the system to recognise I've got a 5ghz capable device? Had a browse through the router settings and nothing stood out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m certain it makes sense to BT, it would take dev time to implement and 99.99% of the products users wouldn’t even know what the option was or did let alone used it.

Soldato
For the past 2 weeks, my line keeps disconnecting around 1am. The DSL and Internet light on the Openreach modem go off, then reconnect after around a minute or so. The disconnects have meant that DLM has kicked in and dropped me from 300mbps down to around 240mbps.

Dont really fancying ringing BT Tech Support as I'm using an OR modem and a 3rd party router for my G.Fast, and i'm sure they'll moan about it.

Soldato
For the past 2 weeks, my line keeps disconnecting around 1am. The DSL and Internet light on the Openreach modem go off, then reconnect after around a minute or so. The disconnects have meant that DLM has kicked in and dropped me from 300mbps down to around 240mbps.

Dont really fancying ringing BT Tech Support as I'm using an OR modem and a 3rd party router for my G.Fast, and i'm sure they'll moan about it.

If it's happening every day put the ISP supplied kit back and see if it still happens. You know when it's happening so you only need to connect it for a couple of hours for a meaningful result.

Associate
Ordered a BT fibre 2 line as a potential replacement to my awful virgin broadband.
I use a udm pro router currently, so I've ordered a hg612 to hopefully use as the modem with BT.

Does anyone know what the setup involves and whether I'll need to unlock the hg612 first?

Back
Top Bottom