BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
If I remember rightly, unlocking the HG612 mainly just gives you the extra stats ability. As far as the setup goes, HG612 in to the master socket, cat5 to the UDM Pro, then in the WAN connection in UniFi, set the connection type to PPPoE, put "[email protected]" as the username, password can be blank or random, save settings and walla.

If it's happening every day put the ISP supplied kit back and see if it still happens. You know when it's happening so you only need to connect it for a couple of hours for a meaningful result.

Yup, will put their hub back on, can't imagine it would make much difference, the line has been rock solid since Nov, just past two weeks

Associate
If I remember rightly, unlocking the HG612 mainly just gives you the extra stats ability. As far as the setup goes, HG612 in to the master socket, cat5 to the UDM Pro, then in the WAN connection in UniFi, set the connection type to PPPoE, put "[email protected]" as the username, password can be blank or random, save settings and walla.
Thanks, just checked and that seems nice and simple to do.

Don
For the past 2 weeks, my line keeps disconnecting around 1am. The DSL and Internet light on the Openreach modem go off, then reconnect after around a minute or so. The disconnects have meant that DLM has kicked in and dropped me from 300mbps down to around 240mbps.

1am is the usual time that DLM works iirc. So it's likely DLM has detected a high enough error rate that it's forced a resync at a lower speed.

Could be anything but especially including effects of recent rain/snow on old copper lines

Soldato
I got an ECI 061513 Type 1B modem yesterday but I'm starting to think I've made a boo-boo because apparently they don't support G.INP and I've lost 10mbit on my download sync.

Should I have got a Huawei HG612 3B instead?

Soldato
I got an ECI 061513 Type 1B modem yesterday but I'm starting to think I've made a boo-boo because apparently they don't support G.INP and I've lost 10mbit on my download sync.

Should I have got a Huawei HG612 3B instead?

If you're connected to an ECI cabinet then you're very unlikely to have G.INP enabled as Openreach have trialled G.INP on ECI cabinets (multiple times over the years) with limited success. Huawei cabinets are predominantly enabled for G.INP and would be best paired with the Huawei modem.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...al-on-eci-fttc-broadband-lines-hits-snag.html

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
Thinking of switching to FTTP 900 on BT - now that it is available in Solihull!

Only concern is the rest of the setup if Unifi with a USG currently connected to the SH3 on VM 200. I guess I’ll have to purchase another modem to make my setup work on BT?

Soldato
If you're connected to an ECI cabinet then you're very unlikely to have G.INP enabled as Openreach have trialled G.INP on ECI cabinets (multiple times over the years) with limited success. Huawei cabinets are predominantly enabled for G.INP and would be best paired with the Huawei modem.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...al-on-eci-fttc-broadband-lines-hits-snag.html

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm

Thanks for the info :)

I am a complete dummy. I already had a TP-Link W9970 router/modem combo which I didn't even think to check if it works in modem-only mode (which it does) before I bought the ECI modem.

I've switched out the ECI for the TP-Link because I know it can hold a connection like a champ for months on end, and it support G.INP. I'm using the Plusnet router but plan on swapping it with something better like a Mikrotik soon.

Soldato
You'll need to tell the USG to create a PPPoE session. Here's a screenshot from mine, the setting is in Settings -> Networks -> Edit WAN in the classic settings.
Q5gUK4E.png

Username - Anything you like really, mine is [email protected]
Password - Anything you like, I think mine is password.

this is really useful for future ref thanks. Will wait for a decent cashback offer before ordering.

Associate
I have been waiting for my Fibre 500 from Zen since December the 18th, originally the date for install was 11th January which the engineer came out and performed the outside part of the install but wouldn't come into the house.

It got rearranged for 22nd February, now I get an email saying its been delayed again until 26th April! That much delay for an engineer to spend 1 hour in my living room?

Other services are continuing during this pandemic, including boiler repairs and maintenance, car servicing. Why can't Openreach have an engineer in my house taking precautions, like face mask, open windows, empty room.

This is very annoying!

Caporegime
Because you getting a faster internet connection when you already have a superfast service isn't an essential task, whereas ensuring people have access to hot water and a safe vehicle is. If you currently have a slow broadband service then they are progressing the in-home FTTP appointments.

Back
Top Bottom