• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Everyone have their clicking fingers limbered up and ready? Logged in to [REDACTED]? :p

The Telegram alerts came through at 15:09 last week.

3080 founders seems tasty

Everyone have their clicking fingers limbered up and ready? Logged in to [REDACTED]? :p

The Telegram alerts came through at 15:09 last week.

nothing yet

Doesn’t look like anything happening for founders drops today

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Been doing some load testing on my 3080 FE.

If you let the thing run free at full load the power usage is a bit crazy (afterburner now reporting actual usage instead of %), but the temps are very respectable considering (cooler than my old AIB 1080ti), I then tried it on a load to emulate what sort of load I get playing my older games and it barely uses 70watts. :)

A2B

A2B

Associate
just looked a bit into mining, turns out that the DDR6x RAM on the Founders 3080+ is apparently running super-hot, over 100C. mining seems to stress memory most so it probably doesn't matter for gaming, but apparently some AIB cards have better mem cooling than the Founders. And the 3060Ti is the most power efficient for mining (better SKUs are of course faster, but get less power efficient so use more electricity per work done). 70 isn't much worse.

Soldato
just looked a bit into mining, turns out that the DDR6x RAM on the Founders 3080+ is apparently running super-hot, over 100C. mining seems to stress memory most so it probably doesn't matter for gaming, but apparently some AIB cards have better mem cooling than the Founders. And the 3060Ti is the most power efficient for mining (better SKUs are of course faster, but get less power efficient so use more electricity per work done). 70 isn't much worse.

Some right up to 110c where it throttles, it's compounded on the 3090 by the extra memory on the backplate. Not just something you see in mining btw but if you try to overclock memory you may hit the same issue in gaming.... However as most people run an undervolt for power efficiency when mining the core stays cool and unless you do something with the fan curve they just don't ramp up = cooking vram as the blow through fan seems to have quite a big effect on vram temps.

I know there's an argument that this is a new tech and we don't technically have max temp figures yet for where damage actually occurs, but micron suggest 95c as the top of the operating temperature range on their site (but no reference as to whether that is Tj or not) so I personally wouldn't be comfortable running my extremely expensive and sought after card above 95c on the memory temps for such long periods of time like you see with mining until we know more. You could assume that as it doesn't throttle until 110 that's the limit, but I'm not so happy with that logic - I'll let others find out ;)

Soldato
I've finally got my 3080FE set up and the cooler is a beast, the GPU temperature is below 75C at all times, mostly around 70C and most of all it is a lot quieter than I was expecting (barring some coil whine which can be obnoxious at times). I'd say it's equivalent to a high quality AIB card. The build quality is also fantastic.

Last edited:

A2B

A2B

Associate
so I personally wouldn't be comfortable running my extremely expensive and sought after card above 95c on the memory temps for such long periods of time like you see with mining until we know more. You could assume that as it doesn't throttle until 110 that's the limit, but I'm not so happy with that logic - I'll let others find out ;)

yeah I definitely wouldn't risk it long-term on a 3090 (it's not power efficient enough anyway). 60ti/70 seems to be the sweet spot right now.

Soldato
I really like the design of the RTX 3070 FE, the length of the graphics card means it actually fits in a 'normal' / older case. I had to cut away at my old case's hard drive cage to fit in a R9 390, previously. The cooler itself seems to work well, and the overall design looks sturdy and quite stylish.

One weird thing I noticed is the PC beeps for a longer period of time when it boots, no idea why. Maybe the BIOS or power supply is 'complaining'? Seems totally fine apart from that.

Only downside to the 3070 FE seems to be the BIOS power limit.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah I definitely wouldn't risk it long-term on a 3090 (it's not power efficient enough anyway). 60ti/70 seems to be the sweet spot right now.

It’s not particularly inefficient once properly set up... if I didn’t care about frying my memory I could get 125MH/s at around 280w which compares reasonably favourably with the 62ish MH/s at around 130w I was seeing on the 3070 undervolted.

Obviously if you are talking efficiency in terms of purchase cost then yeah absolutely awful by comparison but I figure most people mining with a 3090 would be in the “mining as a side benefit” camp rather than specifically buying it for mining.

But alas, even though it’s reasonably efficient once well set up, I don’t want to lol. Shes too pretty to fry.

Soldato
I worked out why my PC can manage a steady 40-50 FPS in Watch Dogs: Legions. I'm 99% sure the bottleneck is the DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. This chart shows the difference between the 4770K (DDR3 only), vs faster DDR4 systems like the similar 7700K (DDR4):
bc5S9G4.jpeg

From here:
https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/watch-dogs-legion-test-gpu-cpu

As you can see, the DDR4 RAM and 7700k gain around 21 (minimum) FPS vs the 4700K, although it's hard to be precise about this as I don't know how much difference the clockspeed would make.

To summarise:
In some large, open world games, higher end graphics cards need to be used in a DDR4 system, probably at 3000mhz or higher to achieve a minimum of 50-60 FPS, regardless of game resolution.

Last edited:

A2B

A2B

Associate
It’s not particularly inefficient once properly set up... if I didn’t care about frying my memory I could get 125MH/s at around 280w which compares reasonably favourably with the 62ish MH/s at around 130w I was seeing on the 3070 undervolted.

Ah OK, so
3070: 2.097 W/Mh
3090: 2.240 W/Mh

Yeah not that bad. And the 90 would get twice as much done, may be a reasonable trade. If it didn't fry :).

Associate
Slightly newer vbios over on techpowerup for 3090 FE, even though the compile date was last September. Only apparent change is some sort of update to the RGB connector.
Yes, one of the two LED's apparently has RGB capability. Probably brings it in line with the most recent 3080 FE vbios. Some users may already have this installed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/228647/nvidia-rtx3090-24576-200915

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I really like the design of the RTX 3070 FE, the length of the graphics card means it actually fits in a 'normal' / older case. I had to cut away at my old case's hard drive cage to fit in a R9 390, previously. The cooler itself seems to work well, and the overall design looks sturdy and quite stylish.

One weird thing I noticed is the PC beeps for a longer period of time when it boots, no idea why. Maybe the BIOS or power supply is 'complaining'? Seems totally fine apart from that.

Only downside to the 3070 FE seems to be the BIOS power limit.

Disable or enable CSM mode in your BIOS, dependent on whether it’s currently enabled or not.

My 3090FE did the same when I swapped out the 2080Ti.

Associate
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, disabling the CSM option stops Windows 10 from booting (BIOS error message). It's no big deal really, I'll leave it enabled.
Also try disabling fast boot if it's enabled.
I disabled CSM because when I booted after installing the new 3090 I got 4 beeps and it's all good now.

Soldato
Also try disabling fast boot if it's enabled.
I disabled CSM because when I booted after installing the new 3090 I got 4 beeps and it's all good now.
This didn't work either. I'll just disconnect the BIOS speaker I think, and reconnect if needed.

Or, I could convert the OS disk to GPT (currently MBR), then disable the CSM. But I don't think it's worth it. Gonna build a new PC probably, after DDR5 is released.

Last edited:
Soldato
I could potentially upgrade my motherboard and RAM for around £100 and keep the same CPU. And maybe sell the old motherboard and DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, which limits me to 40-50 FPS in some games (mostly Ubisoft tbh).

A forum user posted these Watch Dogs: Legion results, showing the difference between DDR4 RAM frequencies:
"Here are some RAM benchmarks on an Intel i9 9900K with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080Ti (using the same timings). 1280x720 with Ultra Settings (but without Ray Tracing. Ray Tracing brings an additional RAM hit in this game). You can clearly see the scalability of RAM here.

DDR4-2666Mhz - Minimum Framerate: 68fps, Average Framerate: 90fps
DDR4-3000Mhz - Minimum Framerate 74fps, Average Framerate: 97fps
DDR4-3600Mhz - Minimum Framerate: 78fps, Average Framerate: 105fps
DDR4-3800Mhz - Minimum Framerate: 81fps, Average Framerate 109fps"

Basically, I could upgrade to used DDR3 2666mhz RAM, and potentially overclock it to ~3000Mhz. Looking at some videos on Youtube, it looks like the performance difference between DDR3 and DDR4, if running at the same RAM frequency, is negligible.

not-sure-if-worth-it-or-not-worth-it.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not worth it IMO - having DDR3-2400MHz with quad channel on my X79 setup helps with a similar era CPU - but you aren't really making good use of money trying to keep that 4770K alive - games are slowly trickling to the point where 6 cores / 12 threads is an advantage to have.

You'll also be at the mercy of the IMC on the CPU - not many on the 4770K manage speeds above ~2500-2600MHz IIRC.

Soldato
Not worth it IMO - having DDR3-2400MHz with quad channel on my X79 setup helps with a similar era CPU - but you aren't really making good use of money trying to keep that 4770K alive - games are slowly trickling to the point where 6 cores / 12 threads is an advantage to have.

You'll also be at the mercy of the IMC on the CPU - not many on the 4770K manage speeds above ~2500-2600MHz IIRC.
Yeah, I agree, probably the sensible thing is to wait for DDR5 + new CPU, especially if its only a problem for a couple of games (not really a fan of the Assassin's Creed series anyway).

The hard limit for the RAM frequency seems to be between 2800-2900mhz on the 4770K (maybe he just lucked out), according to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0fNDqrN0I&ab_channel=Luumi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom