Is it worth fitting an aftermarket tracker or immobiliser?

Soldato
Ghost is great if you have keyless entry, otherwise I can't see the point (and tbh, I kinda think it's possibly worse to have it) - it only becomes "useful" by the time they've already got into the driver's seat... So if it's keyless there's a chance they've repeated the key and not broken in - so ghost is great to stop them driving off. But, without keyless, they've already broken into the house and grabbed the keys (along with whatever else they want). If they REALLY want the car, they'll wake you up and "ask you nicely" for the ghost code once they've realised it's on the car... Seem to remember reports around Cheshire way a couple years ago, of thieves waking people up holding a kettle of boiling water to politely ask for car codes...

Previous car was a M135i (so similar hot hatch) and 4pm on a fri arvo (so broad flipping daytime) someone smashed the rear patio door, raided the house and drove off in my car (along with a load of bits and bobs from the house) - they also weren't bothered with my CCTV and carried on, just tried to raise an arm to try and block his face. Luckily I was out of the house, at the time, but it was bin-day and the bin was still out on the road with my car on the drive - so the police thought they took the opportunity to ring the doorbell and decide nobody was in, and give it a go... Car was found a few weeks later on cloned plates in a cul-de-sac about 10 miles away with a stolen Golf R and both cars had been linked with a load of burglaries in the next county - so it was stolen purely as a quick get-away car and left in a random cul-de-sac until they wanted to go for a nighttime raid in the next county... When the police recovered it, they said there was zero damage to the car's interior (so they hadn't stripped panels to look for trackers) - but they had apparently broken the front bumper, so had a nudge on something...

These days it's all about making the neighbours car more interesting that yours, and easier to take than yours... Avoid owning a A45, Golf R, (R)S3, M135i/M140i, etc... But, if you do, then realistically do what you can to make it less desirable and less easy to grab - (remove all markings to make it look like the fast version and try to make it blend in with a standard spec car), hide it in a garage or behind other cars on the drive, decent disklok is a must, then bollard on your drive, etc. Then think about your home and how easy it is to break in - make sure your locks are decent, have spiked anti-climb strips on the top of fences/gates, possibly security lights, etc. Finally, make sure your insurance is decent & valid (mod's declared) and you've got GAP cover too (and if you've got GAP then I think most refuse any mods).

At the end of the day, if they want your car they will get it... (hell, a neighbour of a workmate had their car lifted off their drive by a flatbed lorry with a crane) So, if they've gone to the effort of breaking in, then tbh I'd prefer them to just jog on and drive off in the car and I'll claim against insurance, instead of running the risk of them waking me up and demanding any codes...

Unless it's a Fiesta ST (known security issues with OBD2 port) then I'd honestly feel less likely the car will be stolen away from the house than outside it... (could always get keyed tho, for being a nice car in a bad area...)

If you "really" want a Ghost then why not just fit a killswitch? as it's far easier to deal with on a day-to-day routine and far cheaper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhXLsrZiE0
Hmm is the current st really that bad, we're looking at them for my Mrs.

Man of Honour
so it was stolen purely as a quick get-away car and left in a random cul-de-sac until they wanted to go for a nighttime raid in the next county

A lot of them (proper performance hatches, etc.) seem to be stolen to use in further crime lately which is partly why they tend to keep a lower profile and avoid confrontation more often these days as it is small fry compared to what else they have going on. (But that doesn't mean you won't have a run in with types who'll happily violence you to get the keys/code).

Associate
Hmm is the current st really that bad, we're looking at them for my Mrs.
apparently so - ford have kept the OBD2 port within reach of the driver's window which can be smashed and OBD2 accessed. I've also read of some smashing the small 1/4 window infront of the main driver's window, to get to the OBD2 without the alarm even going off. They then plug in a device and 5-10seconds later they have a cloned key to disable the alarm (if it's been triggered) and can drive away...

So recommended to again have a disklok and either remove the fuse for the OBD2 port, or relocate it somewhere else. Obviously you still end up with a smashed window, or damaged door/lock to get into the car and find out the obd2 isn't working...

vid of a theft to show how quick it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtvHRU_X6M

bit of a vid about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmSOEKfkug

Fiesta is apparently the most stolen car in UK atm: https://www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk/n21165#11

Soldato
Visual deterrents are always going to be more effective than something like Ghost.

They won't know you have Ghost until they take a pop at the car, but if they look at your car for taking and see that it has a Disklok (and maybe more hidden security) then they're more likely to move on to the easier target IMO.

Soldato
Well I guess you can take the defeatist attitude, in which just leave the keys in the ignition !!!

Disclock can be over come as I understand it, but is a useful first step visual deterrent and slows the thieves progress. Or they will break in and ask for the key anyway. Which is a very rare occurrence that it turns violent, most are keyless attacks or OBD based. You don't need to access the port, other points on the car can be used.
So Ghost is the best option in my view as a layered solution. As I said, House, visual then Ghost which is the best option in my view.

Or let the scum bags win and just drive an old banger.

Soldato
apparently so - ford have kept the OBD2 port within reach of the driver's window which can be smashed and OBD2 accessed. I've also read of some smashing the small 1/4 window infront of the main driver's window, to get to the OBD2 without the alarm even going off. They then plug in a device and 5-10seconds later they have a cloned key to disable the alarm (if it's been triggered) and can drive away...

So recommended to again have a disklok and either remove the fuse for the OBD2 port, or relocate it somewhere else. Obviously you still end up with a smashed window, or damaged door/lock to get into the car and find out the obd2 isn't working...

vid of a theft to show how quick it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtvHRU_X6M

bit of a vid about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvmSOEKfkug

Fiesta is apparently the most stolen car in UK atm: https://www.whatcar.com/news/revealed-the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk/n21165#11
I'd read about it when they came out, I just assumed it would have been addressed by now.

Associate
I'd read about it when they came out, I just assumed it would have been addressed by now.
it was a known/bad issue with the mk7 and there was a lot of eye-rolling disappointment to find it not fixed with mk8. I think Ford claimed that some regulations specify the OBD2 port needs to be within certain access of the driver, but other manufacturers seem to find locations that obviously comply without being such a security issue. Tbh, I imagine it's more the location of some jigs/tools used during manufacturing that have justified keeping it within a similar spot.

At least the Fiesta security is better here than in South Africa - thieves there found an exploit where if the door lock is forced to turn (with a screwdriver etc.) it somehow triggered the entire car to unlock :o oops...

vid of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Ayo8E0YKY

Soldato
proxy-image

An unappealing wrap...

Soldato
I've had two cars stolen - both fitted with top of the range trackers. Neither made a bit of difference tbh. I don't bother any more, I just make I'm covered with decent GAP insurance and try not to sorry about it. Easier said then done of course.

Soldato
Yeah if they want the car they'll take the car. For me, if you want a deterent, disclok really just put them off. It's like having an alarm on a house, no one cares BUT if a burglar comes along and have a choice of one house with an alarm or one house without, I'd expect he'd go to the one without.

Back
Top Bottom