Samsung SSD and AMD incompatible ?

Associate
Hi All

I have a Samsung 860 QVO 2Tb SATA SSD for storage on my ASUS C8H. It keeps just disappearing from the machine and only a hard boot will recover it again.

I've done all the usual,
Updated BIOS
Replaced SATA cable
Updated SSD firmware
Run Magician diagnostics

No luck

So I emailed Samsung, and they sent me this

"Please be informed that some Samsung SSDs such as the SSD 860 EVO can experience compatibility issues with if connected to motherboards older than 2017 or working with AMD.
This incompatibility can cause certain functions on the SSD to remain inactive such as Rapid mode, secure erase etc and can cause freezing issues on the computer or prevent the SSD from functioning optimally or from functioning at all.

This issue is due to these motherboards manufacturer’s refusal to meet the SATA requirements when manufacturing its motherboards.

This issue is not evident in previous SSD models because Samsung opted not to generate an error code that could show up when its SATA drives are connected to such motherboards.

This decision was made with the hope that these manufacturers will respect the requirements and act accordingly. That, unfortunately, has not been the case so far.

From the SSD 860 series onward, Samsung decided to generate an error code.

There, unfortunately, is no information from motherboard manufacturers yet regarding plans to have this rectified and we do not know for sure how soon this will be done."

Has anyone heard of such a thing ? Any suggestions ?

Associate
Associate
OP
Thanks that looks like exactly the problem. Looks like I’m in the market for a new SSD.

amazing that this is not more well known.

Associate
Thanks that looks like exactly the problem. Looks like I’m in the market for a new SSD.

amazing that this is not more well known.

I'm on my 2nd Seagate 520 firecuda 1TB drive. and its not allowing winsows install, when i external usb c encolsure when trying to access it it freezes the pc. Im on a x570 tomahawk motherboard so i wonder if this is the same issue

Associate
Possibly. I’ve ordered a WD
I’ll let you know how I get on

Well i was going to get a Samsung 980 Pro Gen4. But after looking at reviews the Gen4 WD Sn850 Ticked all the boxes, same performance and cheaper. So ive added to my order. Cant wait to get my new 850w platinum seasonic spu, 5800x and the m.2. Got a filler msi 1650gpu coming too. so will know if its my mobo causing the m.2 issues very soon or the board.

Associate
Yes. I’ve ordered the same. Will be moving to an entirely pcie build with no sata

Touch Wood ! WD SN850 1TB Arrived earlier - Windows installed 1st time and no issues to report at the minute. Looks like the Firecuda 520s i got from the online retailer has been 2 bad drive in a batch, so raising an RMA for it as we speak.

This is installed with my 3300x, will be installing the new PSU and 5800x at the weekend all being well.

Associate
OP
I've put the old Samsung in an USB-C enclosure. Still seems a bit iffy, but the WD on the 2nd m2 slot works like a charm

Back
Top Bottom