• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
OP
Yeah it’s in the Settings section. I changed mine to ALT + O. Is there a way to change what’s shown on it?

Also, does anyone experience any stuttering when they have Instant Replay enabled. Frame rates tank when I have it enabled. And I’m running 2 x NVMe drives.
Yes, click it and refine it to a key combo of your choice.

Associate
Has anyone been having issues with the screen turning black for several seconds intermittently using Displayport with the last few sets of drivers? Currently dealing with AOC support to try and work out if it's the monitor or not as it's a new display (AG273QS3R4). Works perfectly fine with HDMI and the displayport is fine until I get into a 3D game then after a few minutes it starts repeatedly disconnecting for a few seconds. Paired with an XFX RX480 Black Edition and using a certified DP 1.4 cable, waiting to upgrade the card when it's possible to get another one as a reasonably priced card seems like gold-dust right now.

Associate
Has anyone been having issues with the screen turning black for several seconds intermittently using Displayport with the last few sets of drivers? Currently dealing with AOC support to try and work out if it's the monitor or not as it's a new display (AG273QS3R4). Works perfectly fine with HDMI and the displayport is fine until I get into a 3D game then after a few minutes it starts repeatedly disconnecting for a few seconds. Paired with an XFX RX480 Black Edition and using a certified DP 1.4 cable, waiting to upgrade the card when it's possible to get another one as a reasonably priced card seems like gold-dust right now.

Try disabling Enhanced Sync in Radeon Software settings, that could be the culprit.

Soldato
I managed to set up ROCm+amdgpu on Ubuntu and all I had to do was manually delete some kernel source files after the rocm-dkms installer started trying to build with a kernel version it was incompatible with which got triggered every time I tried to remove that kernel version with apt causing that to not complete as well, in a sort of installer death spiral.

edit: I should probably add that the regular driver installation was extremely smooth and worked basically out of the box. This only happened because I wanted to mess around with AMD's barely-supported GPGPU functionality.

Soldato
What are AMD drivers like these days? i currently have a 3090 and the nvidia drivers have been **** poor for a while, im considering trying a 6900xt which is what i wanted originally but stock was terrible.

Black ops cold war crashes nearly every round.
X4 foundations has a known 30 series issue that crashes from time to time and is being worked on apparently.
Apex crashed and again is a 30 series known issue apparently
there is another game as well that crashed recently but cant remember which

BF V, World of war craft, Fenyx rising and Snow runner dont crash.

Im having to keep using older drivers as the newer ones cause stutter or crashes amongst other things.

Edit - I have ordered the Saphire Nitro 6900xt and i will see how it goes, may end up selling the 3090 if its better for what i use it for currently.

Last edited:
Associate
I had same problem intermittent black screens in bf/4 game /re/seated the two 8 pin gpu pin's works ok now

Soldato
Chaps, I had to upgrade my AMD drivers to the beta stream (on R9 390), so that I can use hardware decode on Steam's Remote Play ( LAN game streaming tech). For some reason, the WHQL drivers didn't work and resulted in a Black screen when streaming a game. Thought that might be useful to know.

Associate
Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1 Highlights

Support For

Medium™

• Up to 9% increase in performance in The Medium @ 4K High settings, with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1 on the 16GB Radeon™ RX 6800XT graphics card, versus the previous software driver edition 21.1.1. RS-351
Fixed Issues
  • Display flicker or corruption may be experienced when two displays are connected to Radeon RX Vega series graphics products with at least one display set to a high refresh rate.
  • Screen flickering might be observed when using MSI Afterburner.
  • Radeon™ recording and streaming features may fail to enable on AMD Radeon™ HD 7800 series graphics products.
  • Some models may fail to render or may render incorrectly when using SketchUp™ on Radeon RDNA graphics products.
  • Some Samsung™ CRG9 series displays may experience a black screen when waking from sleep.
  • Metro Exodus™ may experience intermittent application crashes with DirectX® Raytracing enabled.
  • Video playback on secondary displays may experience stutter while playing Doom Eternal™ on the primary display.
Known Issues
  • Hitman 3™ may experience an application crash in the Apex Predator mission on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.
  • Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable in Forza Horizon 4™.
  • AMD is currently investigating end user reports that Radeon Software may sometimes have higher than expected CPU utilization, even when a system is at idle. Users who are experiencing this issue are encouraged to file a bug report in Radeon Software.
  • Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games or applications when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.

Disclaimer

• RS-351. Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of Jan 28, 2021 on the 16GB Radeon™ RX 6800XT, using a test system comprising of AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU (3.7 GHz), 16GB DDR4-3200MHz memory, and Windows 10x64 with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1 versus the previous driver edition 21.1.1 on The Medium @ 4k High settings. Performance may vary.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.1 Driver Version 20.45.33.01 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.14533.1000)
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-2-1

Associate
Soldato

I battled for awhile with my Vega64 and this Samsung display with DP. I'd get the same issue you describe. In the end, I thought what is DP giving me over HDMI - nothing, apart from saying 10bit bpc for the colour depth. So went back to HDMI. Never had any problems. :) And I tried all the fancy cables, disabling xyz settings, new versions of windows, even got new hardware now (mobo). Still issue remains. So it is either the monitor or the GPU (or both it doesn't like).

Soldato
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-2-2

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 Highlights
Fixed Issues

• Objects may fail to render correctly when using EEVEE render in Blender™ on Radeon RX 400 and Radeon RX 500 series graphics products.
  • Quake III Arena™ may experience corruption during loading or gameplay.
  • Performance may be lower than expected in Wolfenstein: Youngblood™ when a system is AMD Smart Access Memory enabled.
Known Issues
  • A system hang or crash may be experienced when upgrading Radeon Software while an Oculus™ VR headset is connected to your system on Radeon GCN graphics products. A temporary workaround is to disconnect the headset before install.
  • Some resolutions may be unavailable or unlisted in the resolution settings drop down menu for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive™ when using 4:3 aspect ratio.
  • Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable in Forza Horizon 4™.
  • AMD is currently investigating end user reports that Radeon Software may sometimes have higher than expected CPU utilization, even when a system is at idle. Users who are experiencing this issue are encouraged to file a bug report in Radeon Software.
  • Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games or applications when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 Driver Version 20.45.35.01 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.14535.1000)

Soldato
So as a new 6900xt owner i have the previous driver installed, what the process with AMD drivers?
over the top install or remove them first?

ok i read uninstall first and there is a cleanup tool if weird issues are observed.

Associate
Having an issue with call of duty modern warfare yesterday.

In game utilisation would 99% but core clock of my 6800 would be around 580mhz. Sometimes it would jump to 2300mhz but then it would go back down but utilisation still be 99%.

Before I go investigating more, has this been reported as an issue before or anything?

It may well be call of duty but it never did it before and just started randomly.

Back
Top Bottom