• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Man of Honour
Having an issue with call of duty modern warfare yesterday.

In game utilisation would 99% but core clock of my 6800 would be around 580mhz. Sometimes it would jump to 2300mhz but then it would go back down but utilisation still be 99%.

Before I go investigating more, has this been reported as an issue before or anything?

It may well be call of duty but it never did it before and just started randomly.
Did the frame rates tank or was it playing normally?

Permabanned
So as a new 6900xt owner i have the previous driver installed, what the process with AMD drivers?
over the top install or remove them first?

ok i read uninstall first and there is a cleanup tool if weird issues are observed.

I uninstall the old version, restart the system, clean with something like disk cleanup or other utilities (advanced systemcare, wise registry cleaner, ccleaner, etc...) , and then install the new once everything old is cleared and the system is restarted.

Soldato

In game utilisation would 99% but core clock of my 6800 would be around 580mhz. Sometimes it would jump to 2300mhz but then it would go back down but utilisation still be 99%.

Before I go investigating more, has this been reported as an issue before or anything?

It may well be call of duty but it never did it before and just started randomly.

Have you checked resolution. Warzone has a tendency to set my scaling to 50 percent so instead of 4k has me running much lower. Also tends to put me in borderless full screen as well. Not sure if it would trigger what you are describing but worth a look.

Caporegime
OP
Have you checked resolution. Warzone has a tendency to set my scaling to 50 percent so instead of 4k has me running much lower. Also tends to put me in borderless full screen as well. Not sure if it would trigger what you are describing but worth a look.
Yes that happens if after you launch the game you press the mouse or keyboard.

Associate
Did the frame rates tank or was it playing normally?

They took a dive to about 50-60fps , usually its 200+.

I did spot this and thought that was the issue, when I changed scaling back to 100% , it would still happen. I seen a video from JayzTwoCents where this was happening in another game, but it was on the launch drivers I think. I am on the latest.

Soldato

I have this with BFV and I have had to set a minimum frequency in the performance tab, or I just get 99 fps where as I would normally get 200 plus.
I have mine set to 2200 minimum and 2500 max currently.

Associate
So as a new 6900xt owner i have the previous driver installed, what the process with AMD drivers?
over the top install or remove them first?

ok i read uninstall first and there is a cleanup tool if weird issues are observed.
it kinda depends, most of the time you can install over the top especially for minor updates, major ones though it may be worth using the factory reset option in the driver. no need to ddu unless you have issues.

Soldato
I would normally instal over the top on 21.2.x to 21.2.y or 21.1.x to 21.2.x releases, but bigger ones (like the anticipated one next month) I would do a factory reset. I also tend to throw in a factory reset every 6 months or so.

Associate
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 Beta with Vulkan® Synchronization 2 Extension Support Release Notes

Fixed Issues

• Objects may fail to render correctly when using EEVEE render in Blender™ on Radeon RX 400 and Radeon RX 500 series graphics products.
  • Quake III Arena™ may experience corruption during loading or gameplay.
  • Performance may be lower than expected in Wolfenstein: Youngblood™ when a system is AMD Smart Access Memory enabled.
Known Issues
  • A system hang or crash may be experienced when upgrading Radeon Software while an Oculus™ VR headset is connected to your system on Radeon GCN graphics products. A temporary workaround is to disconnect the headset before install.
  • Some resolutions may be unavailable or unlisted in the resolution settings drop down menu for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive™ when using 4:3 aspect ratio.
  • Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable in Forza Horizon 4™.
  • AMD is currently investigating end user reports that Radeon Software may sometimes have higher than expected CPU utilization, even when a system is at idle. Users who are experiencing this issue are encouraged to file a bug report in Radeon Software.
  • Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games or applications when Radeon™ FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
Added Vulkan® Support
  • VK_KHR_synchronization2
    • This extension modifies the original core synchronization APIs to simplify the interface and improve usability of these APIs. It also adds new pipeline stage and access flag types that extend into the 64-bit range. Pipeline stages and access flags are now specified together in memory barrier structures, making the connection between the two more obvious. Additionally, Layout transitions have been simplified by providing generic layouts, which are contextually applied based on the image format. Events are made more efficient as well as they include memory dependency information when they are set on the device. Furthermore, Queue submission has also been changed to wrap command buffers and semaphores in extensible structures, which incorporate changes from Vulkan 1.1, VK_KHR_device_group and VK_KHR_timeline_semaphore. This adds a pipeline stage to the semaphore signal operation, mirroring the existing pipeline stage specification for wait operations.
Fixed Issues
  • Enabling Record Desktop and Instant Replay may cause hitching or stutter during fullscreen video playback on some system configurations.
  • Custom fan settings may not retain after waking from sleep on Radeon RX 500 series graphics products.
  • Graphical glitching may occur on Radeon RX 500 series graphics products when at idle or at desktop with multiple high refresh rate Radeon FreeSync displays connected.
  • Disabling performance metrics overlay while in game can sometimes cause frame freeze or stuttering.
  • Lower than expected performance may be experienced on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products in Xuan-Yuan Sword VII™.
  • Mouse corruption may be experienced when changing graphics options to Vulkan® API in Serious Sam 4™.
  • Corruption may be visible on some surfaces in Far Cry™ Primal on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
Known Issues
  • Brightness flickering may intermittently occur in some games when Radeon FreeSync is enabled, and the game is set to use borderless fullscreen.
  • Metro Exodus™, Shadow of the Tomb Raider™, Battlefield™ V, Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty®: Black Ops Cold War may experience intermittent application crashes with DirectX® Raytracing enabled.
  • Anisotropic Filtering in Radeon Software graphics settings is not taking effect in DirexctX®9 applications on RDNA graphics products.
  • Crysis™ Remastered may experience corruption on character models on Radeon RX 6800 Series graphics products.
  • World of Warcraft: Shadowlands may fail to launch when DirectX®12 API is selected on Windows®7 system configurations.
  • Some games may experience stuttering when set to borderless fullscreen and an extended display is connected running the Netflix™ windows store application on RDNA graphics products.
  • Radeon recording and streaming features may fail to enable on AMD Radeon HD 7800 series graphics products.
  • Screen space reflections may appear with flickering corruption in Battlefield™ V on RDNA graphics products.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and the Performance Tuning tab incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
Important Notes
  • AMD Ryzen™ Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Vega Graphics FAQ for Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition can be found here.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 Driver Version 20.45.01.19 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.14501.19002)
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-21-2-2-vrt-beta

Associate
Does anyone else have the (seemingly common) issue with the memory not downclocking on a high refresh display? My new Odyssey G7 has to be dropped to 120Hz for the memory to drop clocks, and when I have my second monitor plugged in (a 144Hz screen) both have to be lowered to 60Hz for idle clocks to work!

Doing some searching it seems the response from AMD in the past (with reference to the 5700 XT, I have a 6800 XT) was that this is normal behaviour and won't affect the card but I don't believe that. My 1080 Ti had this issue with one driver release at 165Hz on my older monitor and it was solved in the next. Similarly it seems a number of folk are able to run near-full speed with custom refresh rates and have normal downclocking.

The multiple display aspect I'm fine with, I don't mind disabling/disconnecting the second monitor when not in use if that can't be overcome, but I'd prefer to have the G7 running at full refresh without the memory remaining at high speed. Any suggestions?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, looked back a few pages but this thread is huge!

Caporegime
OP
Does anyone else have the (seemingly common) issue with the memory not downclocking on a high refresh display? My new Odyssey G7 has to be dropped to 120Hz for the memory to drop clocks, and when I have my second monitor plugged in (a 144Hz screen) both have to be lowered to 60Hz for idle clocks to work!

Doing some searching it seems the response from AMD in the past (with reference to the 5700 XT, I have a 6800 XT) was that this is normal behaviour and won't affect the card but I don't believe that. My 1080 Ti had this issue with one driver release at 165Hz on my older monitor and it was solved in the next. Similarly it seems a number of folk are able to run near-full speed with custom refresh rates and have normal downclocking.

The multiple display aspect I'm fine with, I don't mind disabling/disconnecting the second monitor when not in use if that can't be overcome, but I'd prefer to have the G7 running at full refresh without the memory remaining at high speed. Any suggestions?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, looked back a few pages but this thread is huge!
You absolutely should believe that, because it's true.

It's to do with the vertical blank timing of the display. At maximum refresh rate the timing requires a higher memory clock, however reducing the refresh rate to 120HZ adjusts the vertical blank timing of the display and this allows the memory to downclock.

I see the same behaviour on my LG C9 OLED. I don't worry about it as it does not impact the longevity of the GPU in anyway and idle fan control works just fine despite the idle temps being slightly higher.

You have a couple of choices if it really bothers you that much:

1. Lower the desktop refresh rate to 120HZ. You can still use maximum refresh rate in games just fine.
2. You can reduce the maximum refresh rate slightly using CRU. Once you reduce it enough (I am not sure how much, might be a few HZ) this will adjust the vertical blank timing and may therefore allow a lower memory clock at idle.

If i was you, I'd go with option 1 or just forget about it and enjoy your graphics card.

Associate
It's to do with the vertical blank timing of the display. At maximum refresh rate the timing requires a higher memory clock, however reducing the refresh rate to 120HZ adjusts the vertical blank timing of the display and this allows the memory to downclock.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense I guess but surely the memory shouldn't have to run at full speed to accommodate that, perhaps something in the middle? Not that I have a clue about the technical side.

Either way if it doesn't affect the longevity of the card then I'll leave it (and when I decide to apply a longer term OC I'll use the game profile options).

I have to say I'm really liking the control panel having recently moved from Nvidia after 10 years on the green team, so many options and performance based features. While I don't necessarily need Afterburner anymore I keep it installed as I prefer it's OSD.

Soldato
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense I guess but surely the memory shouldn't have to run at full speed to accommodate that, perhaps something in the middle? Not that I have a clue about the technical side.

Either way if it doesn't affect the longevity of the card then I'll leave it (and when I decide to apply a longer term OC I'll use the game profile options).

I have to say I'm really liking the control panel having recently moved from Nvidia after 10 years on the green team, so many options and performance based features. While I don't necessarily need Afterburner anymore I keep it installed as I prefer it's OSD.

I have tested the AMD OSD but find it really buggy with 2 monitors, especially when using fullscreen windowed. Went back to MSI AB.
If you alt tab out of the game, does your OSD move to a different monitor or position?

Soldato
I have tested the AMD OSD but find it really buggy with 2 monitors, especially when using fullscreen windowed. Went back to MSI AB.
If you alt tab out of the game, does your OSD move to a different monitor or position?
Yeah, mine moves to the monitor that has focus. So if I Alt+Tab out of a game and go to the other monitor, the overlay moves too.

You absolutely should believe that, because it's true.

I see the same behaviour on my LG C9 OLED. I don't worry about it as it does not impact the longevity of the GPU in anyway and idle fan control works just fine despite the idle temps being slightly higher.

You have a couple of choices if it really bothers you that much:

1. Lower the desktop refresh rate to 120HZ. You can still use maximum refresh rate in games just fine.
2. You can reduce the maximum refresh rate slightly using CRU. Once you reduce it enough (I am not sure how much, might be a few HZ) this will adjust the vertical blank timing and may therefore allow a lower memory clock at idle.

If i was you, I'd go with option 1 or just forget about it and enjoy your graphics card.

Is it possible to achieve item 1 automatically? E.g. when you're at the desktop, the monitor refresh rate switches to 60Hz, when you fire up a game, it jumps up to 144Hz (or whatever your refresh rate is).

Caporegime
OP

I understand, soon you’ll forget about it though and that’s the best way to be.

Good idea with the profiles too.

Glad you like the new control panel.

Back
Top Bottom