emphasising with hands

Soldato
@ttaskmaster I cannot provide a link but it was mentioned on my assessment when I was asked where I parked my car. I was very delayed/hesitant in pointing out where I had where as 'normal' people would in most cases gesture right away.

I'll try find something.

Soldato
I thought this was pretty normal for most, it's like an involuntary reaction. Unless you're one of those serious hand-wavers.

Soldato
Most of our evolutionary thinking was probably done when moving... towards food, away from predators, towards a mate, away from a mate's mate. So maybe it's a chicken and egg thing? I know I always think more clearly when out walking, and when I'm engaged in a decent, thoughtful conversation, I do find myself gesticulating.

In a rehearsed speech that kind of thing sometimes feels choreographed (think Tony Blair, not Dennis Skinner). But a bit of physical punctuation must be part of the whole body language thing we consider to be important, generally.

I also say I don't really know -- as now -- what I think about something until I've written it down. Maybe that writing/typing thing is just an extension of the gesticulation habit?

Man of Honour
Kind f normal to support articulation of what they are saying better for many speakers around the world. The same way saying umm and uhh a lot is normal as a sign of contemplating and calculating a response to questions posed (watch Jen Psaki press conf videos for example). The exception is when they are downright ignorant of facts and are categorically and knowingly lying about what they are saying - Case in point is any speech done by trump.

Man of Honour
Anyone else think that anyone who does this looks like an absolute spanner?

When did this come about?

Did someone invent this like 50 years ago? I bet they were trolling and probably watching world leaders on TV interview and ******* themselves.

I don't get it in the slightest.

Do you do it? And do you think it makes you look cool?

Are you referring to 'Talking with your hands'? -

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...C0pYzyzGIB22ldWqH-COUmnfzPUUUb1sgaJGGCO82j6_9

Soldato
I've spent 7 years now as an engineering instructor to both native and non-native English speakers and and learnt that using your hands to emphasise and/or describe actions really does help students remember information as it adds an additional visual element alongside the vocal, kinaesthetic & reading/writing learning styles most people use when learning new info. So because of that I now use far more gesticulations than I did in my prior 35+ years as an adult but it also makes it difficult to "switch off" the hand movements too.

This means I now look like an Italian on speed when I'm having a normal conversation as my hands are flying about or, and this is far worse, that I'm being extremely condescending when I'm describing something very simple - tightening a screw for example - to someone fully capable when during the word "tighten" I start performing the action as well, like they somehow don't know how to tighten something, which makes me feel like a plonker! :D

Soldato
Anyone else think that anyone who does this looks like an absolute spanner?

When did this come about?

Did someone invent this like 50 years ago? I bet they were trolling and probably watching world leaders on TV interview and ******* themselves.

I don't get it in the slightest.

Do you do it? And do you think it makes you look cool?

I often do it when I'm interested in what I'm talking about.

Also do it when I'm in a potential conflict situation, so hands are up and ready. Don't do that so much, now I'm old...

Man of Honour
I've just had a funny one.
I was outside when a patient asked me where the Hospital Main Entrance is so I tried to explain without hands by basically nodding in the direction and using buildings, in the end I just lifted up my hand and said "Go down there (pointing), turn right (pointing), drive about 200 yards going upwards (pointing)and if you look on the right which is around there (pointing) you can't miss it".
then she understood.

Soldato
@ttaskmaster I cannot provide a link but it was mentioned on my assessment when I was asked where I parked my car. I was very delayed/hesitant in pointing out where I had where as 'normal' people would in most cases gesture right away.
I'll try find something.
Asking for a friend, y'know... ;)

I've spent 7 years now as an engineering instructor to both native and non-native English speakers and and learnt that using your hands to emphasise and/or describe actions really does help students remember information as it adds an additional visual element alongside the vocal, kinaesthetic & reading/writing learning styles most people use when learning new info.
I concur.
My daughter watches something where the presenter uses Makaton sign language for all the key words. She learns these way faster than other words, and speaks them better.
I also taught my dogs using a hand signal for each command, which is often advised by many instructors. Not only were they excellent learners, they respond to the signals alone - This is great if you want to get them doing something (sit, come, outside, etc) without waking the house, and looks awesome when out and about. People think they're ex-military dogs or something!

what does that even mean? like toy sponge circles and squares etc? what a stupid phrase.
It's a thing from the early 80s. Sort of transitioning between poses rather than actually dancing fluidly. Somewhere between David Bowie and Gary Numan.

Back
Top Bottom