Recommendations for Heavy Duty Jump Leads?

Associate
Hey guys!

Hot off the excellent recommendations I got last time about a jumper kit, I'm wondering if anyone's got any suggestions for good quality heavy duty jump leads that they can share.

Same deal as last time - my brother's looking for a good set that balances price and performance. Doesn't have to be professional grade, just something that works well for occasional personal use when needed.

Thanks!

Soldato
What's the fetish for solid core jumper cables then.

That one chaparral linked uses multi strand welding cable and should be vastly more flexible and resistant to damage from being flexed than one thick wire.

Caporegime
What's the fetish for solid core jumper cables then.

That one chaparral linked uses multi strand welding cable and should be vastly more flexible and resistant to damage from being flexed than one thick wire.
Sorry, I meant to put THIN multi-strand. Those aluminium strands look very thin, I wouldn’t trust that cable to sustain 200A.

Soldato
Looking at the pics they are garbage. Aluminium cored, multi-strand, and with a thick insulation to make them look better than they are.
Sorry, posted wrong set the ones I have are these..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GOL9A6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Anyhow, they jump started my neighbours Q7 with that massive diesel engine in it, the V12 thing. Left it idling for couple of minutes, cranked over and boom it started... so they did what I wanted them to do. If people want to go and buy £200 jump leads, chuckn them in with the spare tire to use once in a blue moon, go for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking at the pics they are garbage. Aluminium cored, multi-strand, and with a thick insulation to make them look better than they are.
err... I think you'll find it says right there, on the packaging, PROFESSIONAL :rolleyes::p

Edit: but yeah, getting a hard on for mega jump leads is definitely not on my list of other weird crap I get hard over that others find odd. I guess I can understand it though.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, all! I'm in a bit of rush right now, but I'll give the links a good look over once I get home later on. Can only really skim them right now.

I was also thinking about these ones: https://www.halfords.com/tools/jump-leads/halfords-up-to-3.5l-jump-leads-438478.html as they seemed to review well.

And yeah... I can safely guarantee that the £273 one is probably both exceptional quality and never getting bought by my brother. :D

Associate
I have cables I got from a truck stop years ago for lorries and are thick and 6m long. Downside is they take up too much of the boot to be carrying for emergencies. I have used them a few times to jump start the lorries at work so know they are well up to the job.

Soldato
Along a similar vein, can anyone recommend (or recommend against) any of those portable lithium jump starter packs? I just had to borrow one from my neighbour to get my gf's car started so she could go to work, so I'm starting to think it'd be a useful thing to have.

Soldato
The good quality, but lighter wire gauge ones are fine for starting cars which just have a flat/dead battery and start readily.

If you have a an engine that won’t start due to ignition or fuel issues and will be turning it over via the starter more for longer than 15 seconds at a time, you need to invest in a set of heavy duty/heavy gauge wire cables.

Associate
OP
LOL

I'm guessing the batteries that i tend to jump start are a little bit bigger then yours :D:D:D

wD1brQE.jpg

Dm2BWG4.jpg

Ha, yeah. These ones are beastly - thick chains nearby's a nice touch, too!

He seems quite taken by the one Pugheaven posted earlier, the 600 amp version. It's popped up a few times in the thread already, so there's a good chance he'll wind up springing for that.

Back
Top Bottom