What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Barrowed a bulk bags worth of type 1 sub base to the end of the garden where I'm laying a patio. It's hard to dig out of those bags due to the big stones in there, but today was harder than usual. Then I realised the blooming stuff was frozen!

I've hired a whacker plate for the weekend, hope ice in the sub base doesn't cause compaction issues when it melts.

Soldato
You might be using precast paving slabs, but if you're going to concrete the patio even as a base, then don't pour it/any blinding etc below 5C unless you're using cold weather forms and heated blankets etc (which for home use probably won't be cost effective). It'll not react/set in the right way and you'll be able to kick it apart like dried porridge/flapjack.

Soldato
Where do I start:

Gutted the bathroom
Installed new backer board ready for tiling
Got someone else to plaster two walls and ceiling
replumbed soil stack, basin and bathtub waste
moved radiator position to opposite side of the room
fitted a new inline shower pump and outlets
relaid a new plywood floor ready for vinyl plants
installed a new bathtub with waste flow

still to do

Finish connecting the bath to waste (European to UK waste fitting on order - 38mm to 40mm).
Drill bath taps (enamel steel bath!)
mist coat
paint
tile
lay floor
install toilet, sink and extractor fan
install new spotlights.

It's definitely a more fiddly DIY project than most.

Soldato
You might be using precast paving slabs, but if you're going to concrete the patio even as a base, then don't pour it/any blinding etc below 5C unless you're using cold weather forms and heated blankets etc (which for home use probably won't be cost effective). It'll not react/set in the right way and you'll be able to kick it apart like dried porridge/flapjack.

I'll be laying Indian sandstone slabs, but not until next weekend. I've got frost retarding plasticiser for the mortar bed, but hope it warms up a bit before then.

Soldato
I'll be laying Indian sandstone slabs, but not until next weekend. I've got frost retarding plasticiser for the mortar bed, but hope it warms up a bit before then.
Good man. What brand/product plasticiser out of interest? Always keen to know what does and doesn't do what it says on the tin

Soldato
It's Bostik:

https://www.diy.com/departments/bos...AncRshgKjyE2ZHh_zONakoxPZDbmSW4BoCtZoQAvD_BwE

I used it last weekend when building a small retaining wall and it did the job and went off fine. I've also bought some Bostik SBR to mix with cement and make a slurry bond bridge to paint onto the back of the slabs before laying. Have you (or anyone else) any experience with SBR slurry bond bridges? I get the logic behind it but actually laying them sounds like a recipe to mark the face of the slabs!

Soldato
It's Bostik:

https://www.diy.com/departments/bos...AncRshgKjyE2ZHh_zONakoxPZDbmSW4BoCtZoQAvD_BwE

I used it last weekend when building a small retaining wall and it did the job and went off fine. I've also bought some Bostik SBR to mix with cement and make a slurry bond bridge to paint onto the back of the slabs before laying. Have you (or anyone else) any experience with SBR slurry bond bridges? I get the logic behind it but actually laying them sounds like a recipe to mark the face of the slabs!

thanks for the link, and no SBR is not something I'm familiar with. Sorry :(

Soldato
I would use SBR in the mix not that frostproofer. If its too cold don't lay the slabs. SBR bond Bridge is quite simple, you mix some SBR and cement to a slurry and brush the back of the slab. It creates a very strong bond. Keep a few very wet rags to wash any SBR off the top of the slabs immediately. Use full mortar bed obviously, not dot n dabs.

Soldato
Cleaned all the rubbish from under the sink to do a recce to see what is needed to replace sink tap - doesn't look too bad so ordered a mixer tap. Also ordered every fitting I can think of -new pipe cutters - fenox sealer - scoured garage for bits of 15mm copper pipe and also found two tap flexies - got loads of PTFE tape - dug out a French dictionary in case I need a few new swear words - Made sure the incoming stop tap works- sorted out buckets and trays in case - Washed all the fibre clothes - Checked 4 wheel load mover to lay on so wife can manoeuvrer me upside down under the sink -anything I have forgot.?
Not a job I am looking forward to. - I thought ceramic taps wasn't supposed to leak - Yes I tried to take tap apart and just remove ceramic valves but after 10 years nothing will undo :rolleyes:

Soldato
I would use SBR in the mix not that frostproofer. If its too cold don't lay the slabs. SBR bond Bridge is quite simple, you mix some SBR and cement to a slurry and brush the back of the slab. It creates a very strong bond. Keep a few very wet rags to wash any SBR off the top of the slabs immediately. Use full mortar bed obviously, not dot n dabs.

Weather forecast for next weekend is above 5c so hopefully it'll be well above freezing, there's no rush so I could wait if it's still below.

Cheers for the advice on cleaning, what are your thoughts on jointing? I'm undecided whether to buy some jointing compound or mix up some mortar.

Soldato
IIRC it's the first 7 hours that are crucial, ideally >5C for 24 hours but I think it's the early 7 hours where the frost/ice really does the damage, so look at nighttime temperature too, not just when you lay it.

Soldato
Weather forecast for next weekend is above 5c so hopefully it'll be well above freezing, there's no rush so I could wait if it's still below.

Cheers for the advice on cleaning, what are your thoughts on jointing? I'm undecided whether to buy some jointing compound or mix up some mortar.

I just use mortar, some of the brush in compounds require the slabs to be totally dry(not feasible in winter..) others saturated wet. So buy carefully if choosing a premix.

Soldato
Refitted the pond filter controller in -2.. the water is frozen and the filter is in bypass anyway so when it warms up I'll test it.

Other than that - chores.

Soldato
I just use mortar, some of the brush in compounds require the slabs to be totally dry(not feasible in winter..) others saturated wet. So buy carefully if choosing a premix.

What about "picture framing"? I understand that Indian sandstone is very absorbent, how about mixing in some SBR with the mortar?

Also what are your thoughts on patio sealers for sandstone? I was going just leave it to weather naturally but every manufacturer appears to offer a patio sealer.

Back
Top Bottom