Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Afraid i'm not well placed to answer that as I didn't really use the steam on the gaggia - it does seem a lot more powerful on the MaraX though.

It's worth mentioning that the MaraX does some clever things to mitigate the heat exchanger downsides. In brew temperature priority mode the steam pressure is kept low initially so the brew head isn't overheated. Once you've pulled a shot the machine pushes the steam pressure up to allow you to steam your milk. When i've been trying to learn milk frothing it seems to work as intended and provides plenty of well pressured steam.

Worth also pointing out that you can run it as a standard HX machine and get all the steam you want :)

Yep those are the features that led me to the MaraX in the first place. The biggest thing I dislike about my Silvia is the need to temperature surf after steaming milk to get the temperature back down for a shot. Hence the appeal of a dual boiler or the system in a Mara X as I wouldn't have to do a cooling flush before a shot. The less faff the better...

I've seen someone put a temperature prove on the e61 group of the MaraX and it seems good and stable.

so sagedb does have volumetric of sorts.

Yes I've seen that it does, although I think I'd be tempted to keep it stuck in manual or timed once it's dialled in. One of the things I like about the Sage DB is the shot timer as I always forget to set it when pulling a shot now.

I've seen there is a mod to use the water dispensing knob as a pressure profiler too.

steam on Bezzera hx goes on forever, and remains too powerful for me to deal with for frothing, will get the single hole at some point;
with an extension on nozzle it was great for defrosting the freezer.

Which Bezzera is it? I prefer a lever for steam personally, but I think the Bezzera is on/off rather than gradual? So I might make a bit of a mess initially if I went for the Bezzera on my list :p

Soldato
184d5c58-2de4-4492-80fb-44aa794136e4.jpg

Got these two today. I was gifted a Blind Owl subscription for my birthday so it's always a bit of surprise with what they send me.

I saw the Wogan's Coffee monthly special and seeing what flavour profiles they gave it I couldn't resist. Was only roasted yesterday so I'll come back to this one in a week or so

Man of Honour
OP
Argh, finally decided on the MaraX and they're out of stock. Someone must have got the last yesterday as they were in stock then

Might be worth reaching out to see what their resupply is looking like, what with brexit and all. I'd also be a little careful with anyone who doesn't have uk stock (a certain 'italian' supplier for example)

Soldato
Might be worth reaching out to see what their resupply is looking like, what with brexit and all. I'd also be a little careful with anyone who doesn't have uk stock (a certain 'italian' supplier for example)

Yep already reached out, looks like March. Which is fine, I've still got my Silvia and it's being handed down to my brother in law instead of him trying to pick up a Classic; so there's no rush for it to happen. I have heard a few stories of the other supplier I think you're mentioning...

Soldato
Had to pop back to Wogan's roastery yesterday to pick up some more of that Ugandan coffee. It's only their monthly special so once it's gone it's gone so decided to grab a kilo of it.

Was only roasted on the Tuesday so bought some other beans to last us a week until they're ready to be consumed.

I didn't realise how owning an espresso machine would turn me into a bit of a coffee snob. Was out on a walk so we decided to pop to our local high street coffee chain, Coffee #1, for a flat white. What used to be my go-to coffee (unless I fancied a sweet treat then it was a Hazelnut Latte) now tastes so bland and almost like dishwater.

I used to defend highstreet coffee chains and thought it really couldn't get much better. How wrong I was. And I only have the entry level Barista Express, I can't wait to see what I'll be making in a few years

Soldato
Had to pop back to Wogan's roastery yesterday to pick up some more of that Ugandan coffee. It's only their monthly special so once it's gone it's gone so decided to grab a kilo of it.

Was only roasted on the Tuesday so bought some other beans to last us a week until they're ready to be consumed.

I didn't realise how owning an espresso machine would turn me into a bit of a coffee snob. Was out on a walk so we decided to pop to our local high street coffee chain, Coffee #1, for a flat white. What used to be my go-to coffee (unless I fancied a sweet treat then it was a Hazelnut Latte) now tastes so bland and almost like dishwater.

I used to defend highstreet coffee chains and thought it really couldn't get much better. How wrong I was. And I only have the entry level Barista Express, I can't wait to see what I'll be making in a few years

I don't drink coffee out anymore, full stop, always a disappointment.

Only one place I've ever had really good coffee from a shop was the roastery/cafe near my apartment in Düsseldorf.

Cafe culture on the continent is on a whole different level to the UK though, everything is better!

Had another coffee error in my favour this week. Ordered 250g Tobacco Road, 250g American Diner from 47 Degrees, received 1kg of their 3* Colombian Supremo. Now have all 3, so well stocked for a few weeks!

Really enjoying their blends....although I fancy a trip back to some of Neighbourhood's mega fruity single origins next.

Soldato
I actually only started drinking coffee due to a visit to Paris one time. I saw all the Parisians out drinking coffee and reading newspapers in the evening and basically forced myself to drink a few Cafe Au Laits.

Took me a while but once I found the coffee I liked I was hooked.

Soldato
I actually only started drinking coffee due to a visit to Paris one time. I saw all the Parisians out drinking coffee and reading newspapers in the evening and basically forced myself to drink a few Cafe Au Laits.

Took me a while but once I found the coffee I liked I was hooked.
Just wait til you stop drinking nasty milky drinks ;)

I jest! I think high street coffee shops, independent or chain, have a place. As you've demonstrated they provide a starting point where you develop a taste for coffee. Then one day you might have an especially good one while out and about, which piques your curiosity. Then you start looking for really good coffee places, next thing you know you're making it at home. In my opinion that's when you really start to develop a palate and identify "good" coffee.

So it's natural that you start passing over the high street places :)

Soldato

I jest! I think high street coffee shops, independent or chain, have a place. As you've demonstrated they provide a starting point where you develop a taste for coffee. Then one day you might have an especially good one while out and about, which piques your curiosity. Then you start looking for really good coffee places, next thing you know you're making it at home. In my opinion that's when you really start to develop a palate and identify "good" coffee.

I'll never give up my flat whites! They make up 80% of my coffee intake these days but I do like to have an espresso on the weekend morning - Unless I'm in Italy in which case I basically live off of Espresso and Prosecco as both are so cheap :p

We had a nice chain that probably did the best Coffee's in that regard, think it was called the Department of Coffee and Social affairs and they made really nice flat whites, opposed to a small stronger latte. But the Bristol store succumbed to the high street not having any footfall so it is no longer there.

I'm just shocked that what was my staple for years has been ruined just by having a espresso machine and buying freshly roasted beans. Not a bad complaint but I fear my friends will think I'm a right tosspot when I now turn my nose up at Nero or C#1

But they all love Starbucks and I hated that before I even had a espresso machine so it shows what they know anyway! :D

Soldato
Ah yes, I really struggle when I spend my mornings sharing coffee memes then my mates show me a Starbucks cup proudly :D

I think the trick is to know what you like from those places so in town, I'll accept a filter coffee from Pret. Dunno why, it just ticks the boxes of black, caffeinated, not offensive, cheap. If someone's stopping by any other chain like Costa or Starbucks I'll just say no thanks.

Soldato
Ah yes, I really struggle when I spend my mornings sharing coffee memes then my mates show me a Starbucks cup proudly :D

I think the trick is to know what you like from those places so in town, I'll accept a filter coffee from Pret. Dunno why, it just ticks the boxes of black, caffeinated, not offensive, cheap. If someone's stopping by any other chain like Costa or Starbucks I'll just say no thanks.

Likewise, Pret filter is passable for the price but none of the chains can make a decent Americano, with some verging on undrinkable.

Associate

Confession - I actually quite like a black filter coffee from McDonalds. Not as good as home but does in a push.

Soldato
I can see people want a long drink, takeaway, on the high street, but, in the same manner a cocktail is less discriminating for underlying spirit quality,
coffee with milk is not really cricket ....... al-desko tipple's, a pint mug of tea.

Soldato
We had a nice chain that probably did the best Coffee's in that regard, think it was called the Department of Coffee and Social affairs and they made really nice flat whites, opposed to a small stronger latte. But the Bristol store succumbed to the high street not having any footfall so it is no longer there.

Dept of coffee bought a couple of independent coffee shops in Bristol a couple of years ago (I've been to both) one was the Crazy Fox (that's now closed down) the other is TradeWinds espresso at the top end of Whiteladies road. I went there before it was taken over so I've no idea if it has changed much under the new owners.

Keep buying from Wogans, their coffee is very reasonable & the kenyan peaberry if they still sell it is very omnomnom. :D

Soldato

I would say to anyone that's got an espresso machine at home....to really appreciate it, you need to pull 5 or so espressos back to back, all weighed accurately, and vary the grind and/or pull time....then taste each of them side by side.

It's incredible how it goes from thin and sour, to suddenly bursting with aroma and layers of flavour, then straight into bitter and muddy....and the only difference is the extraction being just a couple of seconds different each time.

Once you done that once, you'll immediately taste when you've not got it quite right.

If I do pull an espresso that's not quite right though, sometimes I'll just chuck some water and milk and make an Americano of it...hides many sins :D

Soldato
I've just put my GC on eBay as picked up a Lelit Elizabeth and it is paired with a Specialita grinder. Very happy with this set up now. However, I love trying different beans constantly so on the waiting list for a Niche now. I know I can get 3d printed parts for the Eureka to become single dose but they aren't designed for it in essence.

Back
Top Bottom