Engine Coolant Query

Associate
Got a 2005 Suzuki Swift.

I topped up the engine coolant to almost full mark last tuesday. Now a week later after only 2-3 drives it is about 2 thirds full. So lost a third roughly in a week.

Does this seem right? Not sure if the extremely cold weather impacts the coolant usage? I have only done about 10-15 miles in that time.

Will keep an eye on it and check again next week to see if it has gone down further.

Permabanned
Got a 2005 Suzuki Swift.

I topped up the engine coolant to almost full mark last tuesday. Now a week later after only 2-3 drives it is about 2 thirds full. So lost a third roughly in a week.

Does this seem right? Not sure if the extremely cold weather impacts the coolant usage? I have only done about 10-15 miles in that time.

Will keep an eye on it and check again next week to see if it has gone down further.

defo a leak somewhere.
expansion tank any signs of a leak ?

Associate
OP
What made you top it up? Was it low anyway?

Did you run heaters after topping up?

Ran heater fair bit yeah but only during my 3 or 4 shortish drives. But they were on for sure.

It was empty before, just a drip in there. I had forgotten to fill it up but know I definitely last fully filled it about 4-5 months ago.

Soldato
Have a Google and see if it is a common issue. Worst case is that your head gasket has gone. Best case you have a perished rad house. Middle case is a broken thermostat or water pump.

Soldato
Coolant leaks smell strong. Are you sure it's not just in the system?

A lot of cars will dump the excess if you overfill it. It will look low when the engine is hot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check your dipstick to see if coolant has been mixing with the oil.

If you can rule that out then look for the source of the leak, as @dLockers says it could be a leaking hose, thermostat housing or water pump. In my experience a plastic thermostat housing is more likely to fail sooner than a hose.

Associate
OP
ok thanks will have a hunt. I don't smell anything no.

I am using a Halfords pre mixed coolant. Not sure if this would make any diff at all?

Soldato
I'd monitor it for a bit before worrying too much. Don't forget you are topping up the expansion tank, was the tank empty when you last topped it up? If so that full to 2/3 drop could have happened the instant the thermostat opened and then didn't move again.

Soldato
Grr ok. Expensive job in a garage? Will have to get it checked out I guess.

No signs no. I checked under car where it is parked daily. No puddles or anything like that.

Have you had any repair work done on it in the last ~6 months?

I remember when my A3 needed the EGR valve replacing. A few months later i was on a long drive and i had a warning pop up on the dash about low coolant. Thankfully wasn't too far from home so took it easy getting back. I topped it up, and over the next few weeks it was slowly draining away. Did a pressure test on the coolant system and that showed up the leak was coming from one of the pipes going back to the expansion tank. Adamant this was caused by the garage (although no chance of proving it) who replaced the EGR and not clipping one of the pipes back on properly - these pipes are under pressure so they need to be locked on tightly else they'll leak.

Associate
OP
No repair work in last 6 months no.

It was empty when I last topped it up yes. Good point about it being the expansion tank. I didn't really think of that.

Also, when the coolant is low a warning light should show on the dash right?

Associate
Have a smell around the engine bay while the engine is still hot, you will be able to smell it straight away if its leaking.
Also check the coolant level in the radiator when its cold.
The swift has no coolant warning light.

Associate
could be a leaky radiator as well. Never the easiest thing to find if it is a small leak. Try a new expansion tank lid as well in case it's went bad.

Soldato
Got a 2005 Suzuki Swift.

Nah coolant is on a closed system and shouldn't move at all. When you top it up, make sure you do so when the engine is stone cold, so you have a good baseline when you check it. When the engine/coolant is warm, the level rises in the reservoir, so best to do it before the car has been started after it's been sitting overnight.

To get it diagnosed, you're probably best to get a garage to look at it. They'll get it up in the air and have a look for old watermarks running down the engine etc and work upwards until they find where it's coming from. It could be the water pump - when was the last time the cambelt was changed? Normally the cambelt and waterpump get done at the same time as a "while i was in there" job so if people keep up to date on their cambelt changes, the water pumps are usually in quite good order too (if quality parts were used). Could be a split hose, thermostat housing leak or a split in the reservoir that gets bigger when it gets hot and only leaks then.

Associate
OP
Yeah it's a chain on the swift, one of the selling points.

Got a guy coming out on thurs to take a look who comes highly recommended. Does mobile repairs. Not sure how he thinks he can check it out on my drive but we will see.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just an update on this. Went for long drive last weekend. Expected some coolant level drop in the tank but it didn't happen. I filled it up further to half way point few days ago and still no sign of it dropping (although not used car since doing that).

I now get feeling it was just filling up in the main tank and now that is full the expansion tank is maintaining same level. Will monitor though

Back
Top Bottom