Winter 2020/2021

Man of Honour
1.8c now, winter over. 12c forecast for Monday.

For how long I dunno - still plenty of cold spilling out and not a lot of certainty in the longer range - often these SSW type events seem to drive pulses of extremes which the models struggle with.

Soldato
For how long I dunno - still plenty of cold spilling out and not a lot of certainty in the longer range - often these SSW type events seem to drive pulses of extremes which the models struggle with.
I remember April 2008 - I was at the British Superbike event at Brands Hatch, Saturday was warm & sunny but on Sunday came heavy snow and the event was called off.

6 April 2008 - Brand Hatch : Kent

50934519478_06a6bca385_z.jpg
50934519423_505c4a57e1_z.jpg

Man of Honour
Snowing moderately here now (Somerset) more fluffy flakes compared to the powdery stuff before - but doubt it will come to much - forecast to start getting milder now anyhow.

Soldato
Normally I would be slightly sad about saying goodbye to the cold weather but as the only snow I saw was by climbing the highest point in cornwall I don't mind, I work in basically a drafty ex cow shed and we have to wear about 7 layers, my car takes ages to warm up plus the heating oil gets a bashing, showing a dry mild sunny period from next weekend but that's the appalling bbc forecast, hope its correct.
Anyway had an appointment in Newquay yesterday so a valid reason for storm watching and nice hike, flask of tea on polly joke beach long period groundswell from the mid Atlantic lows, the famous cribbar is breaking, top left hand corner,

Screenshot-20210214-090207-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Associate
Seems weird listening to rain battering off the windows. Not heard that for a while. Temp slowly rising, 3.5 at the moment. Apparently going to be 13c tomorrow. Will be washing the salt of the cars tomorrow. Can't see any cold weather for a while in the forcast.

Soldato
Astonishing how quickly the weather changes here. Yesterday there was still plenty of snow on the grass, and lots of slushy ice on the pavement, with a 2 degree high. It's been raining since the early hours, with the temperature slowly rising and this morning, it's all gone. The only remnant is the remains of a snowman some local kids built on the green over the road. Due to be 11 degrees by lunchtime - I've just seen the postman walk past wearing shorts :D

To be honest, hope it stays that way. I hate it when the weather fluctuates over several weeks; I want to be able to put away my hat and gloves and not see them again until October.

Man of Honour
Longer term looking like trending downwards again at the moment - seems to be the way with these SSW/polar disturbances the effect reaches us in pulses of extremes both in cold and warm.

Commissario
I need a couple of weeks of dryness for the grass to dry out so I can do some aerial work that's needed doing since early December but it's just been too soggy in the garden.

Man of Honour
GEFS 35 day (though I'm always a bit wary of the GFS) seems to think it will be colder than usual (though not by much) from/after week 3 - if there is another cold patch coming I don't think the models are really picking up on it though yet.

Man of Honour
Saw it drop to -4C on my way home - fortunately roads to dry to be icy but a fair bit of ice about anywhere there was moisture.

Back
Top Bottom