Luxury car for £6000...

Soldato
184k miles and advisories on all 4 tyres at last MOT. :o

Indeed. Though hard to tell in the photo but they don’t look too bad I suppose. But certainly an early extra expense.

If anyone was interested:

10 February 2021
PASS

Mileage
184,092 miles

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Rear Upper Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • undertrays and engine cover fitted

Soldato
Can we abuse each other through trust? That doesn't seem right :(
And then get the post deleted by admins it seems! (Which I understand because paradigms email was in there, but to be fair he's posted it on the forum a few times). But the one where I quoted honey Badger was an odd delete.

Associate
OP
The pictures were from another land rover group and were blanked... You never know. Anyway, yes I got it from Reading for £6k. It has high miles and failed it's MOT. They put it right and I drove away on Wednesday. I was given as long as I needed to inspect the car. There was loads of faults in my diagnostic machine, but they were all related to the battery going flat due to it being sat there. After I cleared these faults, drove the car and re-read the machine, all seemed good.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated with the progress. So far I'm loving it. The tyres have approximately 1500-2000 miles left and I have receipts for previous works. The tyres look like they've always been Pirelli Scorpions, which shows no expense has been spared. There is a sticker on the windscreen with the motorway logo, so I can only assume it was a motorway car or maybe something to do with highway maintenance.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The car looks really nice, I hope it works out ok at the mileage and it sounds like you have your head screwed on when it comes to cars like this.

I do think slightly brave to use carsnoreserve at a distance like that, absolutely nothing bad to say about them but I know the dealer (pass it a lot, have used them before), and obviously by their model, the cars are very variable and the risk for you having a wasted trip was there. They buy anything which goes well under book at BCA, use their competitive BCA deal through bulk as a margin and then sell at a slim margin through eBay.

Cars will 99% fit into one of 3 categories which is why they sell under book at BCA;

1) High mileage - good often great cars but understandably most dealers can’t be bothered - yours fits into this.

2) Poor assured report - mechanical issues which they know they can likely sort, but other dealers probably can’t be bothered.

3) Poor grade - again a lot of dealers won’t bother with these. Doesn’t necessarily mean bad cars but it causes the cars to sell cheaply.

Yours fitting into 1), I’m sure it’s a nice car :)

Associate
Hi guys,

Apologies for the radio silence...

So, I went to see one quite close to me, described as 'very good condition'. It smoked... A lot! The exhaust sounded like a bird was stuck in it, tweeting away and when accelerating, blue smoke poured out of the exhaust. I walked away. I was all set up to go and view the one in London, which I previously linked. Anyway, the night before the seller messaged me to say "I have been in touch with my solicitor and the car will be sold as seen, so should anything go wrong with it, it isn't his responsibility" - now, with second-hand cars, this is usually a given and the message wasn't warranted... If anything, it made me feel like there was something wrong with the vehicle. I politely declined the viewing and walked away. Anyway, in between all of this, I was watching a few different series on YouTube of people buying cheap Range Rovers and others buying eBay bargains... I got chatting to some of the Vloggers and got some rather decent advice. After this, I considered the XC90 and even looked at a couple of Q7's, but they didn't scream luxury or come close to the comfort offered with the L322. Anywho, I found a 59 plate (facelift) L322 3.6 TDV8 Autobiography that had a full-service history (part dealer, part indie) that was advertised on eBay. It was a no reserve auction, so I put it on my watch list and patiently waited for the several days. During this time, I did some vehicle checks and made sure the information provided matched the description in the advert. It all came back good, so, on Sunday I put a last minute cheeky bid in and won the car via auction. I arranged to go and see the vehicle and paid a £100, refundable deposit. I had a look around the vehicle and everything checked out.... so I finished the purchase and drove 220 miles home.

I love it!

My original post wasn't asking about the reliability of Range Rovers, nor was it asking for a 4x4 that isn't as luxurious as a Range Rover. It was simply asking, what 'luxury' vehicle can I purchase for £6000. Many thanks for your advice and points and I will keep you updated on my ownership.

149393883_10159478533154589_5522383228644682065_o.jpg
150030367_10159478533364589_1243391261344000705_o.jpg

149279245_10159478532614589_6903734456866631961_o.jpg

150148700_10159478532359589_1206565083627226753_o.jpg

149605562_10159478533494589_3902899523395387189_o.jpg

150060705_10159478533789589_1774073247365233686_o.jpg

Got to say that does look very nice :cool:! Iv got to say I am rather jealous. Hope it serves you well and keep us all updated.

Soldato
Love this thread. Threads like this make it feel like the old OcUK motors rather than today's rather boring, quiet Motors where people just seem to ask about which PCP they deal they should go for or something equally as drab. Good on you for doing your research, finding a decent example and buying it and it looks really nice. 185k miles and still looks good. If you're handy with a spanner or you know a decent small garage, you should be able to keep general maintenance costs to a minimum.

Good luck with it!

Soldato
Looks clean on the surface, but get it fully inspected. Maybe an oil analysis as well (that will indicate if there is any wear going on).

Soldato
Nice one, well you went ahead and did it... nice work man, looks in solid condition. What you find with 2nd hand cars, it's when you wash them over 2-3 times and you're up close yourself you notice little things etc, it's years old, it'll have marks etc, it'll have had bumper resprays and little things, but you know what, if it gives you what you want, epic and like said previously you put your money where your mouth is and got one and for that FULL RESPECT. Most people just yapppper on and talk crap, you hard a target, little over budget but you bought one. Hope it works out for ya and keep us updated. Some of us on here want a success story and it's good to see... what can 6k actually buy you and is it worth it! Keep us posted and well done fella!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Oner word of advice, drop gearbox oil if it's not been done, get it to a mechanic who you know, get on ramps and just make sure all is good... don't assume because it's shiny on top there's nothing nasty going on... better safe than sorry and if it were me, if no proof change diff oils and gearbox oils or whatever, just spend a little money fella just so YOU know it's done.

Man of Honour
Nice one, well you went ahead and did it... nice work man, looks in solid condition. What you find with 2nd hand cars, it's when you wash them over 2-3 times and you're up close yourself you notice little things etc, it's years old, it'll have marks etc, it'll have had bumper resprays and little things, but you know what, if it gives you what you want, epic and like said previously you put your money where your mouth is and got one and for that FULL RESPECT. Most people just yapppper on and talk crap, you hard a target, little over budget but you bought one. Hope it works out for ya and keep us updated. Some of us on here want a success story and it's good to see... what can 6k actually buy you and is it worth it! Keep us posted and well done fella!!! :cool::cool::cool:

To be fair on a 6 grand vehicle as long as it isn't symptomatic of a worse problem and done well enough a bumper respray is a pretty minor thing.

I need to get myself setup better to be able to work on cars though - I'm a bit leery of touching something I use often/rely on but there are a lot of good buys out there if you have the inclination to do the work yourself to get them into better shape (not with the intentional of reselling - there are plenty of people who do that).

Soldato
Haha great job. Now get some black wheels and a starlight headlining and you'll win at Motors! Good luck with it, looks decent and it's 6k so you know, not exactly a huge chunk on a car with that luxury. Touchwood it provides you with some trouble free motoring and if not, I'm sure you'll fix it and enjoy it :)

Soldato
To be fair on a 6 grand vehicle as long as it isn't symptomatic of a worse problem and done well enough a bumper respray is a pretty minor thing.

I need to get myself setup better to be able to work on cars though - I'm a bit leery of touching something I use often/rely on but there are a lot of good buys out there if you have the inclination to do the work yourself to get them into better shape (not with the intentional of reselling - there are plenty of people who do that).
Exactly, 100% agree fella. A lot cars with multiple owners and/or miles and years old will have had a panel resprayed at some point or a little cosmetic work, dings, idiots with trolleys etc, infact both my last two cars had a panel sprayed... as long as you know like you say its nto the whole car because it was rolled down a hill, who cars. I've got no problem spraying a panel if it was damaged, it's that or drive around with a scratch down the side etc. Like you say it's all how well it's done.

His car looks straight enough in pictures, but like I say, once you live with them and the polish wears off few weeks later you see all the marks you never did when you bought it. Hell, I've had mine 2 weeks and noticed a couple of blemishes I'd never noticed and I spent 3 hours buying the thing lol. It's used, it's 12 years old... however would be nice to see how it goes as the ONLY thing that would put me off is that mileage. 184k on a RR... stuff will be getting worn, but hey... lets see. mine's 1 year younger and on 39k... however, mine cost 2.5 times as much lol. My mantra is, you get what you pay for and now and then, you get lucky!

Man of Honour
His car looks straight enough in pictures, but like I say, once you live with them and the polish wears off few weeks later you see all the marks you never did when you bought it. Hell, I've had mine 2 weeks and noticed a couple of blemishes I'd never noticed and I spent 3 hours buying the thing lol. It's used, it's 12 years old... however would be nice to see how it goes as the ONLY thing that would put me off is that mileage. Mine;'s 1 year younger and on 39k... however, mine cost 2.5 times as much lol

When I bought my pickup looked spotless on the outside initially but then I found a spot where someone likely opened a door into it at some point - was fairly well repaired but you can feel it with your nail if you run over it and/or catch it from certain angles in the wrong light. The paintwork on the bonnet on closer inspection has seen better days as well.

Sadly within a few months I managed to put some dents in it (nothing major) but I didn't buy it to completely baby it - it gets used off-road a bit and stuff is gonna happen :s once this COVID situation is less of an issue I'll likely have a couple of panels replaced but it is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom