What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Short answer, no. Long answer, no. Replace when it no longer does its job properly. :)

Even then, you can drive a car with a slightly slipping clutch for years if you learn to drive around it.

You might find its got another 91K in it if its had careful mechanically sympathetic drivers its whole life.

Ok brill, thanks. That's saved me worrying about it. My dad's driven it for 10 of the years so it's probably got a good amount of life left. :D

A clutch will tend to show signs of wear before failing, manifesting itself as slipping usually.

Get up to a moderate speed, say 30mph, stick the car in 4th or 5th and plant your foot on the throttle. If the revs rise without any change in speed, or you get a short rise then fall in revs whilst the speed catches up, then it’s beginning to slip.

Thanks, I'll give that a go next time I'm out. :)

Soldato
The other night I cleared the snow and ice off of my car to do a shop run, got in and flicked the wipers on to clear the loose stuff off the window. Unbeknownst to me the wipers were encased in ice (they tuck in under the edge of the bonnet when not in use)

When I flicked the wipers on, the motor strained for a moment, then all the dash lights illuminated and the car stopped charging...

lol...your wipers strained for a second and blew up your alternator? Vintage Acme.... :p

Caporegime
lol...your wipers strained for a second and blew up your alternator? Vintage Acme.... :p

Yep! Haha :D

The alternator was in a sorry state though as you can see. Just the straw that broke the camels back.

Anyway, the new one arrived, it was the wrong one. The correct one was actually listed as being for a Supra/Aristo, vs the one I bought which was listed as being for a GS300 1993 - 1997... That will teach me for not cross referencing the part numbers first!

Few days waiting while it goes back, and is replaced by the other one.

Last edited:
Associate
Washed & dried, only done 80 miles this week but covered in salt. :(

Too cold for a wax, so gave the inside a quick clean as well :D

I really want to wash both of ours, I haven’t done them sense November when I put a prepared them for winter. They are filthy at mo, I done my usual 300 miles this week and my down more than usual. There is still snow on the ground here so will wait until next weekend. It’s driving me mad seeing them that dirty though.

Soldato
Installed a new HID bulb on my e46 passenger side. Headlight (still) doesn't work. Swapped driver and passenger side bulbs around, still no passenger headlight, driver side is fine. huh. Looks like I'll need to replace the ballast, if the wiring isn't all rotten.

Also swapped the wiper blades over and the driver side now misses a patch right in the centre of the wiper, even though it clicked nicely into place :(

Associate
I'm trying not to think about what all the salt from the last few weeks is doing to my D40 Navara :(

Had this pop up on my YT feed earlier just to cheer me up as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BToaNFg530

Bit savage for an MOT inspection :D

They are famous for chassis corrosion - not that any are built to last. Wouldn't be in their interest as they want to keep selling new ones. I have a 3YO Isuzu D-Max and notice the so called paint or whatever it is inside rear wheel arches is getting a beating. Need to think about doing something about that this summer. What to use inside wheel arches anyone any suggestions?

Got a speeding ticket does that count :p:o

I had a near do in December. Went wanging down onto dual carriageway bypass which was quite and passed a Subaru. The lass driving seem to take exception to being passed by a pickup so duly passed me again. Thinking I was probably biting off more than I can chew settled in behind her at a touch over 80mph. Half mile or so later round a long sweeping bend there is sat a camera van. By the time we saw it I would guess it was too late. I was expecting a ticket but never got one. I wondered if the lass driving the Subaru did and if so could just hear her blaming that b*****d pickup that flew past her :D

Man of Honour
Hah - got the 3L V6 in my Navara and it goes pretty well for a truck especially as the torque comes in early and has a decent power band it gets going off the line (as long as you don't get unlucky with turbo lag). Seems to get some people's back up for no real reason.

Soldato
20210214-163247.jpg

Picked up this magnificent piece for the roof. The puny space they call a boot in this car just isn't big enough for the travel cot and such baby paraphernalia for our trip away in the summer. I must surely be approaching peak middle age now!

Soldato
Wondered how with no rain etc, the back of the SRT8 was so dirty and relaised there's salt dust caking the whle car now... blasted with a quick pressure hose, but decided I'm going Ceramic coating next month and undersealing the thing, the UK just kills cars, especially cars that are built not to last.

Soldato
It only counts if you were doing 180mph or faster past a school, at 8am on a school day.
Hmm well I have been very lucky in the past ;) so as this is my first ticket for speeding in over 20 years I have to just accept I was lucky in the past & unlucky this time (its such a minor amount as well only 5MPH above the limit I hope they give me the course instead of the 3 points :eek:).

Soldato
I had a near do in December. Went wanging down onto dual carriageway bypass which was quite and passed a Subaru. The lass driving seem to take exception to being passed by a pickup so duly passed me again. Thinking I was probably biting off more than I can chew settled in behind her at a touch over 80mph. Half mile or so later round a long sweeping bend there is sat a camera van. By the time we saw it I would guess it was too late. I was expecting a ticket but never got one. I wondered if the lass driving the Subaru did and if so could just hear her blaming that b*****d pickup that flew past her :D
That's really lucky man :D

Back
Top Bottom