BMW and M Power Owners

OcUK Staff
Got a bit of a dilemma but my E46 M3 track car and CSL conversion I sold a couple of years ago to a friend, wants to sell it as he is need of money for another house project. He has offered it me quite cheap, 13k, so might be able to get a little more of that price.

I do miss various aspects about the car but at same time I have five cars, a sixth on the way, though the Abarth is for sale.
Should I get it back, he has not done much in the time he has owned it, 2000 miles, some interior updates but otherwise nothing, he says it still has low rear brake disc, as it was when I sold it and he feels the carbon roof could do with a re-lacquering otherwise its all as it was. If I can get it for 12k, should I be jumping all over the opportunity to get it back to then either fall back in love with it or sell it in a few months time when its track season and maybe make a few grand in doing so?

I am thinking I can park it, and instead of having 12-13k in savings, itr can sit in the car until I decide to sell it or whatever.....
Plus be cool to have both the M3 and M5 together. :D

Soldato
I think I'd be inclined to pick that up for that kind of money, too – as you say, not like it's going to lose any value and you might stand to do better selling it when things have settled/the weather has improved a bit.

Associate
Got a bit of a dilemma.....

Make a profit on re-sale at the appropriate time, use that money (and that from the M5 sale if still planned) to accommodate the Guilia Quad. or other purchases you have planned.
Worst case is you keep it and enjoy a car that you love?

OcUK Staff
The prices do seem to be going up for the E46 even more so for E39, with 6 cars you must be spending a small fortune on road tax:D

Yea it gets depressing I have fleet insurance now lol so I pay £1400 for the Aston, S2000, M5 and Abarth which also has Mrs as a named driver and I pay £800 on a separate policy for the Ferrari. Yep road tax is a killer too, the S2000 is due which near enough £600 but I’m easily paying £5000 a year in insurance and road tax, then running and servicing cost on top, it’s expensive but I keep hording, did manage to get down to two cars at one point but that did not last long lol.

Soldato
Yea it gets depressing I have fleet insurance now lol so I pay £1400 for the Aston, S2000, M5 and Abarth which also has Mrs as a named driver and I pay £800 on a separate policy for the Ferrari. Yep road tax is a killer too, the S2000 is due which near enough £600 but I’m easily paying £5000 a year in insurance and road tax, then running and servicing cost on top, it’s expensive but I keep hording, did manage to get down to two cars at one point but that did not last long lol.
Pretty reasonable on the insurance front. Road tax is a joke. It's not like you can use all cars at the same time.

Soldato
Yes. Regardless of which system you have (ABS sensor based, or valve stem based), it should just be a case of resetting the system after setting the correct pressures.
Aren't you newer ones in the valve so doesn't matter about tyres? I'm still on the e92 poor man's version which I think just compares the rolling radius.

Caporegime
Aren't you newer ones in the valve so doesn't matter about tyres? I'm still on the e92 poor man's version which I think just compares the rolling radius.
Which is why I said it doesn’t matter. The older/cheaper system just compares drag using the ABS sensors, it’s not a true TPMS but is good enough for detecting a drop in pressure across the system. So long as all 4 tyres are of a similar enough type and inflated to the same pressure this should be good enough (following a reset), the type of tyre (winter, UHP, runflat, etc) should be irrelevant.

The better systems that use valve stem sensors usually detect real time pressure and temperature. Again this is tyre agnostic, it will just work so long as the system is reset following a change in tyre.

Associate
Quite a few people have them delivered painted from the main dealer and they're spot on. Not sure I'd trust some random ebay seller in Lithuania though.

Why wouldn't you just go to the main dealer for this part? They probably sell about 5 of these a day. There are several main dealers on eBay that if you message them will give you a quote for a fully painted one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/stratstonehull99?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/marshallbmw_no1partsaccessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/listers_bmw-mini?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

...to name a few

Just wanted to say thanks. Managed to get a decent price from one of them

Associate
What's people's view on F30/31 M Sport suspension vs. G20 M Sport? Is Xdrive still not true M sport in G Series, or have BMW resolved that?

I've read that F series adaptive was popular due to the standard M Sport not being too great - G20 feedback trends towards more positive feedback on standard.

(in absence of test drives and inspired by lockdown boredom, interested to hear general opinion)

Don
Sold the wife's 118d cabriolet today , 59 plate 76k miles heated leather and other extras

been super reliable (FSH) sold for 3.5k and had my hand snapped off with loads of interest

wonder if I under priced it

Back
Top Bottom