Plusnet speed cap

Soldato
it feels recently my plusnet fibre speed has been some what capped at 40mbps which is the minimum i am supposed to get.

I pay for the higher teir fibre and used to get 68mbps quite consistently throughout the day.

Does anyone if plusnet has a capping regime and if so how I do about getting them to lift it?

thanks

Associate
they do it all the time, i am capped at 39999 when i should be around 50-60...they said nothing is wrong with my line/connection. Should be on bloody Watchdog!

Associate
they do it all the time, i am capped at 39999 when i should be around 50-60...they said nothing is wrong with my line/connection. Should be on bloody Watchdog!

I'm capped at 60 and used to easily get the full 80, I live very close to the exchange, so close in fact I used to have a direct exchange connection so couldn't get faster than 20Mb but once the fixed that I upgraded and was getting full speed, now it's capped at 60 and Plusnet say it's within the speed tolerance permitted.

I'll go elsewhere when my contract comes to an end.

Soldato
OP
go here and do the diagnostic test and see what your ip profile is BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com)

here is mine, I pay for 77 download and i got 74meg speeds for first 3 months and then went down to 71 meg and thats where it has been for last 10 months, I think they dropped my ip profile down for some reason

The site says it’s busy or error won’t run the diagnostic when I put my landline number in there

Soldato
OP
I am literally 100m from the cabinet as it is down the road from me and I can see it clear.

the package I paid is 66/20.

the IP profile is 57 downlink and 20 uplink.

the actual speed is 46 downlink and 14uplink. About 2 months ago I was enjoying full 66mbps.

Associate
well in my case my ip profile has all ways been 3 or 4 meg lower than the speed I pay for and the actual speed achieved is all ways about 3 or 4 meg below that which I believe is normal. In your case I would say there is an issue somewhere. If I was you I would phone them and ask them to start checking for faults, be prepared to wait a long time to get through but insist they look into it, also make a post on the forums and dont give in till you get an answer the more you hassle them the more likely you will get sorted. I am on them like a rash if I see any problems with my internet and they know what I am like so I think they like it when they dont hear from me, I very rarely have issues now a days but I check my speeds every week and if I see anything drop I am on the phone to them giving them ear ache...see how you get on :)

Soldato
My modern is syncing at 39999, however Plusnet have capped me (their side) at 37Mbps.

Should I be asking them to lift my cap slightly, or is 37Mbps cap on 40Mbps sync speed normal?

Associate
if your ip profile is 3 or 4 below what you pay for then that is usually normal, you can expect 2 or 3 lower than that actual speed as a norm. in my case i pay for 77meg but ip profile is synced at 74.1 and I get about 71.5 download which I am well happy with, hope this helps.
I dont think anyone gets the exact speed they pay for but you should not be to far off it unless there is a problem somewhere

here is my test today, my speed is the same as it was 6 days ago so I assume I have a very stable line

have you run the btw test and diagnostic?

Last edited:
Associate
Just because you get a sync of 80/20 won't mean you would get that speed. It depends how good your line is and how much it needs to drop to get a stable line.

It's perfectly normal.
if you read the opening post you will see that his speeds are not normal and have dropped significantly which in my view needs investigation from the internet provider

Back
Top Bottom