*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
i find my unifi ac pro to be very picky with ethernet cables. some cables makes it default to 100mbit insted of 1gbit. anyone else has that sort of issue where with certain type of cable it drops to 100fdx?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
i find my unifi ac pro to be very picky with ethernet cables. some cables makes it default to 100mbit insted of 1gbit. anyone else has that sort of issue where with certain type of cable it drops to 100fdx?

Mines been pretty solid since day one but I have always used Excel Networking or lately Ubnt Networking cables for the patching.

However, they are getting replaced soon as I have some U6-LR's on the way over.

Soldato
Email from DPD stating import duties need to be paid, so UI still haven't sorted the Brexit farce. Reading on the UI forums that UI state they'll refund fees, but haven't actually refunded anyone yet.

So mulling rejecting it, which will sending it back to UI. Ordered a UI 16 Port Lite switch, been waiting for ages and nobody in the UK has stock.

Soldato
DPD? They have always used UPS for me when ordering from the EU store.

It was listed as a UPS shipment, but then changed to DPD. I've accepted the fees and have emailed support for the refund of charges, based on some responses I'm thinking I should have rejected the package. ******* Brexit :mad:

Soldato
I have such a love hate relationship with Ubiquiti right now. When it works it works, when it doesn't it really breaks hard.

So I recently replaced my aging Edgerouter Lite 3 with a USG 4 Pro. I spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to adopt the USG into my existing environment. Apparently you can't simply adopt a USG like you might an AP and need to manually configure it onto the same subnet as your UniFi controller.

Once that struggle was over I started firing some firmware updates. APs, Switch, USG all updated without issue. Then I update the Cloudkey Gen 2 Plus... Big mistake.

I neglected to see the update was 1.x to 2.x and although this shouldn't have mattered I should have probably considered whether such a major update to what I now know to be Unity OS was wise.

The update bricked my Cloudkey by getting it stuck in a permanent 'Preparing to Setup' phase. I couldn't work around it at all which left me staring down a factory defaults black hole. Cue the dreaded SSH command and the erasure of all my G3 Pro camera footage I can finally move forward.

I manually applied the 2.x firmware via SSH wget and fwpdate. Turns out automatic backups for my Cloudkey didn't exist but fortunately I had just done manual backups of Network and Protect so could restore them.

Some many hours after what I thought would be a simple USG install my environment is up and running.

Turns out that my Protect is broken though. Unifi OS handles additional user access to Network / Protect differently. As the owner I can remotely access my controller via web and mobile app fine. No other users can though. It also turns out any newly created users can't either!

It seems its a fairly common issue on the UniFi Community forums and a range of 'so called' fixes have worked for some, but not me. One of the issues people face is typing a new user email in anything other than all lower case causes the invite / user addition to fail. How amateur is that! Another fix for the some is to disable and re-enable Remote Access, delete ALL users that are not the owner and any custom roles, reboot, then add new users.

I am now waiting for Tier 2 support to give some idea of what's broken in my case! I'm not hopeful.

As a final note - I don't appreciate having to inspect an element of the Radius Server config page and to run manual console commands to enable Site Wide Client config to get my L2TP VPN working. A setting which doesn't even show in the new settings and is only visible, but disabled to toggle, in classic view!

Last edited:
Soldato
Must say mine have been a bit hit and miss recently. Each of my ac lites will just suddenly alert that they're offline. Still ping, can still ssh. Only thing that brings them back is a reboot (either via ssh or power cycle).

Getting a bit annoying when an ap goes "off" and every device then gets stuck on an ap the other end of the house so you have to reconnect everything in the controller (I long for functional ap/controller assisted roaming).

Associate
It was listed as a UPS shipment, but then changed to DPD. I've accepted the fees and have emailed support for the refund of charges, based on some responses I'm thinking I should have rejected the package. ******* Brexit :mad:

How much are the charges? I'm on the verge of ordering a USW-16-PoE to complete my home network but unsure whether to order direct from UI or get it from a UK based reseller.

Associate
Having a quick read around, it suggests they are charging VAT (which is already paid at source) plus an admin fee. Rather than rely on UI's word of refunding charges, I think I'll just find a UK distributor to order from.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having a quick read around, it suggests they are charging VAT (which is already paid at source) plus an admin fee. Rather than rely on UI's word of refunding charges, I think I'll just find a UK distributor to order from.

Correct - and UI will refund the admin fee, not the VAT or the import duty. UI should not have charged you VAT for an outside of EU export sale. If they did, then they should refund that as well.

You have to pay the VAT. Previously you paid the VAT in the Czech Republic and that was that. Now they sell you the device as an export model and the UK HMRC levy VAT plus import duty plus an admin fee. UI EU store will only refund you the admin fee.

If you buy a device from a UK distributor then the import duty will have been paid and then you pay the VAT on top of that. So yes, wait until UBNT set up a UK store or buy from a UK distributor.

Soldato

I would

“we are only refunding fees over applicable VAT and customs duties. You have been charged accordingly.”

If it had been clearer I would have rejected the package

Soldato
well i owe ubiquiti an apology. turns out after all these years iv had the unifi access point iv wired the cable wrong, green/white swapped for blue/white.
got my kiddo to do cable test with me today, turns out i should be looking at the small slide out unit of the tester and not the part the battery goes in since that shows the wiring always in sequence order any only shows up continuity errors.
kiddo shouting the lights sequence and then reading numbers in wrong order. im shouting at him thinking 7 year old is just peeing about but low and behold hes right and the wires are mixed.
got his eyes to do a check for me and yep.
iv had 2 new rj45's on it before so cant believe iv messed it up twice in a row. standing on sofa is probably to blame and bad lighting up there.
fixed it now but cable is bit short. got a coupler on it and patch to test with but getting 1000fdx now and wifi speed is rocketed up.
unifiacpro.jpg

any ideas on how to tidy now? cable is plastered in wall so cant do jack with it.

hmm on 2nd thoughts could redrill the bracket and rotate wall bracket. or put a faceplate on the wall and then cable to ap?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It was listed as a UPS shipment, but then changed to DPD.

It looks like mines done the same on my U6-LR's, I wonder if that the process for going over a set amount arrives by DPD.

As I had some other stuff last week which was delievered by UPS.

Back
Top Bottom