Politically correct term for 'chinese whispers'

Soldato
Our contracts used to refer to Chinese Walls. They were changed to "Ethical Walls". I'm in the legal team and I still find it odd when I see "Ethical Wall" in the contract. Not had any questions on it from the other side, but obvious from the rest of the clause what we're talking about.
Well the Chinese obviously build fantastic walls. You can see one of them from space for God's sake so I don't see what the fuss is about. :D

Man of Honour
Honk honk. Just another day in clown world.

Miscommunication.

No, that doesn't describe the specific phenomenon in question, which is the result of the cumulative effect of repeated miscommunications.

The politically correct term is chinese whispers. It's not politically incorrect.

Well the Chinese obviously build fantastic walls. You can see one of them from space for God's sake so I don't see what the fuss is about. :D

Not to detract from the monumental size of the wall, but that's a myth, it is absolutely not visible from even L.E.O.

Capodecina
Soldato
Not to detract from the monumental size of the wall, but that's a myth, it is absolutely not visible from even L.E.O.

Well, I never, I always thought it was.

Also I'm pleased that this led me on to find out that the definition of a "factoid" is a rumour presented as fact. I always wondered what it meant.

Associate
Nothing wrong with Chinese whispers or China virus! Maybe you will get in trouble in a uni for saying these phrases but the Chinese academics are probably too busy stealing intellectual property to be offended!

Caporegime
Not enough time for it nowadays, thanks to the internet and most people routinely carrying about a camera (in their phone). It's more important to be first than to be right and the internet will almost always be first. With pictures and video.
they don't even seem to look for news stories though or do any kind of research.

it's more like neighbourhood gossip, sometimes I read the newspaper websites and I wonder why half the stories exist other than to fill a white space.

BBC is just as bad.
it's like everything is basically becoming a gossip magazine or a way to imprint their views on the readers.

we don;'t get facts and an unbiased opinion any more, we get someone else's viewpoint.

when did we stop having our own minds? and become some stupid hive

Nothing wrong with Chinese whispers or China virus! Maybe you will get in trouble in a uni for saying these phrases but the Chinese academics are probably too busy stealing intellectual property to be offended!
UNIs are getting woke wardens to protect the freedom of speech apparently

Last edited:
Soldato
People have got to just get over this complete nonsense. One of the largest gov clients I have proactively base their defence in depth strategies on "Chinese VMs" and everyone knows what they mean.

Man of Honour
Is it, by camera just difficult to spot as it kinda blends in.

The pyramids can be seen more clearly.

With a good enough camera covering the right wavelengths almost anything is visible from almost anywhere with line of sight. It's not meaningful other than as a measurement of the capabilities of the camera.

It's also a bit weird regarding the great wall of China. Why would anyone even expect a very narrow structure to be visible to the naked eye from a hundred miles above it? There are plenty of artificial things in China (and elsewhere) that are visible to the naked eye from space. Cities, mainly.

Man of Honour
I think you should really change your attitude. It's not "we" as in "those who are changing" and "they" who are causing you to. Everyone is we. We (as in everyone) has been changing language to conform to new social norms since before the cavemen. If you don't like it, there's not much point in complaining about it. Just carry on using it. Or don't. It will die out, or it won't.

What else do you do? Force everyone to say Chinese whispers in a mantra to keep it going?
Language evolving is not the same as language being used as a weapon.

Back
Top Bottom