Main oven won't heat up despite lighting

Soldato
Anyone any good with ovens?

We're bin the poop because the main oven won't heat up, the pilot comes on there is a flame there, but turning up the heat does nothing.

We're a family of four and need the oven, annoyingly it's only 2.5 years old

Cheers

Soldato
OP
It's a gas oven then?

Odd, sounds like the regulator has failed maybe or the igniter? Is it actually firing up? What make?

Sorry yeah vital info there it's a gas oven and it's a Hotpoint

It lights up and the smaller too oven and grill and the hobs are all fine

I'm going to try cleaning the burner tomorrow with a tooth brush maybe it's full of crud

Soldato
Possibly the element, disconnect its power, unscrew the panel covering the fan and element, remove the element and check for cracks, they can break and require replacing, usually less than £30 for generic replacements.

Caporegime
Possibly the element, disconnect its power, unscrew the panel covering the fan and element, remove the element and check for cracks, they can break and require replacing, usually less than £30 for generic replacements.

Stupid question but do gas ovens have them? I always presumed that was just electric ones for some reason haha

Soldato
This thread is full of fail, electric ovens with pilot lights and gas ovens with elements.

OP cut your losses and get a new oven or hire a professional and let's call it a day on this thread.

Soldato
Stupid question but do gas ovens have them? I always presumed that was just electric ones for some reason haha

Not stupid in the slightest but the guy above didn't read the whole thread.

There are a couple of potential issues, but if the pilot is lighting then the main one would be thermostat. Should be fairly simple to replace but would most likely require the oven being removed from its position. If its a fitted oven (not free standing) then it will be hard fitted to the gas main (not on a flexy pipe) and will require the gas to be off. Ideally a gas Safe person is required to do this although technically there are loop holes around this. As a gas Safe engineer I would recommend getting it done properly

Caporegime
Last time I used a gas oven, it just had a fixed size flame based on where the dial was, much like this ones on the hob, there are no thermostats involved.

Soldato
Could be a number of things

Did the flame used to start small then go big after 30 seconds or so or do you have to keep the knob pushed down for 10 seconds or so to light.
Former will be an fsd failed, later could be a blocked injector.
Oven stats gas or electric usually fail hot as they are a liquid gas expansion vessel and over a period of time leak a little so get hotter to register the same temperature setting.

Back
Top Bottom