• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Look at those 4K numbers. Ouchie!

3090 is 25% ahead of 3080 in average and 37% ahead in minimums! vram limitations kicking in! Poor 3080

and that's just the start of next gen gaming, haha 3080 owners are gonna be crying if they don't upgrade to higher vram cards

Last edited:
Associate
I've seen MSI reporting the game is using more than 12Gb at 4k epic RT ( which is exactly what the devs claimed before). But from that test it doesn't look like the 3080 is affected, either is cutting the graphics or the game is not using more than 10Gb even if this is reported in the MSI when you use a card with more VRAM. You can't really tell because the game is not running well anyway, it is not the best engine or the best implementation of the engine. But if VRAM limit was a problem, then you will see much lower frame rates on the 3080.

Soldato
I've seen MSI reporting the game is using more than 12Gb at 4k epic RT ( which is exactly what the devs claimed before). But from that test it doesn't look like the 3080 is affected, either is cutting the graphics or the game is not using more than 10Gb even if this is reported in the MSI when you use a card with more VRAM. You can't really tell because the game is not running well anyway, it is not the best engine or the best implementation of the engine. But if VRAM limit was a problem, then you will see much lower frame rates on the 3080.

Not much other reason to explain why the 3090 is nearly 40% faster than the 3080 at 4k when your turn Ray Tracing on.

Other than 24gb of VRAM, it only has 20% more cores and other games show differences between the two cards between 5% and 15%. And your video clearly shows the game using 13GB VRAM at 4k with RT on, that's not allocated but actually used

Associate
Not much other reason to explain why the 3090 is nearly 40% faster than the 3080 at 4k when your turn Ray Tracing on.

Other than 24gb of VRAM, it only has 20% more cores and other games show differences between the two cards between 5% and 15%. And your video clearly shows the game using 13GB VRAM at 4k with RT on, that's not allocated but actually used
I was expecting much lower "lows" for Vram limited card. But there is a guy out there commenting that he was sometimes in the 20's even at 3440 x 1440 and that lowering the settings from epic to high fixed this so it may well be Vram limitation and a bad review from that Wccftech website.
Anyway i wouldn't feel confortable with a 10Gb card, especially since now they are damn expensive. Better buy the 3090 beast and that's it. :D

Caporegime
Did you watch the video? If not then he reckoned the 3080 was getting its fps tanked because of its low Vram when RT was enabled.
Ok my bad and I offer my sincere apologies... I clearly skipped to the wrong parts and I missed the important bits. *slaps own writst*.

If that is the case then it would confirm what many of us considered a very realistic and probable risk within this generation, as close to being inevitable as it gets considering games already existed that use more than 8GB VRAM at maxed out settings at 4k.

I didn't see it in the video, but does Godfall not support DLSS to mitigate the lack of VRAM? I would be interested to see what impact it has on the 3080 in this situation.

Soldato
Well as far as I have experienced at 1440p a 3080 doesn't have the FPS at 4k anyway. Not when you put RT on etc.

Some numbers:

Watch Dogs Legion.
60-80 FPS. 1440p max everything except balanced DLS and 2 headlights.

I haven't played it but Cyberpunk gets similar numbers at 1440p.

Then we have a non RT game like Valhalla which is on average on my pc getting 70fps at 1440p.

So I can't imagine how the 3080 copes at 4k.

So vram isn't a concern for me at 1440p.

I should cope with 10Gb.

Associate
Most likely he only tested the cards at the beginning you can see the VRAM is under 10Gb when you start playing and it goes over 13Gb as you play. So you will probably see even higher dips from the 3080 at 4k.
Soon we will see a thread where someone will ask if 16Gb is enough. :D

Soldato
Ok my bad and I offer my sincere apologies... I clearly skipped to the wrong parts and I missed the important bits. *slaps own writst*.

If that is the case then it would confirm what many of us considered a very realistic and probable risk within this generation, as close to being inevitable as it gets considering games already existed that use more than 8GB VRAM at maxed out settings at 4k.

I didn't see it in the video, but does Godfall not support DLSS to mitigate the lack of VRAM? I would be interested to see what impact it has on the 3080 in this situation.
AMD sponsored titles so no DLSS

Caporegime
Well as far as I have experienced at 1440p a 3080 doesn't have the FPS at 4k anyway. Not when you put RT on etc.

Some numbers:

Watch Dogs Legion.
60-80 FPS. 1440p max everything except balanced DLS and 2 headlights.

I haven't played it but Cyberpunk gets similar numbers at 1440p.

Then we have a non RT game like Valhalla which is on average on my pc getting 70fps at 1440p.

So I can't imagine how the 3080 copes at 4k.

So vram isn't a concern for me at 1440p.

I should cope with 10Gb.
DLSS will continue to mitigate the RT impact on fps as it gets rolled out into more and more titles. I have been testing it on a couple of games (Control in particular) and the framerate is literally doubled for what in practical terms (ie: while you are playing) seems like an imperceptive impact on IQ. I mean seriously, it is one of the most impressive and potentially even revolutionary features I have ever seen in all my years of gaming. DLSS 2.0 is already excellent but if the rumours are true then DLSS 3.0 will likely be a real game changer.

AMD need to get AMDLSS out fast and even then it's going to be a generation or two behind NVDLSS. Not having it, especially when your RT performance is weaker to start with, is a real disadvantage.

Last edited:
Soldato
3090 is 25% ahead of 3080 in average and 37% ahead in minimums! vram limitations kicking in! Poor 3080

and that's just the start of next gen gaming, haha 3080 owners are gonna be crying if they don't upgrade to higher vram cards

Or they could just turn down a few settings. Lol.

Fear not the reduced-settings apocalypse. I have already experienced it with my 3080 and I'm fine.

Although in my case it has *nothing to do with vram*. The GPU itself simply lacks the power needed to max-out my driving sims.

Maybe lowered settings are somehow more traumatic when experienced after hitting a vram limit?

Caporegime
Or they could just turn down a few settings. Lol.

Fear not the reduced-settings apocalypse. I have already experienced it with my 3080 and I'm fine.

Although in my case it has *nothing to do with vram*. The GPU itself simply lacks the power needed to max-out my driving sims.

Maybe lowered settings are somehow more traumatic when experienced after hitting a vram limit?
Out of curiousity what resolution and fps are you aiming for? I imagine a driving sim needs high FPS more than many other games?

For me 4k60fps is fine as I mainly play story-driven RPG and adventure games.

Soldato
Out of curiousity what resolution and fps are you aiming for? I imagine a driving sim needs high FPS more than many other games?

For me 4k60fps is fine as I mainly play story-driven RPG and adventure games.

That was my post so I'll reply:

I'm running a Reverb G1. -A little over 4k @90FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom