• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Soldato
There is some news on us pushing for local manufacturing.

If you guys think gpus market gone to ****, its more than that.

There is global shortage on other chips as well. G5 infrastructure, Car manufacturers slowed down, this is a wake up call for EU and US. It becomes dangerous to rely on china’s manufacturing.

Its similar to a company refusing to train new ppl to do a specific task, and then run around like headless chickens when the old guy retires, and there is no one to replace him with. Complacency and relying on foreign manufacturing is dangerous
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/business/economy/semiconductors-chips-congress-china.html
Can't make them in the UK, we're a service economy that makes Nissan cars

Soldato
Either way, mining clearly uses a colossal amount of power. But I doubt there are many in the developed world who can get on their high horse about it without being somewhat hypocritical. We all waste a colossal amount of power daily.

Well you use wood so criticising me for starting that forest fire is just hypocrisy. I have little problem with the individual miners who put like one or two GPUs towards it - the real issue is those who've basically industrialised the process with dedicated farms which draw power in the many kilowatts or even megawatts range - far more than a normal household consumes. It's not just the power draw that's the problem there, they're basically factories for turning perfectly good GPUs into e-waste.

Soldato
The cards are undervolted using less power than when a computer is running for gaming purposes, if someone plays for 12 hours a day on a 3080 they could use more power than a 3080 used for mining in 24 hours.

The issue should be the power the miners are using, the issue should be where that power is coming from, and then the issue of progression and advancement, less reliance on fossil fuels, more green energy.

Permabanned
OP
Well you use wood so criticising me for starting that forest fire is just hypocrisy. I have little problem with the individual miners who put like one or two GPUs towards it - the real issue is those who've basically industrialised the process with dedicated farms which draw power in the many kilowatts or even megawatts range - far more than a normal household consumes. It's not just the power draw that's the problem there, they're basically factories for turning perfectly good GPUs into e-waste.

Which is worse? 1000 users with 1000 cards or 1000000 users with 1 card?

I don't think you can claim that anyone mining is not damaging the environment, but at the same time this is predictable. People are selfish and greedy. If you invent a system that uses a lot of power to make money then people will use that power as long as there is a profit. Most people don't really care about the environment and don't have any appetite for change. But to invent a currency that just wastes power is crazy.

Soldato
The cards are undervolted using less power than when a computer is running for gaming purposes, if someone plays for 12 hours a day on a 3080 they could use more power than a 3080 used for mining in 24 hours.

That maybe true of someone mining with one card but generally people who are serious about mining will be running many cards.

Soldato
Well you use wood so criticising me for starting that forest fire is just hypocrisy.

You know the UK is one of the most polluting countries on the planet, right? Responsible for around 74Gt CO2 over the past 170 years. Measured by consumption, we're the 6th worst country in the world for CO2 emissions today. And here you are, banging on about how awful it is that Bitcoin might be responsible for roughly 0.0017% of the world's CO2 production over the next 12 months (extrapolated from figures found here).

I'm not saying Bitcoin mining is an environmental good. That would be insane. In fact, I agree that it's a tremendous waste of energy. But if you live in a developed nation, chances are you're responsible for colossal amounts of wasted energy and resources, and huge amounts of pollution each year. However, this discussion isn't really about the environment, is it? It's about claiming moral superiority over the miners, who are wrecking your hobby by buying up all the GPUs.

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly it sucks for gaming but whining about it isn't going to do anything, you would be foolish to not be cashing in on crypto and mining currently imo. The old phrase 'if you cant beat them join them' springs to mind ;) . I spent £670 on a 3070 which was bad but then again I sold my 1070Ti for £300 which offset the cost + the profit from crypto which paid for the card in the 1st place and now I'm also using the card to earn more profit.

Soldato
On the + side when crypto crashes and/or mine's itself out of profitability as it gets more and more complex with the calculations the market will be absolutely flooded with cheap GPU's, 10 a penny

Soldato
On the + side when crypto crashes and/or mine's itself out of profitability as it gets more and more complex with the calculations the market will be absolutely flooded with cheap GPU's, 10 a penny

Did this happen last time? From what I remember, mining didn't suddenly become less popular when the price crashed at the end of 2017. Instead it kind of fizzled out over 6-9 months. There was always that hope that prices would go back up (see Dogecoin, Gamestop) and so people hung on and kept mining.

Associate
Wouldn't it be nice if all that utilised processing power was going towards, say, solving equations relating to nuclear fusion, rather than verifying the legitimacy of Bitcoin transactions.

Soldato

A few years back I got a second-hand 280x cheap when bitcoin crashed. The price of cards on ebay dropped like a stone after the bitcoin price fell.

I'm hoping the same happens again.

Associate
Apparently cryptocurrency mining is currently using more electricity than the entire country of Argentina.

In a world that is striving to reach carbon neutrality, this surely is a worrying amount of power usage considering how heavily coal power stations are used globally?

Associate
Apparently cryptocurrency mining is currently using more electricity than the entire country of Argentina.

In a world that is striving to reach carbon neutrality, this surely is a worrying amount of power usage considering how heavily coal power stations are used globally?
Haha yeah, crypto has become one of the worst thing that happend to the environment, literally wasting computing power with nothing in return. Interesting how Tesla has always presented themselves as green, and then go ahead and invest heavily in to bitcoin.

Associate
Years and years with little break now we have seen miners systematically destroy the gamers GPU market. I don't blame the miners, but it really does make me question the sanity of the idiots who invented cryptocurrencies. They clearly didn't stop to think of the consequences of what they are doing. I mean not only has it completely wrecked the GPU market for gamers, but mining cryptocurrencies now consumes more electricity than the whole of Argentina. What a disgraceful waste of electricity.
With NVIDIA now releasing obsolete GPU's to make up the shortfalls for the PC builders, it really makes you wonder where this is all going. It seems that gamers are rapidly becoming second class citizens and the real market drivers here are the miners. And there is no sign of any reprieve for the gamers. All we get is escalating prices and obsolete gear. I'm so sick of it.

Rant over.

What will be will be xx

Soldato
Haha yeah, crypto has become one of the worst thing that happend to the environment, literally wasting computing power with nothing in return. Interesting how Tesla has always presented themselves as green, and then go ahead and invest heavily in to bitcoin.
Nothing in return? Think you'll find you get money in return.

Back
Top Bottom