X4 Foundations

Soldato
OP
icon_exclaim.gif
Looking at new ways to manage hostilities in 4.00
icon_exclaim.gif

This quarter, the X4: Foundations universe will be extended once again! Alongside the second expansion, X4: Cradle of Humanity, we will also be releasing the largest free update to X4 yet. The 4.00 update will not only include many quality-of-life improvements to X4: Foundations, but will also introduce a number of new features. Some of these new features were announced at the start of the beta phase, but we’ll be shedding light on more of them between now and the full public release of the 4.00 update and X4: Cradle of Humanity.

To kick things off, we'll look at three new ways to manage hostilities, i.e. what your ships can and cannot attack. To help us illustrate this, content creator Werit has prepared a video showing you what these new options really mean, how they're used, and what advantages they bring to your X4: Foundations experience. Make sure you visit Werit's channel and subscribe, so as not to miss any of his helpful X4: Foundations videos.

For a short-term attack, you can choose to "mark as hostile" any non-hostile object. This generates a “relation boost”, usually lasting around 10 minutes, during which time this object will be treated as a hostile enemy. This new feature enables you to start a fight against a non-enemy object without having to fire on it manually. The 10 minute relation boost is usually long enough to ensure that a battle starts. The battle itself should then sustain the hostile state long enough for an outcome to be achieved.

For a medium-term attack, you can apply a new "fire authorisation override" setting, either globally or on specific ships. This tells those ships which factions they're allowed to attack – whether or not those factions are actually enemies. This option can be used to start a more general fight with a specific faction, by overriding the usual peaceful behaviour of your ships towards theirs. It can also be used to try and make peace with a faction that is currently your enemy. This is achieved by altering your ships’ default behaviour, which would normally be to attack, with an override instruction not to shoot.

For a long-term attack, we have introduced a "war declaration" option. This is a decision to make a faction your enemy, and to inform them of the situation. This will take effect immediately. But beware! There is no "peace declaration" option. If you decide that you want to make up with that now-hostile faction, you will have to work your way back into their good books.

To try out these new features ahead of the public release of the 4.00 update, you can join in with the current 4.00 beta phase. Just visit our forum for instructions on how to take part.

We'll be back soon with more insights into the 4.00 update and X4: Cradle of Humanity. Until then, enjoy your space travels, leave a review, wishlist Cradle of Humanity and stay safe!
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=5006265#p5006265

Soldato
X4: Cradle of Humanity and 4.00 Update to be released on March 16, 2021

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/392160/view/3067482483311162136

Also Beta 7 dropped as well -

Among other things, beta 7 includes the following changes:
  • A new Emergency Eject feature that places you in your space suit if your ship gets destroyed.
  • The next iteration of the Terraforming feature.
  • More improvements to the way miners make use of resource probes.
  • Better simulation of combat in distant sectors.
  • More details in to the Transaction Log.
  • Lots more juicy bugs squashed.
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=405397

Soldato
OP
https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=433686

Hello everybody,

you may have noticed that during the last couple of beta versions of 4.0, we have made a number of balancing changes that all affect all types of mining (especially notable when some changes broke the economy in one beta).

The general goal is to make mining more interesting but not as easy. Profitability will be reduced for simple repetitive mining and it will be necessary to explore more regions and deploy resource probes.

Things that have already been done include:
  • The speed of mining operation is now more dependent on skill of a crew and region specifics. Silicon mining in particular may take longer in most cases. As a result, the time taken for actual mining should now be more significant compared to the time selling the resources off to refineries (or delivering to your own)
  • Mining ships will only mine in known regions and not go into as yet unexplored systems.
  • The mining AI commands were made to work with the newly introduced loop behaviour and multiple bugs were fixed.
  • Resource probes are preferred as locations for mining. Starting with the next beta, the area around probes will be compared to the surrounding area, and only preferred if the marked spot is currently above average.
  • Depletion of regions goes much faster now and replenishment takes longer so that the combined effect should be noticeable for the first time, requiring large scale mining operations by NPCs as well as the player to be more dynamic.
  • There are new threats for mining ships - Kha'ak in particular are attracted to lucrative mining regions, making it more important to protect your mining ships.
  • Other layers of the economy were changed to give food products more importance than before and also boosting the effect workforce has on station production.
Today we want to hear your opinion about one further change we consider for the next beta:

We are considering making all regions near the central highway ring a lot less profitable for mining thereby driving mining ships further into the periphery of the X universe. The effect will be longer travel times and higher risks for mining ships.

The reason why this change may be seen as more intrusive than the others listed above, is that it will change, not just absolute profit, but relative profitability of refineries you have built in your existing savegames. If, for example, you have placed your own refineries in Argon Prime, then your mining ships will now have to fly much longer distances to bring Ore or Silicon there. If we go ahead with this change, we believe the resource levels would be more realistic and the effect it has on the mining activities would be a net positive.

So here you have it: we are aware this will be controversial and people will have different opinions about it. Please give us your vote: Are you for or against this change?

Link to poll on this topic: Google docs poll

As always: Thank you very much for supporting our team and the X games. We are very much looking forward to the 4.00 release on March 16th!

-Bernd

Soldato
Ok sweet.

Been thinking about this game for ages now, wanting to get back into it but also wanted to wait for the terran patch. Its perfect timing as I am not into any other games right now other than PUBG and I have overplayed that recently and just getting more frustraited then having fun.

I think I'll probably start a new save, and start terran assuming you can.

Be interesting to see if it runs better on my new (ish) Ryzen 5800x machine with 64gb of ram, all be it with the same 1070 I had last time I played. I am actually amazed how many hours I put into this game, 450 hours in what seemed like only a month, but I guess it was during the last lockdown if I remember and was on furlough for 6 weeks.

Soldato
oh yeah this game is so good.

Just started a brand new save as the Terran Cadet.

Its been about 10-11 months since I played it and I thought it would take me ages to figure out what I was doing but I must admit after only 10-15 minutes and checking some of the control maps its coming flodding back. It kept all my settings thankfully. Its like 450 hours of muscle memory or whatever but its come flooding back.

Love this game, shame I am not on furlough this time around, have to play it whilst skiving work in the afternoons lol.

Soldato
Nah nerfed to hell.

Spent over an hour in Faulty Logic, found hundreds of the bottom tier crystals, 15 of the next one up, total sale about 750k from an hour.

Oh well, back to auto miners I guess.

Back
Top Bottom