Is this a first edition book?

Commissario
This is just for curiosity, I don't think it's worth anything.

Spycatcher by Peter Wright - I bought two copies from VK in 1987 and this is the title page. It says "First published in 1987" and there are no edition markings.

Spoilered because of the large picture.

I'm just wondering if it is actually a first edition.

pKqFEnB.jpeg

Compared to this one which I know for certainly is a first edition (The End of Borley Rectory by Harry Price), the styling is the same.

TtFeFYR.jpeg

(but this one also has a note inside)
il1qFi9.png

Caporegime
U can just google the ISBN number and see unless I'm missing something.

everyone with the same isbn says first edition, seen it as low as £17

Commissario
OP
Take a photo of the front cover for us.
Here you go.

38uzatw.jpeg

3eboyCc.jpeg

Interestingly, the spine says Australia...

46dzCq1.jpeg

But the price on the dust cover is Irish.

yuFseTn.jpeg

I absolutely know I bought this from Australia, no question about it.

The value is unimportant, I don't care about any value or lack of value, I just wondered if it was a first edition because I remember the stink when it first came out and the only way to get it was to import it.

There are no photographs in the book at all. I've seen it mentioned that later revisions had photos.

Caporegime
There are no photographs in the book at all. I've seen it mentioned that later revisions had photos.
yea I saw a mention on one listing that the first edition had no photos so it likely is.

would the currency amount printed on a book cover usually make any difference? like yours is Irish currency, maybe technically the book got released in England first or whatever so people would prefer that one.
or would all first editions be equal regardless of the cover

Commissario
U can just google the ISBN number and see unless I'm missing something.

everyone with the same isbn says first edition, seen it as low as £17
ISBN IIRC doesn't indicate printing, just the book and publisher from memory, so a first print and a reprint in the same format from the same publisher will usually have no external difference.
Usually the only reliable way to check the printing is if it's missing any numbers at the front of the book as first editions don't have any in a certain place, then each reprint ads one (so it goes from blank to 1, 1 2, 1 2 3), although sometimes they also fix errors/typos etc in reprints.

Back
Top Bottom