*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Tried again to pre-order, got cut off the first time I rang, the second time I was told that I could only pre-order the headset without controllers.

Wanted the headset with controllers, I then asked how long it would be until they come back in stock and he said it would be a few months, not good.:(

Well what do you know, just managed to order a Reverb G2 with controller.

Thought I would try clicking the linking with the quote the girl sent me and it allowed me to buy this time after not allowing me to previously.

Expected delivery date is Thursday. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Tried again to pre-order, got cut off the first time I rang, the second time I was told that I could only pre-order the headset without controllers.

Wanted the headset with controllers, I then asked how long it would be until they come back in stock and he said it would be a few months, not good.:(

Well what do you know, just managed to order a Reverb G2 with controller.

Thought I would try clicking the linking with the quote the girl sent me and it allowed me to buy this time after not allowing me to previously.

Expected delivery date is Thursday. :)
It's as though they don't want to sell them! Really weird setup, they've obviously got some available.

Associate
ok, managed to get an hour using mine between meetings.

Graphics quality much higher (as expected) than my Oculus Rift CV1. Just messing around in the home to try some difference things out really shows the upgrade in resolution being able to see text much much sharply. I do notice that the you have to look directly ahead to get the best quality, if you look off to the side of the lenses the quality degrades.

MSFS2020, looks good, frame rate dreadful at the moment, flying out of LOWI (Austria Innsbruck with ORBX Enhanced scenery), 20fps, not an issue with the headset, will need to play with lots of settings to get a decent framerate.

Tonight I will be trying DCS, Elite Dangerous, Project Cars 2 so will report back after I've played those.

Soldato
ok, managed to get an hour using mine between meetings.

Graphics quality much higher (as expected) than my Oculus Rift CV1. Just messing around in the home to try some difference things out really shows the upgrade in resolution being able to see text much much sharply. I do notice that the you have to look directly ahead to get the best quality, if you look off to the side of the lenses the quality degrades.

MSFS2020, looks good, frame rate dreadful at the moment, flying out of LOWI (Austria Innsbruck with ORBX Enhanced scenery), 20fps, not an issue with the headset, will need to play with lots of settings to get a decent framerate.

Tonight I will be trying DCS, Elite Dangerous, Project Cars 2 so will report back after I've played those.

Here's a great thread on FS2020 performance...

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - Virtual Reality (VR) / Hardware & Performance - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Associate
Loving my G2, had it since the first week of Dec from SA, got the £50 cashback as a sweetener too for the long intial wait.

I have an IPD of 71.9, so outside of the 68mm max you can dial in.... so the sweetspot for me was practically non-existent for a while without lots of eyestrain.

To try to get a better IPD/Sweetspot, I ordered a 3D printed face gasket from the auction site and it arrived, but was broken, poorly made and not really any better once I fudged it together to see if I wanted a replacement (which I was offered)... saw loads of frankenmod style YT vids and ordered some face gaskets, first a set of 3 different thicknesses from the river site for the Vive and then a proper VR Cover for the samsung oddessy, which is quite thick... removed the stock face gasket, added velco hooks to the headset and put it on.... it's like magic... huge sweetspot with my eyes closer (but not too close that I see the edges of each screen) and the IPD is artificially increased to an estimate of 70mm, so not quite what I need, but good enough to avoid heavy eyestrain.

Absolutely loving it! Had a DK, DK1, CV1, Rift S and Index prior and the G2 is my favourite by far.

I race iRacing mainly and fly in DCS, MSFS2020 and ED and it is great for all... takes some heavy hardware investments and upgrading to get the 90 FPS at 1:1 SS and in-game, but it's worth it to me.

I have a few mates I play online with, all old boys like myself (or older actually) and they are wanting to upgrade, but can't find them in stock anywhere... have just passed on the direct HP number to one of them and they will phone tomorrow to see if they can work one in to their possession.... only check the OC forum every few weeks, hope they haven't missed out!

Last edited:
Associate
Had a quick play. Very first impressions are that it's far less comfortable than the Rift S with glasses, and I miss the clickwheel adjustment for the headband. The speakers are far better than the Rift S - in a completely different league.

The vibrancy and clarity of the centre of the image is astounding, and makes the Rift look like a toy in comparison. Maybe it's because the centre is so sharp that the fall off is more noticeable, but I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to get on with the small sweetspot. It's real, and it's immersion breaking right now, at least until I get used to it - the Rift may be lower resolution, but at least it's sharp across most of the usable picture. Anything that you're not pointing your head at gets blurry very quickly.

I'm tempted to try some prescription inserts to deal with the glasses issue, and keep my fingers crossed that I get used to the sweetspot. I really want to like this, because the image quality is game changing.

Associate
I'm tempted to try some prescription inserts to deal with the glasses issue, and keep my fingers crossed that I get used to the sweetspot. I really want to like this, because the image quality is game changing.
I tried with my reading glasses and it made it worse.

try removing the face gasket and holding it a little closer (this won't work if you are short sighted and need to wear long distance glasses of course). It made the sweetspot much bigger for me...

One other thing to try.... if you are wering the headset like your wore the Rift (as I did at first - quite high on my head) wear the G2 headset lower down (the rear of the lower band in the nape of your neck and extend the top strap a lot to acheive this) and adjust the tilt to get the best view.... this made a huge difference to me.

Associate
I tried with my reading glasses and it made it worse.

try removing the face gasket and holding it a little closer (this won't work if you are short sighted and need to wear long distance glasses of course). It made the sweetspot much bigger for me...

One other thing to try.... if you are wering the headset like your wore the Rift (as I did at first - quite high on my head) wear the G2 headset lower down (the rear of the lower band in the nape of your neck and extend the top strap a lot to acheive this) and adjust the tilt to get the best view.... this made a huge difference to me.
Cheers for the tips, I'll have a play tomorrow.

Associate
You need distance glasses for VR, not reading glasses. The focal distance is fixed at 1.5 - 2m depending on the headset.
Yeah, I know that, my old 'readers' are a focal range of .75-1M... I should have said that. I'm not sure that the G2 is within the range you specified, probably between 1M and 1.5M... can't seem to find the specs as a fact... loads of speculative posts around though.... but it much shorter FD than the others I have tried.

Associate
Had a quick play. Very first impressions are that it's far less comfortable than the Rift S with glasses, and I miss the clickwheel adjustment for the headband. The speakers are far better than the Rift S - in a completely different league.

The vibrancy and clarity of the centre of the image is astounding, and makes the Rift look like a toy in comparison. Maybe it's because the centre is so sharp that the fall off is more noticeable, but I'm really not sure I'm going to be able to get on with the small sweetspot. It's real, and it's immersion breaking right now, at least until I get used to it - the Rift may be lower resolution, but at least it's sharp across most of the usable picture. Anything that you're not pointing your head at gets blurry very quickly.

Having also received my G2 today and ditched the family for the evening to play with my new toy instead, I thought I would pop on here to give my findings, but what you have stated is exactly my experience so far also. Maybe I just need a few days to get used to it, but I find the Rift S more comfortable and easy to adjust, and although the text is blurrier with the Rift it is generally more readable across the whole area I can see, unlike the G2 which is sharper directly in the middle where I am looking, but out of focus everywhere else.

Not going to give up yet, but so far I am feeling pretty underwhelmed (having waited 4 months) and am struggling to see why I just spent £650 for a (so far) marginal upgrade over my Rift S.

Time will tell....

Associate
Having also received my G2 today and ditched the family for the evening to play with my new toy instead, I thought I would pop on here to give my findings, but what you have stated is exactly my experience so far also. Maybe I just need a few days to get used to it, but I find the Rift S more comfortable and easy to adjust, and although the text is blurrier with the Rift it is generally more readable across the whole area I can see, unlike the G2 which is sharper directly in the middle where I am looking, but out of focus everywhere else.

Not going to give up yet, but so far I am feeling pretty underwhelmed (having waited 4 months) and am struggling to see why I just spent £650 for a (so far) marginal upgrade over my Rift S.

Time will tell....

I was new to vr and was disappointed with the 'sweet spot' too. However, I genuinely seem to notice it less and less the more I use it.
Have a q2 coming tomorrow for living room wireless vr. Will see what the difference is as it's meant to be a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom