• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Associate
Sellers don't have to offer PayPal though going forward. Items can be credit/debit card only, with payment being processed by eBay.

Does ebay credit debit card protect against charge backs? Paypal has seller protection against that.

If eBay does not protect against charge back then all the buyer has to do is to run a charge back in 2 months and you are pretty much left holding the stick.

Caporegime
Paypal will side with them too. I had it once with a RAM kit I sold on Ebay. All went fine (or so I thought) and about three months had gone by, only for Paypal to suddenly email me saying that the buyer had claimed the purchase with unauthorised and so they'd taken the money back (and put my account into the red in the process). Didn't matter how ridiculous the claim was and that I could prove the item was delivered to the address on the buyer's account (since I'd kept the proof of postage) - Paypal sided with them in the dispute and refunded them anyway. Without them needing to return the item, I should add.
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Associate
Does ebay credit debit card protect against charge backs? Paypal has seller protection against that.

If eBay does not protect against charge back then all the buyer has to do is to run a charge back in 2 months and you are pretty much left holding the stick.

Even if you do not use PayPal and just accepted debit and credit cards from banks for payment the buyer can still ask for a charge back. The difference here is the time available to make a claim is 90 to 120 days and the banks are a lot more easier to deal with then PayPal.

You really need to watch out for PayPal shenanigans it is like they are reverting back to the early days when they were no better than loan sharks.

Soldato
Fortunately, eBay are in the process of dumping PayPal. Many sellers have already been invited on to the new payment system, and once on it PayPal will no longer process their card payments and they no longer have to accept PayPal as a payment method.

interesting, never heard of it, is it some kind of chinese whispers thing?

Soldato

all meaningless until I see an option to start using it. But its good maybe some of us will get within a decade. :)

I think a big reason is likely the compulsory use of bank accounts, something the tax man will be in favour off. Wouldnt surprise me if this is getting fast tracked to commercial sellers first.

Image, couldnt paste text here for some reason.

8u9ofNT.png

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm on managed payments, moved over a week or so back.

It's been a bit of a nightmare when things go wrong though!

Sold an item, the buyer then cancels 5 minutes later, couldn't accept the cancellation as it said I had no payment options to pay him out, yet my bank account detail was registered on there and the payout was pending from the buyer. 2 days passed, the funds were paid into my bank account, yet still couldn't accept the cancellation, it kept asking for a payment option, spoke to Ebay support numerous times over the next few days, being passed from department to department, none of them really knew the new system that well. Kept telling me to just leave it until the system automatically refunded. That date passed, still nothing. I then had to add a credit card to my account as well to allow me to accept the cancellation/refund the buyer. Did that, then my bank decided to block the transaction thinking it was fraud :D, had to ring the bank up, tell them it was legit. Tried it again, finally went through, then in the new Seller hub it says it's taking the funds from my bank account and not the credit card LOL! That was friday just gone, the money is still sitting in my current account as we speak.....what a palava!

Associate
I just think its a shame The Chez obviously bought multiple gpus to give him a good chance of getting at least one (but hopefully multiple cards) then profiteering off the dire state of situation with any surplus he got to shaft the rest of us who cant get one/refuse to be victim to the scalping. Maybe if the buyer claws the money back itll teach him and others a lesson for trying it on haha :)

Associate
I just think its a shame The Chez obviously bought multiple gpus to give him a good chance of getting at least one (but hopefully multiple cards) then profiteering off the dire state of situation with any surplus he got to shaft the rest of us who cant get one/refuse to be victim to the scalping. Maybe if the buyer claws the money back itll teach him and others a lesson for trying it on haha :)

The more I think about it, the more I think people selling cards on the Bay are hoping the bubble doesn't burst in the next 5 or 6 months. Because if it does, expect a fair few of those miners to do anything to cut their losses.

Soldato
I'm on managed payments, moved over a week or so back.

It's been a bit of a nightmare when things go wrong though!

Sold an item, the buyer then cancels 5 minutes later, couldn't accept the cancellation as it said I had no payment options to pay him out, yet my bank account detail was registered on there and the payout was pending from the buyer. 2 days passed, the funds were paid into my bank account, yet still couldn't accept the cancellation, it kept asking for a payment option, spoke to Ebay support numerous times over the next few days, being passed from department to department, none of them really knew the new system that well. Kept telling me to just leave it until the system automatically refunded. That date passed, still nothing. I then had to add a credit card to my account as well to allow me to accept the cancellation/refund the buyer. Did that, then my bank decided to block the transaction thinking it was fraud :D, had to ring the bank up, tell them it was legit. Tried it again, finally went through, then in the new Seller hub it says it's taking the funds from my bank account and not the credit card LOL! That was friday just gone, the money is still sitting in my current account as we speak.....what a palava!

In 2021 a payment system that takes "days" is a bit of a wtf. Are we going to a online cheque system?

Permabanned

I only bought two GPUs with the intention of getting a free upgrade by selling one of them. Don't be so dramatic, if I was able to buy two cards, anyone can. If you want something you have to work for it, this is the new market. Adapt to it.

Thank you for wishing me all the "best" however, without actually knowing the full story.

Soldato
Be aware, that all counts for nothing, the buyer has 6 months to log a dispute, even if there's nothing wrong with it they can say it's faulty and PayPal/eBay will side with them 100% of the time and you will even have to pay for the return shipping, they can then re-buy somewhere cheaper.

I no longer sell on eBay for exactly this reason. I've even had a card come back to me with different serial and eBay wouldn't accept the photos as proof of anything, police didn't even want to know, was told I would have to sue the person via small claims.
That's why small claims court exists. People have taken paypal there over such matters and won easily.

Soldato
That's why small claims court exists. People have taken paypal there over such matters and won easily.

its easier just to not sell on ebay and do cash on collection instead, I've almost always ended up with more money in my pocket doing it this way and zero chance of someone scamming me

Last edited:
Associate
I only bought two GPUs with the intention of getting a free upgrade by selling one of them. Don't be so dramatic, if I was able to buy two cards, anyone can. If you want something you have to work for it, this is the new market. Adapt to it.

Thank you for wishing me all the "best" however, without actually knowing the full story.

(If you want something you have to work for it) surely it`s always been that way or am i missing something. :)

Back
Top Bottom