Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Looks good, is that Retributor armour for the gold?

Quite a haul there, im hovering over the buy button for a venerable dreadnought (those but really want to finish my Death Company before I buy anymore.... and the Baal predator.... and the primaris lieutenant, heh.
Yeah. Started to use the gloss Flesh shade and it's 100% better than the normal one. Armour still shiny after using it instead of looking gritty.

Associate
Checked out Games Workshop due to locked down boredom as I used to love Warhammer Fantasy Battles when I was a teenager! Decided to treat myself to some AoS models ... my painting was never that good and had definitely got worse but these are a few pictures of my first efforts!

LkXQQu1Qbgbq44S26

Commissario
I've gone full GW :eek:

Decided to have a crack at Astreia Solbright. Really pleased how this turned out. Still got some final highlights to do in a few places.

Ready to move on to Realm Lords or Spacewolves can't make my mind up yet. Probably end up buying some else while trying to decide:p

You never want to go full warhammer! ;)
That's a nice selection, and I'm liking the look of your guy :)

Checked out Games Workshop due to locked down boredom as I used to love Warhammer Fantasy Battles when I was a teenager! Decided to treat myself to some AoS models ... my painting was never that good and had definitely got worse but these are a few pictures of my first efforts!

LkXQQu1Qbgbq44S26

That's pretty good for the first model in years (decades?;)) it's probably better than I can manage at the moment after a break of less than a year :(

I'm hoping to get back to doing some actual painting in a few weeks, as over the winter I've not managed anything other than some model assembly, although I did pick up a paint shaker to try and rescue some of my paints, and we picked up an Elegoo Saturn the other day for use in making scenery etc for Titanicus (we've got the tools and equipment for larger stuff, but not making fine details easily and being able to reproduce them).

Permabanned
Hey Chaps,

Anyone here currently furloughed or WFH and up for some commission work on some 3D printed fantasy models I've got (28-32mm scale stuff)? Need some for some photography props to go along with my D&D business (I sell dice!) and I just don't have the time to paint stuff up myself.

Commissario
Err this is probably wasted on me but ahh well.

You're probably going to love that, I've got several of the H&S brushes and I love them because even at my skill level and use they save so much time and give a really nice look for the models.

If you ever have to do a horde army, large vehicles or scenery they can save massive amounts of time, whilst as you get better you can do more detailed and intricate work.
I quite like Vallejo air colours, and if you're doing scenery they do 200ml bottles of airbrushable undercoat that can very quickly and cheaply (about £10-15 a bottle) let you basecoat scenery or tanks so you only really need to highlight/wash and varnish them.

If you've not got it already, pick up some of the vallejo airbrush cleaner and thinners (the clear thinner) as the cleaner works really well for acrylic paints, whilst the thinner is far better than water for most acrylic paints as it doesn't reduce the adhesion.
If you are using GW paints you'll probably need to experiment a bit with the thinner to get a nice thickness of paint that works well for you, and if doing a lot it's worth getting some large dropper bottles and decanting the paint into them along with the thinner so it's ready to go.

Soldato
Ooof, that looks well fancy, Id like to give airbrushing a go but I lack the space and worry I couldnt be bothered to set it up/clean it etc, was it pricey?
eehh Let me just start off with, I never meant spend what I did. (Honest) I was looking at budget Air compressors the 190 models and a mid range Airbrush. That was coming in around £200ish. I some how blew right past that and ended up at £400ish :o. roughly 200 for each item. The other half is looking to use the compressor herself sooooo I just used that as the excuse.

Space wise its actually very compact. It took me by surprise.

You're probably going to love that, I've got several of the H&S brushes and I love them because even at my skill level and use they save so much time and give a really nice look for the models.

If you ever have to do a horde army, large vehicles or scenery they can save massive amounts of time, whilst as you get better you can do more detailed and intricate work.
I quite like Vallejo air colours, and if you're doing scenery they do 200ml bottles of airbrushable undercoat that can very quickly and cheaply (about £10-15 a bottle) let you basecoat scenery or tanks so you only really need to highlight/wash and varnish them.

If you've not got it already, pick up some of the vallejo airbrush cleaner and thinners (the clear thinner) as the cleaner works really well for acrylic paints, whilst the thinner is far better than water for most acrylic paints as it doesn't reduce the adhesion.
If you are using GW paints you'll probably need to experiment a bit with the thinner to get a nice thickness of paint that works well for you, and if doing a lot it's worth getting some large dropper bottles and decanting the paint into them along with the thinner so it's ready to go.
I wanted to play around with this today but I forgot to get cleaner :/ I have everything else even the spry pot to clean it out.

There's plenty of homebrews guides but I'm afraid to put them near the airbrush!!!

Commissario
You can probably get away with water if you flush it through thoroughly and use some cotton buds/kitchen roll for a few goes, the cleaner mainly makes it much easier and helps clear blockages.
You might also want to get some liquid reamer if you're having to place an order as it's handy as a step up from the standard cleaner if it gets really blocked or there is dried on stuff.

Soldato
Cheers for the help. Had a little go priming a Stormcast with Vallejo Ghost Grey primmer.

First attempt was a disaster. Had it watered down that much it was running off the model. All I had to do was dip the figure into the water pot to strip all the paint :p

Second attempt was really smooth undercoat. Tried a second coat but it was a touch to thin. Had to soak up a few blobs with a brush. Seems the Vallejo primers don't need thinned.

Time to pick up some supplies!!

Caporegime
Cheers for the help. Had a little go priming a Stormcast with Vallejo Ghost Grey primmer.

First attempt was a disaster. Had it watered down that much it was running off the model. All I had to do was dip the figure into the water pot to strip all the paint :p

Second attempt was really smooth undercoat. Tried a second coat but it was a touch to thin. Had to soak up a few blobs with a brush. Seems the Vallejo primers don't need thinned.

Time to pick up some supplies!!

Vallejo primers don't need thinned. :D

I'm not a fan of them personally although don't know if I got a duff batch. Found them not to adhere too well. And the grey is bloody white, no matter what they claim!

Commissario
Aye the primers don't need to be thinned:)

Just shake them really well and get used to how they handle, it's worth keeping a notebook by the airbrush area so you can keep a record of the settings and mixes you use for different paints as it's not always the same across the range (a red GW paint may need a different ratio of thinner compared to a blue on, or even two different shades of red), so a record of things like the pressure, paint type/colour and ratio of paint to thinner is handy when you need to make some more up.

Personally I tend to use them for scenery rather than miniatures as they don't have quite the same grip as a canned undercoat which often has an etching agent in it to help it key to the plastic.

Soldato
I've got such a hard on right now for starting miniatures again. I began reading the Horus Heresy last year which I suspect is what planted the seeds.

Only question is what to pick. Probably Marines. I really want to do Legion of the Damned but the models are so hard to find now.

Caporegime
I've got such a hard on right now for starting miniatures again. I began reading the Horus Heresy last year which I suspect is what planted the seeds.

Only question is what to pick. Probably Marines. I really want to do Legion of the Damned but the models are so hard to find now.

The problem is that most of the cool sub chapters (like them) tend not to get decent support. Heck, even main armies at the minute have been neglected for years. Eldar and guard for example have some utterly ancient models. Literally old enough to drink.

Soldato
Yeah I'm fine with paying the price for Forgeworld stuff since I'm not fielding them in a game (and thus can spend years collecting) but even Forgeworld tend to stop certain lines rather quickly before moving on.

I guess I just have to watch ebay

Soldato
Hah feel like such a noob. Certainly have a little bit of fear with regards to the airbrush but I have started to build the intercessors so plenty of models to practice on.

Do it I literally have no artistic skills at all and enjoying the frig out of it. It's an awesome hobby with amazing lore. It's also like multiple hobby's all rolled into one.
There's some amazing models came out recently.

Soldato
The new Slaanesh models are are jaw dropping. I'm going to have to cut of my credit card

My first attempt with the airbrush. Think she look pretty decent when I pin shade it to add a little more contrast. Started off with a base of MSG then fang then rus then a mixture of rus&fen. It might have more depth if I had a black undercoat instead of the MSG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom