Best Mouse DPI ?

Associate
What DPI do you guys use for gaming ? Im using 3200 currently for CS GO and Destiny 2

My mouse does support upto 12000 which im guessing would be way too sensitive

Soldato
There's definitely a balance between too sluggish/inaccurate and too twitchy.

Adjustable dpi is useful for FPS games for personal preference, but also it's handy to adjust on the fly for running around with a machine gun V's scoped up with a sniper rifle.

So a physical up/down dpi button likeoon the logitech mx518 on the mouse is the way to go IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
What DPI do you guys use for gaming ? Im using 3200 currently for CS GO and Destiny 2

i don't know what mouse you have but most modern sensors add additional smoothing over 2100 dpi. So maybe give 1600 a shot instead. I used to use 400dpi and a low sens but switched recently to 800dpi and halved my sens so the in game angular rotations were finer. not for any benefit to accuracy just because with free sync it's easier to spot how much smoother the panning is.

Associate
I use the g502 from logitech which supposedly does 12000 but you have to use logitechs app to enable the big dpi, i think max without the app it does 6400.

I use a profile that maxes at 6400 and use the setting below that probably 3600 and some times 2400. The mouse has a nice side button for the thumb which is set to 1200 so for a quick zoom you can hold that, snipe and then off you go back to the original dpi you had set.

If you want you can customemize the profiles and make it lower etc. I love this mouse to the point I have 3, one for work its brilliant for coding.

Forgot to mention 12000dpi is too fast for my gaming needs. I use a 1200p monitor at home and even 3600 feels too fast.

Associate
Forgot to mention 12000dpi is too fast for my gaming needs. I use a 1200p monitor at home and even 3600 feels too fast.
I thought my 1600 dpi was high....

Talk about dpi is not useful on FPS, it's DPI combined with In game sensitivity. On Overwatch I have 1600dpi and an in game sensitivity of 3 which gives me an eDPI of 4800 and a 360 turning circle of 29cm.

Associate
I thought my 1600 dpi was high....

Talk about dpi is not useful on FPS, it's DPI combined with In game sensitivity. On Overwatch I have 1600dpi and an in game sensitivity of 3 which gives me an eDPI of 4800 and a 360 turning circle of 29cm.
That is correct higher dpi is overkill.

To be honest i had to adapt to the higher dpi amount, I used to have a razer copperhead and the original razer death adder and i never used the top dpi option back then, but now i am used to the 3600, possibly because at work i have 2x24inch 1080p monitors and i have to scroll from one screen to the other fast.

At home with 1 screen i might drop to 2400, in fact in my previous pc i had it locked to 2400 for WOW and Dota 1 because it was stupidly sensitive. Still haven't played anything on the new pc as just built and tweeking it and looking to get a new screen finally after 12 years. Sucks that i am not using all the goodies the mouse can provide though but 12000 or even 6400 is too fast for my gaming needs.

I don't understand why they constantly increase the dpi though on mice, its not as if we do 3x8k monitor setups yet. I would prefer they improved the quality on the product. Both my razer mice died relatively fast, the copperhead wouldnt register the click and the death adder had holes everywhere, although still works it looks bad. I am with the logitech since it got released and using it everyday at work so a lot of clicks and scrolling etc and still works fine.

To the OP, which mouse do you use?

Soldato
For gaming, 800, 1200... More than that wont matter really. For high resolution desktop, maybe something higher might make sense. I'm 800, eDPI 3,200, that's about.... 45 cm mouse movement / 360 degree? That's usually how you measure mouse sensitivity in-game, for like FPS and 3rd person. Actual mouse DPI is mostly irrelevant.

EDIT : EDPI is useful to compare relative mouse sensitivity in the SAME game. Because games have different idea of what their sensitivity slider means, cm/360 or inch/360 is more useful in absolute terms, comparing dpi between DIFFERENT games.

Also, when measuring absolute sensitivity on your desk, make sure you have no acceleration, even if you use mouse accel in games. Otherwise, the measurement will be skewed. Mice nowadays are accurate enough, or should be accurate enough that a doing 360 turn at any reasonable speed would measure the same on the pad.

If you want to see what the pros are using, there are plenty of charts around. It's fun to see, but usually, in Overwatch anyway, it's between 2500, to 5000 EDPI, or roughly 30cm to 60 cm on a pad for a 360 turn. Low sens players sometimes use button (like a sniper button, but reversed) to increase the sensitivity momentarily, for doing 360s or whatever. Some pros actually use extreme sensitivity (low or high), but they are few and far between.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've been having a nightmare setting up the DPI on the brothers 980 GTX/i7 system, 60HZ(VSYNC OFF), feels really floaty in all first person shooters, like playing on a rubber band! Thankfully today it's been a bit better with a DPI of 1700/1800! ( Wireless Asus Keris mouse : 16,000 dpi : 1000HZ ). On my RTX 2070 super,I7, 144hz + GSYNC + VSYNC system, it feels perfect in Warzone.

Associate
I've been using an MX518 for I don't know how long and I've also always used 800 dpi and an in game sensitivity of 0.375 on any Call of Duty that I've played over the years.

Caporegime
I've been using an MX518 for I don't know how long and I've also always used 800 dpi and an in game sensitivity of 0.375 on any Call of Duty that I've played over the years.

Same mouse as me prior to this one :D, however I could never use a DPI that low ^

Soldato

Those games are all about muscle memory. Pick a DPI, that doesn't get artificially smoothed or accelerated, that's comfortable for you and stick with it. Don't keep chopping and changing. You might want to pick a second lower DPI setting if you use snipers a lot.

Soldato
Depends what feels best.
I still find some games require me to bump the DPI up, while others I'll have to drop it.

In general PC usage I find about 4,000 the most comfortable these days, though I have noticed I have been bumping up from my initial 2,800 over the years.

Associate
It doesn't really matter what your windows DPI is, pick whatever is comfortable. You can just adjust your sens in game and use the cm/360 measurement for consistency between games, if that's something you need.

Back
Top Bottom