Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Caporegime
Tempting. Refurbished high end office chairs look decent value. Hard to choose one though as know little about them.
Giroflex are really well regarded in Europe and the 64 is their best-selling model. I really recommend trying one and if worst comes to worst you can always resell it. . :)

Here's the design story video (English subtitles), the guy is passionate about this chair... he almost tears up at the end of the video. :D

Soldato
I'm in the market for a new office chair, having got rid of my Herman Miller Mirra 2 some time ago because it was not at all comfortable. Having paid full whack for a premium office chair once, I'm reluctant to do so again and would far rather pay a second hand price.

Then I remember my time working in a call centre many years ago. Every single chair had a dark brown patch in the middle of the seat which was menstrual blood from all the women working there. Even a second hand seat with new fabric might well have something like that soaked into the sponge. And then there's the months/years of flatulence and someone else's poo particles being blown into the sponge as well. I think I'd rather have new...

Soldato
Bought a refurbished steelcase leap v1 from corporate spec. Been using it for over 2 weeks now and really not impressed. I’ve made all types of adjustments I can find and think of and it’s still giving me lower back pain.
Quick search on Reddit shows this appears to be an issue other people have suffered from.

Associate
To add my single opinion to this:

The leather Noble Hero is an excellent office chair, very well priced for a real high grade sheet leather chair - I'm not talking cheapo DFS "leather" sofas using composite scraps that rub away within 2 years - this is the real deal, high grade, thick sheets of real leather. For £570, I could not find a better real sheet leather "real" office chair with the Hero's function, I looked a long time as well.

Plenty of crappy scrap and comopsite "leather" office chairs around though. Usually the leather coating rubs away within a few years leaving a mesh bottom layer.

Been working on mine full time pre and post c19, almost 2 years old now; it's been absolutely great and looks brand new using the leather cleaning kit.

I consider it great value for money for such good quality leather and great chair functions.

Chairs are as much individual opinion and personal comfort needs, I thought the Logitech new £1500 looked good, but Jz2cents didn't like it, and after hearing his opinion, I don't think I would either as it lacks a headrest.

I personally highly recommend the real leather Hero's as being very good office chairs at a decent price as well.

Caporegime
To add my single opinion to this:

The leather Noble Hero is an excellent office chair, very well priced for a real high grade sheet leather chair - I'm not talking cheapo DFS "leather" sofas using composite scraps that rub away within 2 years - this is the real deal, high grade, thick sheets of real leather. For £570, I could not find a better real sheet leather "real" office chair with the Hero's function, I looked a long time as well.

Plenty of crappy scrap and comopsite "leather" office chairs around though. Usually the leather coating rubs away within a few years leaving a mesh bottom layer.

Been working on mine full time pre and post c19, almost 2 years old now; it's been absolutely great and looks brand new using the leather cleaning kit.

I consider it great value for money for such good quality leather and great chair functions.

Chairs are as much individual opinion and personal comfort needs, I thought the Logitech new £1500 looked good, but Jz2cents didn't like it, and after hearing his opinion, I don't think I would either as it lacks a headrest.

I personally highly recommend the real leather Hero's as being very good office chairs at a decent price as well.
The Noble Hero is not an 'office chair'... it's a gaming chair that you can of course put in an office. That's not a matter of opinion, it's fact.

Gaming chairs are generally also nowhere near as ergonomically designed as office chairs. That's also a fact.

Underboss
The Noble Hero is not an ergonomic 'office chair'... it's a gaming chair. That's not a matter of opinion, it's fact.

It's not a 'gaming chair' though...it's a 'premium gaming chair'

G0jl2AP.jpg

Means they can double the price over other 'gaming chairs' with their high grade, thick leather.

:D

Don
Gaming chairs are generally also nowhere near as ergonomically designed as office chairs. That's also a fact.

All the ergonomics in the world don't necessarily help as proved in this thread.
Not everyone will get on with a gaming chair like a noblechair, but equally Herman Millers or steelcase chairs are not a guarantee of comfort.
Everyone is different, so ideally try before you buy.

Associate
The Hero also has EU ergonomic office use accreditation unlike most of the other gaming chairs out there.

I use it as an office chair primarily and it's been absolutely great.

I'd love to see these £250 real high grade leather office chairs, I'm seeing absolute dross at that range using leather coating, not real leather with very few ergonomic functions.

Caporegime
All the ergonomics in the world don't necessarily help as proved in this thread.
Not everyone will get on with a gaming chair like a noblechair, but equally Herman Millers or steelcase chairs are not a guarantee of comfort.
Everyone is different, so ideally try before you buy.
A more accurate statement would be "Ergonomically designed chairs are always better than non-ergonomically designed chairs but not every chair is suitable for everyone.

The vast majority of gaming chairs are utter **** when compared to finding an ergonomic and fully adjustable office chair that suits you.

The Hero also has EU ergonomic office use accreditation unlike most of the other gaming chairs out there.

I use it as an office chair primarily and it's been absolutely great.

I'd love to see these £250 real high grade leather office chairs, I'm seeing absolute dross at that range using leather coating, not real leather with very few ergonomic functions.
Most good ergonomic office chairs are not made from leather as default for reasons other than just cost... it is not a breathable fabric and gets hot, sweaty and sticky when the ambient temperatures rise.

Associate
A more accurate statement would be "Ergonomically designed chairs are always better than non-ergonomically designed chairs but not every chair is suitable for everyone.

The vast majority of gaming chairs are utter **** when compared to finding an ergonomic and fully adjustable office chair that suits you.

Most good ergonomic office chairs are not made from leather as default for reasons other than just cost... it is not a breathable fabric and gets hot, sweaty and sticky when the ambient temperatures rise.

Rich, calm down dog, I'm not trying to claim gaming chairs are better at all, I agree most gaming chairs are very bad for ergonomics. I tried a true "gaming" chair first with side banding on the seat before my Hero and it was immensely uncomfortable, I had to return it so I totally agree on that.

I spent ages looking for £500 range leather office chairs and the Hero appeared in a lot of non gaming sources as well recommend an office chair. For a larger user they are very nice chairs. Many real leather office chairs at that price have static arms, and lack functions, certainly not with in-built lumber. I would really love to see an office £500 alternative in real leather with many ergonomic functions. Many at that that price are plush and lacking headrests, not what I was looking for.

But the Hero is a good chair, real leather is actually cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter, but you can't have bare skin against it, however it will outlast virtually every other chair material if looked after. It continues to be a very popular material for executive chairs for that reason.

Don't worry about my positive opinion on a chair, the point is people should try chairs first, and not all chairs fit all. Get back to utopia.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

God knows how then, I hated mine as it gave me shoulder and back pain which I never had using a Ikea Markus. So I ended up selling it after a while.

I've moved to a HM Embody and I am really happy with it now.

Soldato
I had an IKEA Markus, hated it and returned it. I didn’t like the way the head rest felt like it pushed my head forward instead of letting me lean back into it. The non adjustable arms were also bad.

Caporegime
Rich, calm down dog,

Get back to utopia.
U mad bro? :D

I'm happy you like the chair, but it's still a gaming chair, just one that has enough adjustments to be able to get through the testing to be accredited for office use. While it will undoubtedly be uch better than a regular gamig chair, it will still be a far cry from the best office chairs in terms of ergonomics and adjustability.

Associate
U mad bro? :D

I'm happy you like the chair, but it's still a gaming chair, just one that has enough adjustments to be able to get through the testing to be accredited for office use. While it will undoubtedly be uch better than a regular gamig chair, it will still be a far cry from the best office chairs in terms of ergonomics and adjustability.

I'm fine with friendly disagreements, I was just just playing with your username and location.

For the money it's a good chair, but I agree a fully kitted out £2K designer office chair with headrest of course is better, I'm not disputing that. There's also a lot of sub £1K office chair that aren't ergonomically good either. For the price Heros are decent chairs for office use.

God knows how then, I hated mine as it gave me shoulder and back pain which I never had using a Ikea Markus. So I ended up selling it after a while.

I've moved to a HM Embody and I am really happy with it now.

Different posture, smaller user? Didn't wear in enough? Not all chairs good for all users, just had a post saying they hated the Markus which you liked. The Embody looks good and very well engineered, but too small for me with no headrest.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Different posture, smaller user? Didn't wear in enough? Not all chairs good for all users, just had a post saying they hated the Markus which you liked. The Embody looks good and very well engineered, but too small for me with no headrest.

I found the Icon pushed my shoulders forward as I have fairly broad shoulders but where as with the embody it feels like its opening up my chest. I also found the Icon used a foam which was far too hard for the base. I used it on and off for about a year as I just couldn't get on with it. The Embody is night and day a better chair yes it costs a lot more but for the price of a Icon you can get a 2nd hand HM or a Orangebox as mentioned in this thread. I do agree that different chairs support different people.

The fact the Icon is based off a Porsche 4 way adjustable seat says all as here is the orignal: https://shop.porsche.com/gb/en/Home-&-Lifestyle/Masterpieces/Office-chair-RS/p/WAP0500090G-B

Associate
I found the Icon pushed my shoulders forward as I have fairly broad shoulders but where as with the embody it feels like its opening up my chest. I also found the Icon used a foam which was far too hard for the base. I used it on and off for about a year as I just couldn't get on with it. The Embody is night and day a better chair yes it costs a lot more but for the price of a Icon you can get a 2nd hand HM or a Orangebox as mentioned in this thread. I do agree that different chairs support different people.

The fact the Icon is based off a Porsche 4 way adjustable seat says all as here is the orignal: https://shop.porsche.com/gb/en/Home-&-Lifestyle/Masterpieces/Office-chair-RS/p/WAP0500090G-B

You had an Icon? I can't comment on that as I have a Hero, quite a bit different, it does look small in the shoulders, and a reason I chose a Hero over it.

Totally understandable that the Embody is much better, but you quoted me on the basis of me having a Hero, not an Icon, there's much broader shoulders on a Hero and lumbar support.

Either way, no worries and good that the chair is right for you.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
You had an Icon? I can't comment on that as I have a Hero, quite a bit different, it does look small in the shoulders, and a reason I chose a Hero over it.

Totally understandable that the Embody is much better, but you quoted me on the basis of me having a Hero, not an Icon, there's much broader shoulders on a Hero and lumbar support.

Either way, no worries and good that the chair is right for you.

Yes Sir, I had a Icon.

It was more around the ergonomics angle rather than the Epic model specifically. As I use the chair for long periods of time due to the nature of my job, so I need something that looks after your posture / back correctly.

I had to see a physiotherapist for a little while to correct my posture and one of the first things his asked what was my chair and how my posture was in it, so I had to get someone to take several pictures from different angles and this chap looks after of high-level sports people and people who complete in the Olympics and he suggested the icon chair really was not particularly good for your posture. Ever seen then I am very mindful of these things.

Soldato
I'm weighing up an HM Aeron vs HM Embody at the moment.

Gaming chairs are a false economy. The amount of reports on here about how uncomfy one of the expensive branded gaming chairs are is pretty staggering tbh.

Have a look at the Mirra as well, it's not unlike the Aeron but has the option of an adjustable seat length for less money. Mine is nearly 10 yo now, using it for home office and gaming.

Underboss

Cheers Haz I do like the look of the Mirra 2, sadly the embody might be off now due to the lack of headrest, I've seen a standalone HM one for the Aeron you can buy as an extra but might need to wait until I've sat in each to see if I would miss the headset aspect.

Soldato
Cheers Haz I do like the look of the Mirra 2, sadly the embody might be off now due to the lack of headrest, I've seen a standalone HM one for the Aeron you can buy as an extra but might need to wait until I've sat in each to see if I would miss the headset aspect.
The mirra has no headrest either, and tbh it doesn't need one, it's not really a fall to sleep in kind of chair

Back
Top Bottom