Spec me a car for around 50k CHF

Associate
Strange thread request.

I'm living in Switzerland and find myself needing a car. I used to be into cars in a big way but frankly don't have the time now. However I like having the flexibility that it provides and hopefully once Corona goes away will give me opportunity to take weekend breaks etc. So buying in winter time probably best time for prices etc.

Now it's not a cheap proposition, lots of addon costs (parking v expensive insurance etc). However there is also an image problem. Personally I don't care, but other people do..... My idea of getting around this was to have something that I could consider a "hobby" car....something that would be older but would be seen as a passion. But couldn't think of anything suitable.

The temptation is just to buy a new long range Model 3 and be done with it. But I would like to give something "fun" a try before becoming totally boring.

So my criteria is this:

1) I have no appetite for huge running costs. Labour here is extremely expensive. I can afford it but I don't want my enjoyment of car sullied by large bills. Looking for medium total cost of ownership here. Budget flexible up to 100k if it ironically will cost less over a couple years...so unfortunately that knocks out Aston Martins which otherwise look quite tempting. Not getting finance so that is the upper limit of budget unless there was a very convincing reason to go for finance and something more expensive.

2) Something fun. Speed limits here are no joke and are linked to salary so get incredibly expensive. Like insanely expensive. But Germany not too far and plan on going abroad a bit. Car will be used around town a bit etc. So something with good acceleration rather than top speed makes sense.

3) Practicality is low requirement. However not sure if 2 seater doable. Think has to be 4 seater even if those 2 rear seats are essentially useless.

4) Looks the part. Even more so than the performance. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of ferrari's, lambos etc so it's not a question of competing. More just blending in....

5) The car won't be driven every day, more like weekends etc.

6) Warranty that would take away the guesswork would be beneficial. I think Porsche are only ones that offer a credible warranty? Any opinions on this?

7) Preferably convertible. I think it adds a sense of occasion...

8) Efficiency unimportant. Can't see myself doing more than 5-10k a year so who cares about fuel.

So far the answer seems to be a Porsche 911 Cabrio within a warranty period which looks to be 13 years and less than 200k km.

https://www.porsche-ozs.ch/en/used-cars/porsche-approved/porsche-approved-guarantee.html

Dropping the 4 seater requirement brings in options like the Z4 etc.

Would be interesting to hear viewpoints on different cars......

I'm sure I'll get some criticism for this thread and being a bit vague but its early day exploration at the moment so happy to hear all thoughts.

Associate
OP
How do you go from a Z4 to a 911?

Who comes on holiday with you?

Good point! There seems to be a limit on the amount of "fun" cars out there hence the disparity. I even looked at the Alfa Romeo 4C! This is early exploration so open to a wide variety! I'm not a "purist" driver, I like something that is fast, looks good and is stable.

Usually I go out individually with someone, but have been caught short before with 2-3 other people hence why I'm leaning towards 4 seaters. The shame is the choices seem to drop.

Soldato
So that's about 40k. A new-ish Elise? :)

Or better, buy an old one for way less and watch it go up in value. As as above, an old Morgan and watch it go up even quicker.

Man of Honour
You'd be better off asking on a Swiss forum as I bet hardly anyone here has any idea what you can get on the used Swiss car market for 50k CHF.

Associate
OP
This is what you can get for just under 50CHF:

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/ford-focus-limousine-2017-occasion?vehid=8377318

Seems very expensive to me and that’s before looking at 911s. I’d just get a new golf for when I needed a car and use the excellent (and I mean truly excellent) public transport for everything else ;)

Public transport is good except for when you want to go somewhere different!

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/por...05&make=62&model=450&sort=price_asc&vehtyp=10

That one is only 37k but pretty old (but still in scope for warranty).

https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/por...=62&model=450&sort=price_asc&page=4&vehtyp=10

A lot newer and less than 52k. :)

Associate
2nd Skoda Octavia and then spend the rest on hookers'n'blow?

For a more helpful suggestion, if you prefer 4 seats and acceleration then maybe a BMW M-series car would work. Lower maintenance, and given the location should be lots on the 2nd hand market. Also Merc AMG series car as well.

Left field choice might be a maserati quattroporte - not sure what the 2nd hand market in Switzerland is like, but the bit next to Italy might have a good range of them

Associate
OP
As an update, decided that life a bit busy for messing around at the moment. Just going to buy a Tesla. All much of a muchness and will keep me going until I have more time for picking something special out.

Residual value seems fine enough. And the car should be happy enough to sit unused for periods of time between trips.

Back
Top Bottom