Termal problems in the PC-011 - have a question that I have a feeling I know the answer to

Associate
I bought the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; lovely case, but recently I've found problem that it'll overheat and shut down - that was until I took the side off. Now...Out of curiosity, should I have put the rad on the inside of the case, or on the concealed side?

Associate
How many fans do you have installed? I have the PC-O11 WGX and when I installed 9 fans, my temps were very low. 3 fans at the bottom for intake, 3 fans at the top for exhaust and 3 fans on the side for exhaust. I had a AIO and put the rad on top.

Associate
Good airflow case, despite being more of a watercooling case.
Either place you mount the radiator, except bottom, as the pump/reservoir (considering you're talking about an AIO), have to stay at a lower position than the radiator.
As standard, I would always use top as exhaust, unless 2 or 3C from warm air is at the breaking point of your CPU thermally throttling. Your GPU would be much more sensible regarding air temperature than the CPU, as a 280/360 AIO is pretty much more than adequate for 99.9% of the users.

Associate
OP
I have a total of 9 - 3 on the AIO, 6 on the top and underside of the case I've mounted the rad so it's on the back side of the case (i.e the fans are on one side of the metal divider, the rad on the other side.

Good airflow case, despite being more of a watercooling case.
Either place you mount the radiator, except bottom, as the pump/reservoir (considering you're talking about an AIO), have to stay at a lower position than the radiator.
As standard, I would always use top as exhaust, unless 2 or 3C from warm air is at the breaking point of your CPU thermally throttling. Your GPU would be much more sensible regarding air temperature than the CPU, as a 280/360 AIO is pretty much more than adequate for 99.9% of the users.

i lack confidence to do a watercooling loop, but if you happen to know anyone in Plymouth willing to do the job, i'll happily pay.

Associate
Too bad I'm in Cambourne/Cambridge. Would more than happily help just for the fun of it.
From experience, CPU temps won't be much gain compared to a good AIO, unless you're reaching thermal limits.
The main gain is for GPU. Watercooled GPU would allow much, much quieter setup, and boost would normally be limited by power or chip, rather than temperature.
I'm waiting for one of alphacool's GPU AIO, as a radiator with 3 fans at 800-1000 are much more efficient and quieter than the GPU's fans at 1500-3000 rpm.
Owned a XL before the air, and using AIO at the top, as exhaust, side and bottom as intake will return the best temperatures overall.
In truth, missus threatened to thrown my PC from the window as, according to her: "it's a computer, not a Lego. Stop to taking it apart".
Tried every possible combination, no big differences, but the worst was radiator at the top as intake, botton intake and side exhaust. The worst affected was the NVME and the GPU. The only gain was 1 or 2 C for CPU, but as the CPU never goes past 60ish unless on benchmark, not crucial. Got more from the GPU keeping the temperature inside the case lower, and the radiator using slightly warmer air as, at least using that many fans, unless really badly setup, the air won't stay too long inside the case, but a 3C to 5C air reaching the GPU can be the difference between keeping a max boost longer or even a higher boost.
Few sets around reported how many MHz you lose on boost as the temperature increases.
If really going for a custom loop, 2 rads is great, 3 won't bring perceptible temperature gains, unless usinng a combination of very restrictive rads and blocks + poor performing rads + very bad fans, but would allow a lower fan speed, as with more rad area, the fans normally won't have to spin faster than 500-800rpm to achieve optimal performance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Too bad I'm in Cambourne/Cambridge. Would more than happily help just for the fun of it.
From experience, CPU temps won't be much gain compared to a good AIO, unless you're reaching thermal limits.
The main gain is for GPU. Watercooled GPU would allow much, much quieter setup, and boost would normally be limited by power or chip, rather than temperature.
I'm waiting for one of alphacool's GPU AIO, as a radiator with 3 fans at 800-1000 are much more efficient and quieter than the GPU's fans at 1500-3000 rpm.
Owned a XL before the air, and using AIO at the top, as exhaust, side and bottom as intake will return the best temperatures overall.
In truth, missus threatened to thrown my PC from the window as, according to her: "it's a computer, not a Lego. Stop to taking it apart".
Tried every possible combination, no big differences, but the worst was radiator at the top as intake, botton intake and side exhaust. The worst affected was the NVME and the GPU. The only gain was 1 or 2 C for CPU, but as the CPU never goes past 60ish unless on benchmark, not crucial. Got more from the GPU keeping the temperature inside the case lower, and the radiator using slightly warmer air as, at least using that many fans, unless really badly setup, the air won't stay too long inside the case, but a 3C to 5C air reaching the GPU can be the difference between keeping a max boost longer or even a higher boost.
Few sets around reported how many MHz you lose on boost as the temperature increases.
If really going for a custom loop, 2 rads is great, 3 won't bring perceptible temperature gains, unless usinng a combination of very restrictive rads and blocks + poor performing rads + very bad fans, but would allow a lower fan speed, as with more rad area, the fans normally won't have to spin faster than 500-800rpm to achieve optimal performance.

i mean...If you ever fancy a trip down to devon and are willing to teach a man how to build a loop for himself - I'll happily pay your fare and buy you a lunch or come to some financial arrangement?

Back
Top Bottom