Road Cycling

Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Soldato
Following my earlier posts about the 2021 Canyon Aeroad seat post issue. Hambini has posted a Roast video on exactly this issue. Worth a watch to get an understanding of the very dodgy seat post engineering.

(NSFW)

Last edited:
Soldato
Slight issue with that. I'm allergic to cashew nuts. They're in pretty much every Nakd bar :p
Doh! Well can't please everyone! ;)

To be fair the amount of nuts I eat these days I can't imagine being allergic. I will literally choose a bag of nuts over a bag of crisps these days. Go through a 500g bag of salted peanuts most weeks. It must be the salt post exercise (so probably not that healthy!). But probably better than the regular chocolate, crisps and sweets I used to eat/snack on.

Following my earlier posts about the 2021 Canyon Aeroad seat post issue. Hambini has posted a Roast video on exactly this issue. Worth a watch to get an understanding of the very dodgy seat post engineering.

(NSFW)

Brilliant roast and well deserved, but he's a bit late to the table.

Like to see these occasionally but it had obviously been a while since I last watched anything from him as the language and childish crass-ness threw me a bit. I know it gets him views and follows but I can't be in the minority that thinks he loses just as many because of it? He's genuinely a good engineer, honest about his opinions (brutally so) and great at explaining things. But the way he does it to cause reactions at times just annoys me. I'd understand it a little more if that was the only way to get reactions out of vendors & manufacturers, but it's not. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I consider myself reasonably good in the kitchen, and if I have the patience to bake I'm not bad, but I cannot for the life of me make flapjacks!

No matter what recipe I follow, they end up as a squidgy, brittle (fall apart easily) mess. I then just use them as a topping for my porridge.

Can someone post a fool proof recipe for simple flapjacks?

Soldato
He’s clearly very bright but a total idiot. I imagine YouTube personality pays better than bike engineer though.
He's not really a bike engineer though is he. Was/is an aerospace guy who's kinda branched into bike 'things' as he wanted better equipment for himself, then started producing and selling it as a sideline.

I've no idea if it's now his 'main' job, or just a hobby/sideline. I would imagine with the experience he has he could be working as a contractor/advisor of some kind whenever he wanted. Not needing to push his cycling side of things for income. So many of his products on his website are constantly sold out, I imagine if he needed the income that wouldn't be the case. He's good for advice if you email him too. I've asked about various bearings and even asked him if he was aware of other places to get headset bearings (there wasn't, he said to just use crane creek).

A clever guy, I do watch his videos, but he does go OTT at times.
Yup. Like all the posts about that journalist. Quite rightly responding to her stupidness/false info, but he really crossed the line with much of his secondary/ongoing stuff targetting her. At least in my opinion he did/still is. Bit of a waste of his time if I'm honest, I'd much rather see actual valuable cycling content from him than personal attacks and flaming bad design. Get yourself in position to provide us with some quality components Hambini, there's so much JUNK out there hidden behind marketing! Flame it, yes, but also advise us, or even produce and sell us alternatives! Improve the bike industry, heaven knows there's so much money being wasted on cycling products at the moment, ride the wave! :D

So. much. sugar.

Its really, really easy to make your own and you can cut out all the bad stuff.
Sugar is bad? :(

EDIT: Also - https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/adam-hansen-is-building-his-own-radical-time-trial-bike/

I know it's not technically Road cycling and an absolute monstrosity, but as it's Adam Hansen I found it pretty darn cool for him to be doing it all himself!

Last edited:
Soldato
Having spent all this past summer doing DIY stuff and getting fat, I've been getting the bike ready for this year and found a nice slit in the sidewall of one of my Schwalbe Ones :rolleyes:.

May as well use the opportunity to size up my tyres a bit - the ones fitted are 25c and I'd like to go up to 28c - I'm 95% sure this is plenty of clearance for a 28c tyre but thought I'd ask opinions before ordering. The tightest part is the chainstays and there is 5mm each side clearance on the current tyre.

Also any recommendations? I liked the Ones, could possibly go for a bit more puncture resistance? Country roads, 90% of riding in good weather. I'd prefer to keep it under £60 for a pair if possible?

Tempted by these even though they're 25c: https://www.merlincycles.com/vittor...yres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-pair-145147.html

There's also what looks like pretty much this year's model of it but they go straight to 30c from 25c - don't fancy my chances for clearance on 30c. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-v-g2-0-road-tyre/rp-prod205613

8tzOaPL.jpg

PXwvLwt.jpg

STKvs2N.jpg

Soldato
You’ve miles of room on the brake. The closest point will be the pivot bolt on one side, as large width tyres are also usually taller so it will grow a bit vertically too.

There looks to be a bit less space at the chainstay. It’s difficult to tell from the photo but it will depend on your frame size and how much it may flex. Wheel flex as well as how big the tyre sizes up. But you could suffer frame rub. In my experience you need more space than you think.

Id google your frame and see what others are running up to.

Soldato
Wheel flex as well as how big the tyre sizes up. But you could suffer frame rub. In my experience you need more space than you think.

I am quite the porker at the moment!

Manual says it fits most 27mm tyres.

https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/support/manuals/orca-ome-en/

I had 23mm on mine and had what looked like miles of clearance, I doubt a 28mm GP4000 would go as they size large.

A Corsa or pro one should be fine I think...

Thanks! I wasn’t able to find anything concrete on the clearance, turns out it was right there.

I shall have a look for some nice 25s then. I was going to just replace the front Schwalbe but the back one is just ever so slightly cracked, and I really do mean just so slightly degraded, which I think would be ok, but it’s got a couple of nicks in it too on the tread so I’ll get a pair of something.

GP5000 with tubes £75 a pair worth a look, especially if they come up a bit big?

Wondering if they worth the extra over the Rubino Graphenes.

Soldato
GP5000 are better than Rubino, the Corsa is the same level as GP5000.

Both are geared towards grip over puncture protection.

A Rubino pro control/Corsa control or Grand Prix 4 season would be a good balance of speed/grip/protection.

Soldato
Recently sold my car. Should have done it years ago, just a money pit really and I was barely using it especially in the last year. I'll probably get another one in some time but for the moment will stay carless. Maybe use motorbike when I need to travel further afield.

One of the key reasons I kept it around was to go visit parents with bikes and laptop etc. I've cycled there a couple of times but I find backpack for 3+ hours really awkward. I've got some bikepacking kit but nothing that would fit a laptop. I'm considering a Tailfin but they're a little on the pricey side at £500+ once you add the bags too. Any other options?

Perhaps the real solution is n+1 bike with pannier mounts but we all know what bike availability is like at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom