• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Associate
Can't find any 6800 XT at RRP as they all sell out, got one in my basket but it was £900 and stopping myself because it's not a very good model and £200 over what it should be, on the partalert discord with alerts on and that is the closest I've got to yet.

I second your post.

3070 were buyable at high prices.

The 3060tis were almost impossible to get unless you got lucky on the FE drops.

Soldato
You can buy a RTX 3070/3060 TI FE at RRP if you use a service like PartAlert on twitter, it's a pain (you might need to wait a week or two) but it's doable.

This must happen in an alternative reality, as even refreshing a site to see a card 'in stock' is almost impossible, let alone getting it into a basket and checking out.

Soldato
You don’t understand the mentality of miners: the reason people mine with GPUs is thus they have a resale value.

Typically if you bought a scalped GPU when it was released and mined you could resell it now for the same scalped value (or even more) and keep the coins.

A dedicated card has almost no resale value when it is not the most efficient for mining or when the price of the coin is dropping.

That’s also why you still have GPU mining and also why not everyone is on an Asic. A dedicated mining card would be a sub par Asic unless you can make a dedicated card superior to an Asic but it would have the same lack of resale value.

Also if the mining difficulty was not increasing, at the current rate it takes 90days to pay back most 30x0s at RRP. You can get back probably 25%-30% back of your GPU in a month and resell it for example.

Even if you primarily game, it almost make sense to recoup some of the GPU cost by mining at the moment.
This is why companies like nvidia need a way of crippling the cards mining output so that miners are forced to buy the dedicated mining cards.

Associate
This must happen in an alternative reality, as even refreshing a site to see a card 'in stock' is almost impossible, let alone getting it into a basket and checking out.
3070s was doable the last two weeks. 3060tis, he’s wrong, they are impossible to get recently unless you pay a silly price.

But the 3070s are increasingly hard to buy and are getting sold for silly prices now.

I only saw the 3070 alerts but I am only interested in a 3080.

Soldato
3070s was doable the last two weeks. 3060tis, he’s wrong, they are impossible to get recently unless you pay a silly price.

But the 3070s are increasingly hard to buy and are getting sold for silly prices now.

I only saw the 3070 alerts but I am only interested in a 3080.

Yeah, I got one in a basket once, but hadn't used the store for years so lost out on that whilst I was changing details.

Had a chance of a 3090 but thought it was a bit too expensive at £1700.... Silly me.... Maybe.

My HIS 6950 is still chugging along laughing at all of this....... Just play the older games said the 6950, you don't need all this fancy overpriced crap :D:D:D

Caporegime
3080 AiB cards at £1100 and 3070 ones at £750 (MSI cards) are just insta-selling out, they've def got more room to move the price upwards yet! At what point do they slow down though, another 20/30% on top? Wow.

Associate
Simple answer is yes, the scalping of prices and the lack of stock is beyond a joke. Better off forgetting it, and coming back end of the year.

Soldato
You can get a 3070 FE, just make sure you have your password ready - I was lucky because the order was added to the basket and it let me finish the order after logging in. I could be wrong about the 3060 TI FE, I know that some have had success though.

Associate
Why would they buy gaming cards if they couldn't mine with them?

At the end of the Day nvidia and Amd are there to make MONEY they will not do what you want them too do it would hurt there SALES so its never going to happen

Yes the situation is not great atm but there is nothing we can do we either buy at higher prices or we sit back and wait

Associate
With the current used market for 5700XT's, if I can snag a 6800XT anywhere near RRP then I'm doing it. £600-£700 for a 5700XT Nitro on Ebay! Mental.

Associate
I'm quite content with the current situation, my RTX 2080Ti will tide my over nicely for a while.

Also the 1660 Ti in my HTPC is doing just nicely, hopefully I won't need to replace them any time soon.

Last edited:
Associate
Started my 'new build' in June of 2020 and I still cannot complete it. What's worse is I agreed to build my father a new PC at the same time (his one is about 10 years old) to help him get through lockdown. I gave him the caveat that due to stock problems he may have to wait until November of 'even' Christmas. Here we are mid February and you still can barely get on a pre-order list. It's an absolute joke and I feel somewhat guilty for giving my father false hope. What's worse is he recently went through a hospital ordeal and on top of that caught COVID. There was me then hoping I could treat him to a 'recovery' present to elevate his mood. Nope. Still stuck in this joke of a situation. I really don't understand why companies like Nvidia and AMD don't just produce dedicated mining hardware to fend off those 'lovely people' so the rest of us can enjoy our hobby for which these components were originally designed for.

I have to admit, once these machines are built I don't think I will be returning to PC building for quite some time. This recent experience has been awful to the point where it doesn't feel like a fun hobby anymore, just a long slog of (expensive) frustration. I moved my focus from PC gaming to console in recent years and I will quickly be returning. Yes the consoles are experiencing stock problems too but why would I care when my Xbox One X cost a few hundred and is still a very capable machine and when I can get my Xbox Series X it will cost £450 because unlike Nvidia and AMD, Microsoft does not allow retailers to charge above MSRP. The same amount of money can't even get you a mid-range GPU these days, let alone the other components.

The above frustration vented, let me also point out that having been a PC enthusiast for the past 20+ years, when things are put into perspective, this is nothing new. There is always a 'problem' with the PC space. One minute it's mining and GPU prices. The next it's silicone shortages. The next it's PSU shortages. Then it's DRAM shortages. Each one resulting in extortionate prices that come and go in waves. Oh, and let me not forget "but the dollar is strong... we had to raise prices" (resulting in illogical and non-correlative raises).

Had enough chaps.

Back
Top Bottom