• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Associate
i mentioned this in another thread, but as of yet nobody with any power is losing money because of crypto (and lots of hardware companies are making it). that'll all change when the new consoles get cracked and their fairly decent GPUs with loads of GDDR6 are gobbled up by miners. console makers sell their hardware at a loss in order to make it back on games and services and would throw their considerable weight around if that model was compromised by miners.

Soldato
i mentioned this in another thread, but as of yet nobody with any power is losing money because of crypto (and lots of hardware companies are making it). that'll all change when the new consoles get cracked and their fairly decent GPUs with loads of GDDR6 are gobbled up by miners. console makers sell their hardware at a loss in order to make it back on games and services and would throw their considerable weight around if that model was compromised by miners.

if

There are no guarantees that this will happen, and a high chance that any vulnerability will be fixed quickly if it does. Nintendo are about the worst for security, and they built a whole Switch revision just to stop a security breach.

Associate
if

There are no guarantees that this will happen, and a high chance that any vulnerability will be fixed quickly if it does. Nintendo are about the worst for security, and they built a whole Switch revision just to stop a security breach.

Agreed. For a console's security to be cracked it compromises their entire business model. They rely on a "locked" console in order to profit from software sales. The last generation of consoles was extremely difficult to crack and even when it was, MS/Sony quick jumped on things. Don't get your hopes up on consoles being cracked as a 'way out'.

Soldato
Why would miners want to buy cards that have no resale value?

To be fair things like the P106 don't have no resale value in the current market, they just go for a bit less than a GTX 1060. Might be partly because LTT did a video on how you can hack it to make it into a GTX 1060-equivalent that you pass through your integrated GPU. :D

That said I wouldn't put any faith in the market staying like it currently is at all, second hand prices could crash back to 'normality' for so many reasons and with relatively little warning.

Associate
Started my 'new build' in June of 2020 and I still cannot complete it.

You're better off getting pre-builds at this point, system builders and scalpers are only ones with stock of new cards, of course that doesn't help you if you've already bought hardware. The good ones will source parts for you if you need to customise their systems, just check in advance that they have the cards you want before ordering, and of course expect to spend a little extra for the systems.

Of course you could also go on ebay and pay the premium prices there, but personally I wouldn't give scalpers anything, they're scum.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're better off getting pre-builds at this point

This is good advice TBH. You can get a 3060 Ti powered pre-build off OCUK for as low as £950. At the moment, you're doing well if you can get a 3060 Ti for less than £550-£600 (when in stock).

In fact, I'm fairly sure that PC could be broken down and sold for more than £950... :rolleyes::p

Associate
geting sick of it myself orderd 2 rtx 2060 from herms over 2 week ago and tracker not been updated since last tuesday and cant get in contact with herms as they are scum

Soldato
I have jumped ship from PC to next-gen consoles (never thought I would say that). Selling my 5700XT, 3900XT & RAM pretty-much covered costs for both consoles. Graphics-wise, the Series X and PS5 are a match for similarly-price PC graphics cards (5700XT's/2080's/3060's), with the console CPU, RAM & SSD thrown-in for free. Many console games can be played using keyboard & mouse, plus it's easier (and prettier) to connect them to my OLED TV. The Series X and PS5 look awesome on a big 4K OLED.

Of course, new consoles are almost as hard to find as graphics cards.

Associate
What I'd like to see happen is nvidia taking control and limiting who can sell / manufacture their cards and make OEM's sign agreements that prohibit them from bulk selling cards outside the usual retail chain, this should hopefully mean they at least make it retailers, who should also follow the same rules.

Anyone breaking the rules, or abusing them should be denied GPUs/cards.

Of course it won't happen as either way nvidia make money...

Soldato
I have jumped ship from PC to next-gen consoles (never thought I would say that). Selling my 5700XT, 3900XT & RAM pretty-much covered costs for both consoles. Graphics-wise, the Series X and PS5 are a match for similarly-price PC graphics cards (5700XT's/2080's/3060's), with the console CPU, RAM & SSD thrown-in for free. Many console games can be played using keyboard & mouse, plus it's easier (and prettier) to connect them to my OLED TV. The Series X and PS5 look awesome on a big 4K OLED.

Of course, new consoles are almost as hard to find as graphics cards.

Tempted to do the same. Could sell up and buy a Series X & LG BX OLED with the proceeds from selling my parts on eBay. As much as I like PC gaming, it isn't worth £1500 to me.

If only Creative Assembly would port Total War to Xbox or Stadia, or allow the games to be played on Geforce Now...

Caporegime
NVidia already said that they struggled to run the webstore at their own standards and this is possibly why there is no 3060FE

Makes me wonder how a multi billion dollar company that has a stiffy for its own ai can't even manage to run a friggin store right. AMD are no better in that respect either, though they have had far less stock to flog on their store. You get a drop there maybe once every month and a bit ffs.

Associate
Makes me wonder how a multi billion dollar company that has a stiffy for its own ai can't even manage to run a friggin store right. AMD are no better in that respect either, though they have had far less stock to flog on their store. You get a drop there maybe once every month and a bit ffs.
It’s because it’s not their focus. They don’t have so much expertise on it and won’t dedicate so much resources for it because it’s not their main way to make money.

If the shop is run too well, they would probably have to think about whether they will lose potential partners for example ...

Also running the shop exposes them to public criticism. They were accused of not doing enliven to stop scalpers and now miners. If you let someone else take the fall, it’s easier ...

Caporegime
If the shop is run too well, they would probably have to think about whether they will lose potential partners for example ...

Doubt they would, a lot of people seem to go for the "oc" variants of cards which is an aib option that nvidia don't offer. People generally go third party because of the better coolers, though this time around the lack of availability and gouging by stores is making the FE more in demand.

Back
Top Bottom