• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Your post makes no logical sense because your redundant statements about VRAM helping DLSS or RT performance have nothing to do with a card running out of VRAM.

Which makes your comment about RTX IO helping with VRAM in current generation games even more silly than it initially was.

The original post I replied to was tying GPU power to the amount of VRAM. Both Ampere and RDNA2 are already lacking GPU power. Adding more VRAM to Ampere wouldn't increase the GPU power.

DLSS upscales an image thus requiring less VRAM. RT Performance is a good indicator of GPU grunt. We don't know how RTX IO will help with reducing VRAM usage, but it will reduce the minimum amount of VRAM requried.

I own a 3080 and I'm not running out of VRAM.

Associate
I play at 4k, and I have ran out of GPU horsepower whilst not even hitting 7gb of vram allocation.
It depends on the game you play. I can see the HZD is using almost 10Gb and certainly it is closer to Vram limit than it is to horse power limit. If you have a browser opened in background or you play for a longer time it will go over 10Gb.
Maybe you won't notice in some games because the engine allows them to cut down the graphics based on how much memory is available but that does not mean the Vram is not a problem now. There are already games that will run better with more Vram.

Soldato
I look forward to your explanation on why in a thread about VRAM, VRAM shouldn't be the forefront topic. The stage is all yours.

I didnt say that. nice Strawman.

Chuk_Chuk said:
The reason it is at the forefront is because that is what the thread is about
Nope, you've got that backwards.

'The reason we are thinking about VRAM is because that is what the thread is about'.

^^^ That's backwards. The thread exists because people are thinking about VRAM on these cards and the potential issues. This is a happening all over the globe mate, 'bit silly to presume it all started with this thread.

So you snipped out the rest of the post that the quote was a part of therefore removing context. I'll play along.

What statement did Richdog make that you are referring to and what did you say?

Most importantly, out of all the posters on these forums why would I remember exactly what you have posted?

- No other context was required.
- [he made] exactly the statement i mentioned. Twice and both times i questioned his reasoning.
- Not my problem if you remember or not, though id suggest getting your **** together before you throw your weight around and tell other people to read thread in future.

james.miller said:
Richdog said:
g67575 said:
Kinda pointless question really, 10GB VRAM is what the RTX 3080 has, you just adjust settings as needed. If not, buy AMD or wait for next gen.
'Adjust settings as needed' on a brand-new, £700 flagship GPU because it doesn't have the VRAM to run Ultra on new game(s) that it would otherwise have enough power to run? Yeah, that sounds like a road to buyer satisfaction on a card you bought less than a month or two ago.
The 3080 already cant hit a 60fps average on a number of titles at 4k if you max everything out, and out of all of those we've seen so far, none of them have been a result of having insufficient vram, not even watchdogs. people buying a new card expecting everything to run flawlessly using ultra over-the-top settings need a reality check i think.

I think that's far too logical for threads like this. In the end what we have is a serious case of people wilfully engaging in cognitive dissonance by shoehorning GPU horsepower limitations into a thread specifically about VRAM liitations, despite no-one at any point having said that GPU horsepower was not also not an important factor. The fact that the thread is obviously working on a potential scenario that GPU horsepower is not a imitation, but VRAM is, seems to be too much of a stretch for some members intellects.

Yeah, you'd like to think that wouldnt you, but the truth of the matter is that you cant have a balanced discussion without talking about other aspects of the card, else people start getting a little silly. Trust you to try and turn that on it's head and suggest only such lofty intellects such as yourself could truly understand the thread.

Still, i see you own a 3080 now. Can't have been that much of an issue for you then.

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on the game you play.

Well, of course. The only time I'm gaming in 4k is in VR for sim racing. I can't max them out and none of them have allocated the whole buffer.The GPU lacks the grunt to max-out my sims. It has plenty of vram to run them though. Still, settings need to get turned down and I'm not mad about it. I didn't expect the 3080 to max out all of my sims in the first place. The sims look noticeably better with medium-ish settings than they did with the potato settings my 1080Ti required.

When I'm not in VR, I'm gaming on a 1080p super-wide, so not worried about vram there either.

Soldato
I play at 4k, and I have ran out of GPU horsepower whilst not even hitting 7gb of vram allocation.

good for you

I can make a 3090 run out of gpu power while using 1.5gb vram if I play a old game at 1080p with unlocked framerate but that doesn't mean much does it

Caporegime
Well, of course. The only time I'm gaming in 4k is in VR for sim racing.
So basically, your entire basis for argument in this thread about how VRAM is less of an issue than GPU horsepower is based on your playing one type of game at 4k that you need really high FPS for. The rest of the time by your own admission you play at 1080p and have no VRAM worries.

Which really begs the question why you are investing time in this thread when your use case doesn't even reflect the kind of situation where you would, you know, potentially run out of VRAM. The mind boggles... :D

Soldato
I didnt say that. nice Strawman. 'The reason we are thinking about VRAM is because that is what the thread is about'. ^^^ That's backwards. The thread exists because people are thinking about VRAM on these cards and the potential issues. This is a happening all over the globe mate, 'bit silly to presume it all started with this thread.
I assumed you were fat fingered when you partially quoted me the first time but it seems that your butchering of my post was intentional. So you could make a very specific point that would make no sense when the full context of my post is there. Nice.

Also the irony.

- No other context was required.
- [he made] exactly the statement i mentioned. Twice and both times i questioned his reasoning.
- Not my problem if you remember or not, though id suggest getting your **** together before you throw your weight around and tell other people to read thread in future..

Chopped up my post so you could tack on and discuss something I didn't address. Nice.

And this is why context matter folks..

Last edited:
Soldato
uuuh nope. to all of that:o.

Look, I was agreeing with you that nobody said vram was the only limiting factor so what's going on chuk_chuk? why so serious? and throwing strawmen around then moaning about context? That's not cricket mate. What i said wasn't complicated; evidently you just didnt like it. Boohoo, not the first time and wont be the last time i'm sure.

So basically, your entire basis for argument in this thread about how VRAM is less of an issue than GPU horsepower is based on your playing one type of game at 4k that you need really high FPS for. The rest of the time by your own admission you play at 1080p and have no VRAM worries.

Which really begs the question why you are investing time in this thread when your use case doesn't even reflect the kind of situation where you would, you know, potentially run out of VRAM. The mind boggles... :D

And you were so vocal against buying one because VRAM but then bought one anyway so...

Last edited:
Soldato
good for you

I can make a 3090 run out of gpu power while using 1.5gb vram if I play a old game at 1080p with unlocked framerate but that doesn't mean much does it

I bet it's not hard to make a texture pack that blows-out a vram buffer just because it can either.

Last edited:
Soldato

Most of the vram-phobia in this thread centers around games that have not even been created yet. The very-few games in existance that even allocate more than 10gb are held up like the four horsemen of the impending vram apocalypse.

Yet I am still waiting for GPU horsepower to catch up to the titles I have been playing for years.

The need to turn down settings is inevitable. -and it's already here.

Soldato
If the 3080 10gb really does tank in Godfall due to Vram with RT turned on as can be seen in that video then the thread needs closed. A flagship card should not run into these problems so soon after release and it's been proven that 10gb is not enough. Anyone saying otherwise is probably blinded by the card currently sitting in there machine which is likely a 10gb card.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If the 3080 10gb really does tank in Godfall due to Vram with RT turned on as can be seen in that video then the thread needs closed. A flagship card should not run into these problems so soon after release and it's been proven that 10gb is not enough. Anyone saying otherwise is probably blinded by the card currently sitting in there machine which is likely a 10gb card.

How do you even bare to keep a 8gb card in your rig? You must be missing out on playing loads of games due to a lack of vram :p

Most of the vram-phobia in this thread centers around games that have not even been created yet. The very-few games in existance that even allocate more than 10gb are held up like the four horsemen of the impending vram apocalypse.

Yet I am still waiting for GPU horsepower to catch up to the titles I have been playing for years.

The need to turn down settings is inevitable. -and it's already here.
Exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom