BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Hi chaps, I’ve got a brake fluid service and oil change service popping up on my BMW 330i (E93) so I’ve booked it into the local dealer. For the oil service the dealership is saying they need to do an Inspection I at a cost of £402 (brake fluid at £132) - is this actually necessary??

If I put my old UK reg into the BMW UK service site it says an oil change service is just £129 and brake fluid £72. I’m concerned that either they don’t know what they’re talking about or they’re taking me for a ride.

Yeh £400 is a rip off.

Just book it through the online system? It should be £129 for an oil service, £194 for an oil service w/ microfilter replacement + £72 for a brake fluid change.

Man of Honour
For the oil service the dealership is saying they need to do an Inspection I at a cost of £402 (brake fluid at £132) - is this actually necessary??

The E93 isn't in the Inspection 1 and 2 service schedule, the last 3 series that was is the E46. So something has gone wrong here.

Soldato
The E93 isn't in the Inspection 1 and 2 service schedule, the last 3 series that was is the E46. So something has gone wrong here.

Yeh £400 is a rip off.

Just book it through the online system? It should be £129 for an oil service, £194 for an oil service w/ microfilter replacement + £72 for a brake fluid change.

Would if I could but Jersey isn’t on that system unfortunately. I’ll have a chat with them when I bring it in tomorrow. Amazingly it’s only done 5k miles since the last service in Feb 2019 thanks to lockdown!

Man of Honour
My mrs has a 12 plate 118d, it went into BMW for a service and MOT last November time and they said it didn't need a service. The orange service icon has come on now, is this just a case of it actually needing a service or something else that might be wrong?

vehicle-check-v1-78666192-d8c8-4f12-80a8-3e7b7bcc25e0-2000x.jpg

Man of Honour
You can access service information using the radio display on that car, I am assuming it's a Coupe? A 12 plate hatch will have iDrive as standard but the Coupe of that year was the original 2004 model 1 Series still.

That, however, is the light that indicates the car is due the Vehicle Check service (Not the MOT). It's about £100.

Man of Honour
You can access service information using the radio display on that car, I am assuming it's a Coupe? A 12 plate hatch will have iDrive as standard but the Coupe of that year was the original 2004 model 1 Series still.

That, however, is the light that indicates the car is due the Vehicle Check service (Not the MOT). It's about £100.
Yeah it's a coupe and has a basic interior, if it does need a Vehicle Check I'm surprised why BMW didn't mention this back in November. They said it wasn't due for another year. She used to get the car serviced every year but BMW said it only needs doing every 2 years now. Or am I getting confused between vehicle check and service check?

Man of Honour
I feel like the best thing for me to do is repost what I put in that other thread this morning :D

It is whichever is sooner - so, your service is due in 10,000 miles or February 2021 if you've not covered 10,000 miles by then.

The car needs an oil service every 2 years or 15-20k miles depending on usage - whichever occurs first. Every second oil service is a major service which also has replacement plugs/air filters etc.

The Vehicle Check element occurs roughly every 37500 miles and compromises of all the check elements that used to be part of the old Inspection services. It generally but not always coincides with the bigger oil service so is often bundled together to form the most complete service the car ever has.

The $ vehicle inspection is your statutory vehicle inspection - don't know how it works in Jersey but in the UK that is the MOT.

You can click on each individual element and it'll tell you when it is due. The only way to find out whether you are due the more comprehensive oil service is to check your service history to see what sort of oil service the previous one was.

This was for an E93 with iDrive but the service schedule is the same really (though obviously no spark plugs on a 118d).

In the menu on the 2 line monochrome radio display should, if I remember correctly, be a service items thing.

I'd get the service book out and find out what has been done recently.

If your last vehicle check was 37500 miles ago or so then it's about time for another..

Soldato
Normally they just scan the key and tell you what needs doing. I was surprised as I thought my m3 was going to require a 700 quid service and it only needed a 350 quid one.

Man of Honour
Normally they just scan the key and tell you what needs doing. I was surprised as I thought my m3 was going to require a 700 quid service and it only needed a 350 quid one.

They can but all this does is read information that is already in the car and your service history - so you can work it out yourself before you go in.

Associate
Collected this 330e yesterday. First impressions are good, really shifts relative to their figures on paper, feels quicker. It's absolutely immaculate for its age, not a blemish. Some nice options too (LED headlights, pro nav, HK audio, Sport Plus pack w/ brakes). And missing some options too (Memory seats, adaptive LEDs):p

However, it threw an engine light several hours after collecting it so my Love/Hate relationship has already begun. Its booked into BMW tomorrow to get checked (BMW Extended warranty). Hopefully it's just something trivial as F30s seem to have a myriad of small things that can throw engine lights.

(Excuse the iPhone image quality)

Last edited:
Soldato
Talk to me about e89 z4s. My dad has said he is looking at them, probably the 18, 20 or 23 as he's not that fussed on power. Is there anything to watch out for and are they reasonable to run?

Associate
Talk to me about e89 z4s. My dad has said he is looking at them, probably the 18, 20 or 23 as he's not that fussed on power. Is there anything to watch out for and are they reasonable to run?

Haven't had any issues with mine apart from the injectors that needed changing. Have the 35i so probably not relevant to what you are looking at. Overall a nice car. iDrive is a little dated now, but still works as expected and much better than anything else from that era.

Back
Top Bottom