Rescuing pot bound trees.

Caporegime
Hi, I've just acquired a number of apple and pear trees that have been kept in pots that are far too small. The trees are all about 10 years old and are no more than 6ft tall so severely stunted.
I'm going to transplant them to either bigger pots or, in the case of about half a dozen plant them.
Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? Do I need to cut the roots at all to remove strangulation? Any particular soil additives?

Associate
When i have done this in the past i do the following: take out trees(from the pot), break the root ball up(with fingers not just hack at it), soak the trees in water for a few hours(to allow roots to expand further), put in a bigger pot with new soil/compost mix (i usually add manure to this also).

Associate
If you are putting them in a lot larger pots just tease out as above but if going up just a few sizes you could root prune just as they are breaking dormancy (like bonsai). This will encourage new feeder roots, however only cut back by a third, I do this with a load of Acers that I have in pots.

Soldato
If you are putting them in a lot larger pots just tease out as above but if going up just a few sizes you could root prune just as they are breaking dormancy (like bonsai). This will encourage new feeder roots, however only cut back by a third, I do this with a load of Acers that I have in pots.
Sorry to slightly derail, do you have any tips on looking after an acer?

Soldato
When i have done this in the past i do the following: take out trees(from the pot), break the root ball up(with fingers not just hack at it), soak the trees in water for a few hours(to allow roots to expand further), put in a bigger pot with new soil/compost mix (i usually add manure to this also).

This. With compost not manure though.

Associate
I just keep them moist but not wet, some need to be in semi shade, others are fine in full sun just like any other plant. If you want to keep them they are fairly tolerant of a little bit of neglect but it depends on the variety.

Associate
Fruit trees may be more sensitive so may not be suitable advice but with shrubs and topiary in pots that are root bound I just use an old saw and cut about an inch off the bottom and all sides. Done this for 20 years for my customers and not killed anything yet.

If planting the trees in the ground then dig a square hole and not a round one. Stops the roots going round in circles and killing the tree.

Permabanned

I have seen this done, and this is the right way to do it, but I have to say that every time I have broken up the root ball the darn things died.LOL. I guess I just don't have green fingers.

Associate
I think it’s mostly due to time of the year ( and luck) with things dying etc. Now is the perfect time for fruit trees before they bud up. That’s not to say everything always goes smoothly I did manage to kill a holly tree last year during transplant but I think that’s because I left too many leaves on it and the tree dried out

Associate
If planting the trees in the ground then dig a square hole and not a round one. Stops the roots going round in circles and killing the tree.

I only found out about this last week from a TV programme, hate to think how many rounded holes I dug for trees and shrubs over the years

Caporegime
OP
Fruit trees may be more sensitive so may not be suitable advice but with shrubs and topiary in pots that are root bound I just use an old saw and cut about an inch off the bottom and all sides. Done this for 20 years for my customers and not killed anything yet.

Mind = blown

Soldato
I would also hand water once a week, once potted up with liquid seaweed (directions on bottle), roots seem to love this stuff and it will help the tree recover faster.

Back
Top Bottom