US: The Wire USA TV show

Soldato
Ammaaaaaaazing reviews..... Watched 2 episodes and it seems slow and boring.

Is this a American thing?.... Or is it actually good?

The cop show with Dominic West as the lead? If so then yes I really enjoyed it. Like you say, its slow at the beginning so much so I dropped the show the first time I watched it but all the great reviews made me think I should give it another go, so I did and really enjoyed it

Permabanned
Someone asked this weeks go, it is slow and nearly got canned after 1 season.

It is highly rated even more than The Shield but I rate the latter higher again it does get a bit drawn out later on, neither are as good as the tow bet show ever made IMO > 24 and Prison break.

Soldato
First season is slow.. well it is all slow to be honest but the only weak link is season 2 and even that is still good.

The Wire and The Sopranos stand alone when it comes to the best TV shows

Soldato
Because it's a show based on nothing more than dialogue.

I've not long finished it for the 3rd time as my partner hasn't watched it and you realise how many small conversations or the way certain characters act for a few seconds proves to be vital information later in the series.

Without giving anything away there is a 4 second clip, maybe less, of a character in a certain place. If you missed that scene you would never realise there is this other personality to a character and it makes all the things he say make a lot more sense - plus it was funny.

It's not a show you can watch in the background. It demands and quite frankly deserves all of your attention.

There is no filler in The Wire. Everything is there for a reason and shows why Baltimore is the way Baltimore is.

"It's all in the game, yo"

Associate
I watched the entire series last year for the first time of the back of the hugely positive reviews.
I absolutely loved it.
It’s a show that really demands your whole attention...drama written to be watched for every second of screen time.
If you’re the sort of person who looks at your phone every few minutes then forget it, don’t waste your time because you’ll miss out on so much and come back here all confused saying you hate it because nothing makes sense and you’re bored.
Yes it’s slow, but it’s also about the nuances of people’s lives and how everything isn’t always so obvious.
Season 4 is a masterpiece.

Soldato
Because it's a show based on nothing more than dialogue.

I've not long finished it for the 3rd time as my partner hasn't watched it and you realise how many small conversations or the way certain characters act for a few seconds proves to be vital information later in the series.

Without giving anything away there is a 4 second clip, maybe less, of a character in a certain place. If you missed that scene you would never realise there is this other personality to a character and it makes all the things he say make a lot more sense - plus it was funny.

It's not a show you can watch in the background. It demands and quite frankly deserves all of your attention.

There is no filler in The Wire. Everything is there for a reason and shows why Baltimore is the way Baltimore is.

"It's all in the game, yo"

This is 100% the show. I loved watching it through for a second time last year with my wife who hadn't seen it before. She also loved it although I had to explain a few bits as she like so many struggled with the accents/voices early on.

Soldato
This is 100% the show. I loved watching it through for a second time last year with my wife who hadn't seen it before. She also loved it although I had to explain a few bits as she like so many struggled with the accents/voices early on.
My partner literally needed subtitles whenever Snoop was on the screen :p

Soldato
The wire is probably the best of its genre for ages.

dominic west’s accent is dodgy as hell. But it is all good for the viewing. Also I shook the mans hand at Victoria Train Station and share the same train carriage with him to Gatwick.

I can never get into Sopranos probably due to overdoes of gangster films. This is way above Sopranos in my world.

Man of Honour
I've never got the hype - it has some good characters and an OK story but I never really found it that interesting - never had any anticipation for watching the next episode, etc.

I don't mind slow stuff but I just never felt engaged by it.

Back
Top Bottom