• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Associate
Doubt they would, a lot of people seem to go for the "oc" variants of cards which is an aib option that nvidia don't offer. People generally go third party because of the better coolers, though this time around the lack of availability and gouging by stores is making the FE more in demand.
I think that’s probably done on purpose: if they made the best cards the partners would scream at unfair competition.

Caporegime
I think that’s probably done on purpose: if they made the best cards the partners would scream at unfair competition.

They stayed with the blower as long as they could as its a design that works in all case configs, axial coolers aren't as good in that respect as certain case configs make them recycle the hot air. But they basically reached the point where they needed to go with an axial style cooler as the blower fan was just hurting overall performance.

Associate
Bitcoin now $50,000 That will help things calm down https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56084499
By making it more profitable to mine?

will the move to ethereum 2.0 help the situation at all?
The point of GPU mining is to be able to switch coin, so it depends whether something will be profitable to GPU mine in the future.

Even before ETH 2.0 is the profitability decreases a lot some will sell their extra GPUs.

But remember that the shortage started BEFORE the recent rise in crypto prices.

Soldato
By making it more profitable to mine?

The point of GPU mining is to be able to switch coin, so it depends whether something will be profitable to GPU mine in the future.

Even before ETH 2.0 is the profitability decreases a lot some will sell their extra GPUs.

But remember that the shortage started BEFORE the recent rise in crypto prices.

I would argue that the shortage was caused by miners buying the bulk of the shipments direct at source since they saw the rise in crypto value coming. Everyone and their dog is trying to mine now hence why every overpriced gpu is being snapped up. The typical gamer should not be desperate enough to pay £850 for a 3070 but I've seen the cards go within seconds at that price. Only explanation is that miners are buying anything they can since they think they can get ROI within 6 months or less.

Associate
More than 70% of the ppl who commented on this thread are miners
29% gamers
1% genuine persons frustrated with the fact he is unable tgo buy a GPU at retail value.

Associate
It's also CPUs. Be thankful for the little things, like at least its not a global supply issue of food and billions of people aren't dying etc. With the vaccines happening around the world hopefully that helps things. Don't pay over MSRP for anything would be my advice.

Associate
Wow... 3070 (MSI Trio) retail prices have shot up to £799.99 and being sold out within 2-3 mins. I just watched it happened to a UK retailer (17 Feb), stock level was 10+.

I ordered mine (3070 MSI Trio) yesterday with another UK retailer for £719.99, then it was sold out again after 1-2 mins, stock level was 10+

Even 3090 are selling out within 10 mins at their £1.8k+ price tag!

Soldato
Wow... 3070 (MSI Trio) retail prices have shot up to £799.99 and being sold out within 2-3 mins. I just watched it happened to a UK retailer (17 Feb).

I ordered mine (MSI Trio) yesterday with another UK retailer for £719.99, then it was sold out again after 1-2 mins.

Even 3090 are selling out within 10 mins at their £1.8k+ price tag!

I wouldn't be surprised to see prices climb further TBH; used 5700 XTs are selling for over £700 on eBay. By comparison, £799 for a brand new 3070 is a bargain.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised to see prices climb further TBH; used 5700 XTs are selling for over £700 on eBay. By comparison, £799 for a brand new 3070 is a bargain.

3070 (MSI Trio) are currently selling for £800+ on eBay, so UK retailers are just playing catch up to match. It's going to get to a point where the scalpers will start taking a loss, haha to them when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom