• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If the 3080 10gb really does tank in Godfall due to Vram with RT turned on as can be seen in that video then the thread needs closed. A flagship card should not run into these problems so soon after release and it's been proven that 10gb is not enough. Anyone saying otherwise is probably blinded by the card currently sitting in there machine which is likely a 10gb card.

And the GPU itself is " not enough" in other scenarios. Putting the word "flagship" in the name of a card doesn't mean it can max all games in all scenarios at launch.

I can't recall a card that was ever able to max all games in all scenarios.

Turn down the settings.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
And the GPU itself is " not enough" in other scenarios. Putting the word "flagship" in the name of a card doesn't mean it can max all games in all scenarios at launch.

Turn down the settings.
Someone will be along shortly to say “you should not need to turn down settings on a flagship card”.

But here we are where a 6900XT and 3090 has to do so anyway and they cost a hell of a lot more money than a 3080.

Soldato
Someone will be along shortly to say “you should not need to turn down settings on a flagship card”.

But here we are where a 6900XT and 3090 has to do so anyway and they cost a hell of a lot more money than a 3080.

Has there ever been a card that could max-out all games in all scenarios at launch? I can't think of one myself.

All you have to do is pick an aspect of a given card you want to declare unacceptable, then find a scenario where settings must be reduced because of it. Right now it seems easier to find scenarios where the 3080 has to reduce settings due to a lack of GPU horsepower.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do you even bare to keep a 8gb card in your rig? You must be missing out on playing loads of games due to a lack of vram :p

Exactly this.

I wouldnt have an 8gb card any more, it would have been a 16gb card by now if things were not as they are. I do have a 16gb ps5 though :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Soldato

Turn down the settings.

Running out of gpu power is fine for some games but running out of vram imo is not ok this close to release. I get cards running out of vram with over the top texture packs but on a bog standard game that's not on imo for a card this new and expensive.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I wouldnt have an 8gb card any more, it would have been a 16gb card by now if things were not as they are. I do have a 16gb ps5 though :D:D:D:D
Haha. That 16Gb is not all for games though the OS uses a chunk of that ;):p

Yeah, things are bad. All Th0nt’s fault. If the like of @Th0nt were not buying 3090 to mine, you would maybe have your card :D

I got my 3080 FE at RRP and sold the codes so it worked out similar to the price people paid for a 6800 and have had it for months now. No regrets here.

Running out of gpu power is fine for some games but running out of vram imo is not ok this close to release. I get cards running out of vram with over the top texture packs but on a bog standard game that's not on imo for a card this new and expensive.
But why though? Just reduce texture by one setting and done. Just as you have to to get the desired FPS when you don’t have enough grunt. These days it’s hard to see the difference between high and ultra textures anyway. I guess it is horses for courses. But the way I see it is GDDRX 6 is expensive and I would not want to pay for 10 more gigabytes just to have 3080 performance. No sirry Bob! :D

Not like next gen cards are years away. Damn, by the time the said games that will need more than 10gb for maximum textures comes out, it will be around the corner or even out.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah, things are bad. All Th0nt’s fault. If the like of @Th0nt were not buying 3090 to mine, you would maybe have your card :D

MildForcefulBison-small.gif

Soldato
Haha. That 16Gb is not all for games though the OS uses a chunk of that ;):p

I got my 3080 FE at RRP and sold the codes so it worked out similar to the price people paid for a 6800 and have had it for months now. No regrets here.

But why though? Just reduce texture by one setting and done. Just as you have to to get the desired FPS when you don’t have enough grunt. These days it’s hard to see the difference between high and ultra textures anyway. I guess it is horses for courses. But the way I see it is GDDRX 6 is expensive and I would not want to pay for 10 more gigabytes just to have 3080 performance. No sirry Bob! :D

Not like next gen cards are years away. Damn, by the time the said games that will need more than 10gb for maximum textures comes out, it will be around the corner or even out.

It just shouldn't be an issue for a flagship card. There is always games that will push the gpu side and force me to lower settings but running out of Vram that just should not happen when paying that much money. I do tend to keep my cards 2-3 years so if i start off needing to lower settings for Vram what will i be sacrificing in 2-3 years. Vega 64 with 8gb vram is a well balanced card and will never push that buffer but a 3080 with 2 x the power and only 2gb more vram. To me it's just not well balanced and that already seems to show up in Godfall. just as well that it's supposed to be crap and probably not on many peoples radars.

With all that's going on atm i am even thinking about keeping this Vega 64 hoping for new cards sometime this year along with the hope that mining has went down the pan again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Running out of gpu power is fine for some games but running out of vram imo is not ok this close to release.

This seems rather arbitrary.

Just brush aside the lack of GPU power and rage on vram? Serriously?

Playing with lowered settings is playing with lowered settings.

The end result is the same. -Still a "flagship card." -Still playing with lowered settings.

Soldato
Is 10GB vram enough for the 3080?...

- Right now? Just about
- In a year? Probably not
- Should Nvidia have designed the 3080 to have less Vram than the previous 2 generations of 'flagship' cards? **** NO!

I think everyone, if they're honest can agree on the last one? (Actually what am I thinking, this is the internet where no one agrees on anything).

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Lol :D

It just shouldn't be an issue for a flagship card. There is always games that will push the gpu side and force me to lower settings but running out of Vram that just should not happen when paying that much money. I do tend to keep my cards 2-3 years so if i start off needing to lower settings for Vram what will i be sacrificing in 2-3 years. Vega 64 with 8gb vram is a well balanced card and will never push that buffer but a 3080 with 2 x the power and only 2gb more vram. To me it's just not well balanced and that already seems to show up in Godfall. just as well that it's supposed to be crap and probably not on many peoples radars.

With all that's going on atm i am even thinking about keeping this Vega 64 hoping for new cards sometime this year along with the hope that mining has went down the pan again.

It is the same thing. End of the day as I said 10GB of GDDRX 6 is not not cheap. If they added that it would mean the price would go up a lot. No thanks. 10GB does the job in every game to date as far as I am concerned. Even if you are picky like some, it still does the job in 99.99% of games ever made to date.

Why is it not ok to lower textures one notch if ever needed but ok to lower lod or other settings?

I just think it is a personal preference thing in the end. I just do not see it as an issue as I know 10gb will not be an issue for the duration of the time it is in my rig. The bigger issue is it runs out of performance on a lot more games than it does vram.

The end result is the same. -Still a "flagship card." -Still playing with lowered settings.
+1

Soldato

- Right now? Just about
- Should Nvidia have designed the 3080 to have less Vram than the previous 2 generations of 'flagship' cards? **** NO!

I think everyone, if they're honest can agree on the last one? (Actually what am I thinking, this is the internet where no one agrees on anything).

Incoming endless posts about "Nvidia did the right thing, I don't want to pay another $100 extra to get more VRAM", forgetting that $100 is jack squat on the $1200 they already paid for the card :p:D:p

Soldato

Never once have i had to play with game settings due to not having enough Vram and i don't intend ever buying a card where the gpu is held back by vram amount.

Associate
Incoming endless posts about "Nvidia did the right thing, I don't want to pay another $100 extra to get more VRAM", forgetting that $100 is jack squat on the $1200 they already paid for the card :p:D:p

Another 10GB of GDDR6X is only $100? I think you got ripped off with that 3090 then :D

Associate

- Right now? Just about

Why should it have more than the previous flagship.

It has 2GB more than the 2080, wider memory interface and faster memory...sounds like an upgrade over the previous generation.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Would have been more than $100 and I paid £649 for my 3080 :D

Another 10GB of GDDR6X is only $100? I think you got ripped off with that 3090 then :D
You know what they say about Grim.

All the gear....

...no idea :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom