• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Says it all really, even getting them before they're on sale. What chance have actual gamers got while this **** show continues?

I think it might be a nice touch by nvidia if they enable resize bar going back a bit just as a nod to gamers who can't buy their new cards. They could just do founders and leave it up to partners to do the other ones. Won't happen but would be nice for the non miners

Soldato
Hi

I am loving my 3090FE despite initially having buyers remorse getting it. (I got fed up going for a 3080 sensibly priced)
Has anyone taken the backplate off and replaced the thermal pads on it to get the memory temps down a bit. I am worried at how hot the ram on the back is. Such a shame as the rest of the card so super cool. Igor's lab did something with a 3080 but the 3090 has more ram. I am a follower not a leader in such things ;)

Soldato
Hi

I am loving my 3090FE despite initially having buyers remorse getting it. (I got fed up going for a 3080 sensibly priced)
Has anyone taken the backplate off and replaced the thermal pads on it to get the memory temps down a bit. I am worried at how hot the ram on the back is. Such a shame as the rest of the card so super cool. Igor's lab did something with a 3080 but the 3090 has more ram. I am a follower not a leader in such things ;)
Temps are probably fine unless you're planning to mine with it.

Soldato
Temps are probably fine unless you're planning to mine with it.

I am doing..... It's a gaming PC 1st but I am having a dabble for the 1st time ever to try to pull some of the expense back. That said temps hit 102 degrees even gaming. That is hot for ram.

There is no downside to doing it (other than killing the GPU but all it is doing is exposing a design flaw in general imo. ) My work office has electric heating which I am now able to turn off so I doubt I am using much more electricity either.

Soldato
Hi

I'm the same. Wanted a 3080FE at msrp but not a human chance of getting one, and I'm not paying way over the odds for AIB cards, if you can even get them.
I did full twisted man logic to convince myself that spending £1400 on a 3090FE is somehow 'better' than spending around £900 on a 3080.

Anyway, regarding temps and specifically VRAM temps I've been running a few tests for the last few days. Here's what I found, a few specific examples I'll list here:

(Now, I should add that this was on my 3090FE running my base level undervolt curve in Afterburner - a constant boost speed of 1740Mhz core at only 0.80v. If I let the card run with higher volts then the core temps and presumably the mem temps will increase.)

- Heaven Benchmark, max settings, 3440x1440 res, 30 mins loop: core: 65c | mem: 86c

- Control, max settings, full ray tracing, 3440x1440 res, walking around a taxing area for c15 mins: core: 66c | mem: 94c (EDIT: + with DLSS on goes down to around 86c)

-
Quake II RTX, default settings with ray tracing, 3440x1440 res, walking around a taxing area for c15 mins: core: 68c | mem: 98c!!

The most punishing thing in the world, more than any other game or benchmark test that I can determine - is Quake II RTX (free on Steam). I believe it uses full path-tracing, a super high-fidelity form of ray tracing, and it totally batters the 3090FE to death.

Anecdotally, most games without any ray tracing - the VRAM temps are generally in the mid 80's

I believe that the GDDR6 VRAM is rated ok up to 105c, and mining has been pushing temps to 110c.

One other key thing I've observed is regarding fan speeds on the card. At the moment I've left it at default so the card's bios is controlling speeds. Even running Quake II when the vram temps hit 98c, the fan speeds were only going at around 1300rpm max (which is only 50% speed and still pretty quiet!). This makes me think that the card, and therefore Nvidia think that 98c is perfectly 'OK' as I believe the fans will ramp right up to a hair dryeresque 2000+rpm when things aren't right and it might throttle.

P.S. If you don't know already - Get HWinfo64 and you can see the "memory junction temperature" yourself to monitor your VRAM temps. I'm going to see how it goes, as I don't care about benchmarks really, and I won't play Quake II RTX, so for most games I suspect that VRAM temps will be fine on the FE, especially if you run an undervolt curve.

I might consider modding the thermal pads in a few months time, if I think it really needs it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am doing..... It's a gaming PC 1st but I am having a dabble for the 1st time ever to try to pull some of the expense back. That said temps hit 102 degrees even gaming. That is hot for ram.

There is no downside to doing it (other than killing the GPU but all it is doing is exposing a design flaw in general imo. ) My work office has electric heating which I am now able to turn off so I doubt I am using much more electricity either.
Then some pads Under the backplate are probably a good idea, I did see a post somewhere of a guy who also stuck small heat syncs on the backplate above where the ram chips sit then had a fan over them.

Man of Honour
- Quake II RTX: default settings with ray tracing, 3440x1440 res, walking around a taxing area for c15 mins: core: 68c mem: 98c!!

Quake 2 RTX uses multiple gigabyte buffers for ray tracing on the GPU at higher resolutions/quality settings which necessitate a fair bit of memory traffic.

Soldato
Then some pads Under the backplate are probably a good idea, I did see a post somewhere of a guy who also stuck small heat syncs on the backplate above where the ram chips sit then had a fan over them.
That may have been me...
It looks awful but it has taken 5 degrees off.
But still 102-106 degrees with that and my side of case off.....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GiFWZP9na2SZFKtBA

I am going to remove the backplate but need to know where extra pads need to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
That may have been me...

I am going to remove the backplate but need to know where extra pads need to go.

What are you getting 102-106 degrees in? Mining or a particular game/ bench? (sorry if you've said laready)....

Soldato
Mining. I haven't tested.what it would get gaming with that messy solution.... But I suspect it will be ok. The headsink and fans have knocked a good few degrees off it. Bone headed Tho. It would have cost pennies for NV to use a bit more thermal.tape to get more heat to the backplate.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You can blame @TNA for that. Buying up an FE and also a TUF AIB at same time... ;)
Lol. I cancelled the latter. OcUK missed out on my money as they took way to long to deliver. Worst part is I was only like 70th or something in the que that had thousands. There are people probably still waiting now in that queue.

Associate
That may have been me...

Check out post #29 in this thread https://www.overclock.net/threads/possibly-widespread-cooling-issues-on-rtx-3090-fe.1775245/page-2

Some guy from there even made himself a brand new copper backplate!

A2B

A2B

Associate
Check out post #29 in this thread https://www.overclock.net/threads/possibly-widespread-cooling-issues-on-rtx-3090-fe.1775245/page-2

Some guy from there even made himself a brand new copper backplate!

Yeah sounds promising, 'McFluff' writes (Possibly widespread cooling issues on RTX 3090 FE | Page 2 | Overclock.net):

Before I the mod I could pass Port Royal at 220+ Clock and +1100 Memory, now I can do +230 and +1250.

The overclocking gains are marginal,
the bigger issue to me was the automatic fan ramp up to 100% on memory intensive tasks like eth mining. After the mod, the same setting that would have pegged me at 100% before, (85% power, -150 core, +1200 memory) keep me at 75% now.

Associate
Associate
I seem to be famous (those aren't my pictures).

Some more neater pad mods I've seen done.

All are 1.5mm thickness pads (either Thermalright or Gelid or Grizzly).

Thanks for the guide, no decent 1.5mm pads anywhere at the moment though.

Seems fairly straightforward, that pesky black and yellow cable seems to be the trickiest part!

Back
Top Bottom