New mouse replacement for MS Optical wheel mouse

Associate
After nearly eleven years, it finally died, the right click no longer works. Will try playing around with it tomorrow but thinking about replacement options.

Sad to see Microsoft don't make mice anymore. Looking online, everything seems be either cheap tat or super expensive "gaming pro" mice with 50 buttons on it. No way my clunky fingers will like those.

Just looking for something similar to what i have now, a functional but not overly fancy mouse that feels good. Three buttons on top, that's it, the sides are for movement the mouse, not pressing buttons.

Edit - actually it looks like MS do still make mice, also it needs to be wired

Associate
OP
You see, this kind of **** ****** me off

(edit, removed url, forgot they are sensitive about that here, it was a retailer customer review showing the latest MS optical mouse to be like a fifth smaller than previous versions like mine)

Why reduce the size? Did everyone's hands get smaller in the past couple fo decades?

Associate
Associate
OP
Did you even read my post, that kind of 50 button rgb nonsense is what I'm trying to avoid, and avoid paying fifty quid as well.

Buying a mouse is a pain as you can't really try before you buy. Makes it even more infuriating that manufacturers decided to reduce the size (and build quality?) of them, presumably to cut costs.

Associate
Do you want a symmetrical mouse like the MS wheel mouse or it doesn't matter? Because the MS Intellimouse 3.0 is the new version of the original intellimouse, it's large and it's actually a good mouse. Deathadder essential is like 30-35gbp. I don't know many large symmetrical mice, except maybe the steelseries or corsair, but they are gonna be the gamer type mice that also cost over 50.

They reduced the size of mice because most people prefer smaller and lighter mice.

Last edited:
Associate
After nearly eleven years, it finally died, the right click no longer works. Will try playing around with it tomorrow but thinking about replacement options.

Sad to see Microsoft don't make mice anymore. Looking online, everything seems be either cheap tat or super expensive "gaming pro" mice with 50 buttons on it. No way my clunky fingers will like those.

Just looking for something similar to what i have now, a functional but not overly fancy mouse that feels good. Three buttons on top, that's it, the sides are for movement the mouse, not pressing buttons.

Edit - actually it looks like MS do still make mice, also it needs to be wired
Logitech G305. It does have 2 small buttons on the side but you can easily disable them.

Man of Honour
It is annoying - I'm a big fan of the original WMO 1.1a but no one really makes mice like that any more - currently the closest is the Zowie FK series but they've gone down hill and up in price a lot since the BenQ acquisition. So dunno what I'd buy now.

Fortunately I found a place that had a load of the WMO 1.1a sitting in the back of their shop so bought the lot to fall back on (sorry not selling) if needs be. Though amusingly some people are trying to sell them new for £150-500 LOL (used around £15).

Associate
OP
I will wake up in a cold sweat after having nightmares about side buttons. Do people not accidentally press them when moving the mouse like I do?

Bought myself a cheap Logitech B100. It feels cheaply made but sturdy enough. It is smaller which is taking a while to get used to. The middle mouse button can be a pain to click, it requires too much force for such a small mouse and I need to put my hand in an awkward position to use it. Apart from that, it's a decent stop gap for a fiver or so.

Was thinking of buying a second hand MS mouse, but they look pretty grotty.

Soldato
You could look at Microsoft's new Intellimouse Classic. But if you game I'd urge you reconsider your rationale - good quality mice of today are advertised as gaming mice and that's just how it is. Having had a much beloved 1.1a back in the day, I can assure you that it's reputation as the best mouse ever made is a meme. It certainly was in it's day, but it doesn't hold a candle to good modern mice. Large symmetrical mice have gone out of favour unfortunately, but for good reason. Most people find the modern shapes more comfortable. Amongst the other recommendations given, I'd check out the Razor Death Adder v2, Razor Viper and Glorious O or D. The zowie FK2-b ticks some of your boxes, but its hard to find at a good price. I bought the wireless version of the Glorious O last week, and I'm floored by how good it is.

Here.. check out rocketjumpninja.com. There's a 'find a mouse' link somewhere on the front page where you can input your measurements and other needs, and you get his recommendations. He knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also like simple mice for big hands, and currently i’m loving the Glorious Model D and the Razer Deathadder. They’re a bit pricey especially the Razer but they’re also very good mice.

Back
Top Bottom