Applying for Probate (advice appreciated)

Associate
Just as a small bit of advice, this service is very useful.

https://www.deathnotificationservice.co.uk/

It did pop up something I didn't find any paperwork for. I'm sure you'll be on top of all the administration in no time, but between that service and the the "Tell Us Once" service I felt like I didn't have to worry too much about missing something.

Sorry if that's not helpful!

Associate
My dad's estate was pretty simple (house without mortgage, cash, investments, life assurance), and I did it all myself (including sorting inheritance tax - value was just above threshold, but some additional allowances related to when my mum died and the value of that estate sorted that). Took a while, but I found it cathartic to be sure everything was sorted properly.

If I had the choice again, I'd definitely do it myself and not go through a solicitor.

Soldato
Sorry for your loss.:(

Do you get on with your siblings? I'm dreading mum going as none of us( brother, sister) are on speaking terms.

I know I'm executor of the will what ever that means. Sorry I can't be of more help, again sorry for you loss.

Soldato
See here: https://www.gov.uk/applying-for-probate

When probate is not needed
You may not need probate if the person who died:

• had jointly owned land, property, shares or money - these will automatically pass to the surviving owners
  • only had savings or premium bonds
Contact each asset holder (for example a bank or mortgage company) to find out if you’ll need probate to get access to their assets. Every organisation has its own rules.

Most of the organisations I dealt with when handling my mum's estate needed to see the grant of probate. The only one that didn't waived it because it was less than £250 in the account.
Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realise the difference between grant of probate and letters of administration. When my dad died without a will it was an absolute nightmare.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for your loss.:(

Do you get on with your siblings? I'm dreading mum going as none of us( brother, sister) are on speaking terms.

I know I'm executor of the will what ever that means. Sorry I can't be of more help, again sorry for you loss.

Yes thankfully we do get on, that means you are the chosen one that has to sort everything out when the time comes.

Soldato
Hope you can access title on the house and they are named. Going through this with an uncle with various parts of land not all of which it turns out he had title for. Its gone on for YEARS.

Back
Top Bottom