Anyone still using an older case than me?

Man of Honour
The current case on my main PC is pretty old - purchased June 2002. Chieftec Blue Dragon, which at the time I think was considered decent on this forum. Think it was priced around £70 or thereabouts which at the time was not high end but not cheap either; I wanted something that would last and to be honest I thought it would be redundant within 10 years due a change in form factor or something. Has cost about 1p a day. Some of the paint is is peeling off the top of it, but generally it has held up pretty well.

Anyone got an older case still used daily on their main rig? Maybe an old Lian-Li or something?

Associate
Not for my PC, but I am still using this case from... 1999 I think, for a server:

front.jpg

I don't remember the brand, but it was some cheap unknown company. The case was both very cheap and surprisingly good quality. It's been modified a bit over the years- cut some extra fan holes, removed drive cage, and sprayed over the original beige. It's good that cases from decades ago are still compatible with modern parts. The above photo of the server is in fact being served by that server.

Associate
Not sure if this is older, about the same age possibly I think, but this is mine...
https://images.app.goo.gl/eQzw9GrFZoKaKdv59

The drive blanks are different shades of white/cream where I've changed drives over the years, one of the front USB ports is dead and the other is a bit dodgy. The top panel vibrates a lot at certain fan speeds, and cooling isn't great so my fans are noisy....which is why I'm in this forum looking for ideas for a new case!

Soldato
Not sure if this is older, about the same age possibly I think, but this is mine...
https://images.app.goo.gl/eQzw9GrFZoKaKdv59

The drive blanks are different shades of white/cream where I've changed drives over the years, one of the front USB ports is dead and the other is a bit dodgy. The top panel vibrates a lot at certain fan speeds, and cooling isn't great so my fans are noisy....which is why I'm in this forum looking for ideas for a new case!
There some interesting old stuff to look at in that link

Like it used to be $1586 for a 19" monitor on that website :eek: Samsung LCD 19 inch 191T TFT WITH DVI (grapevine.com.au)

Lucky they had the 17" for only $1230 :D:D:D Samsung Lcd 17 inch 172T TFT With DVI (grapevine.com.au)

HAHA 56k Modems , them very slow internet speeds are best forgotten about :D

Last edited:
Associate
I've got an antec sonata that's quite old. It's in daily use but only as a footrest or hmd stand. I think there's a q6600 and a 970 in there, not booted it up in a while.
Also got a thermaltake armor in the shed that's a similar age. In daily use holding up all the crap that's piled on top of it and stopping the two 22" crts behind it from falling over

Associate
There some interesting old stuff to look at in that link

Like it used to be $1586 for a 19" monitor on that website :eek: Samsung LCD 19 inch 191T TFT WITH DVI (grapevine.com.au)

Lucky they had the 17" for only $1230 :D:D:D Samsung Lcd 17 inch 172T TFT With DVI (grapevine.com.au)

HAHA 56k Modems , them very slow internet speeds are best forgotten about :D

Yeh, I recognise a few old cases on there that friends and family had. Maybe they were all pretty generic design, pretty sure my 56k modem looked a lot like those. Mind you, 56k was a dream after starting out with 33.6k :D

Talking of old kit, my brother found someone selling an old TV, same model I had hooked up to my Commodore 16 back in the day.....for a full £2k. And it sold at that. I guess it must be a collectors item now, shame I hadn't kept it lol.

Associate
I thought I was bad for just retiring a 12 year old Lian Li from Maplin....

It has bashed and beaten but usable. A pain to build in these days with lots of 5.25, 3.5 bays and fixed internal 3.5 bays.

Replaced it with a Lancool Ii with mesh kit and the other add-ons (usb c, hot swap bay kit and anti sag kit).
Only annoyances are it isn't aluminium and weighs a ton when built.
Don't like glass panels but nobody sees the PC in its location.

Associate
Not for my PC, but I am still using this case from... 1999 I think, for a server:

front.jpg

I don't remember the brand, but it was some cheap unknown company. The case was both very cheap and surprisingly good quality. It's been modified a bit over the years- cut some extra fan holes, removed drive cage, and sprayed over the original beige. It's good that cases from decades ago are still compatible with modern parts. The above photo of the server is in fact being served by that server.

Love the case i myself have 3 old beige cases for various uses. What software is that running to show ths stats?

20200720_121005-768x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Purchased my case in January 2001 from OCUK with my student loan. I has been with me through roughly 15 house moves and has lasted longer than my marriage. It originally housed an AMD 1Ghz Athlon, and has had around 4 main iterations and many graphics card since. Currently contains a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, and a Radeon RX 5700. I recently removed the Creative Live! Drive that had been in it since 2001, and two redundant DVD \ Blu-Ray writers. I filled the three 5.25" slots with mounts for SSD drives, one of which is dual-bay and has a fan sucking air in. Mostly I was just sick of looking at the Live! Drive :D

Last edited:
Associate
Got a Antec 3000 in the garage but it might be dumped soon

checked it out last night and it still had a gtx 560 installed in the dead motherboard

Back
Top Bottom